Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rich Bouselli
United States
Carteret
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Where do you guys go to find a gaming group? I have tons of games and can never seem to get enough people together. Or get enough people that are interested in the games I play.

So, I'm looking for some local people or groups to get together with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
By Meow Command!
badge
Mold the chaos into something beautiful
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you checked Meetup.com to see if there is a board gaming meetup in your area? Or maybe a Facebook group?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L W
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In addition to Meetup, there are regional forums here on BGG. I know in my region folks post for gaming groups frequently. Another good place to meet boardgamers is to drop by a local gaming store. My FLGS hosts an open gaming night once a week and it's a great place to get in on pick up games. Best of luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I've found meeting people at local game stores more productive than meetup, but this may depend on where you live.

You can post under your region in the forum ... May turn up some geeks that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Bouselli
United States
Carteret
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oriecat wrote:
Have you checked Meetup.com to see if there is a board gaming meetup in your area? Or maybe a Facebook group?

I have tried meet up actually, most of them are too far from me. But I keep checking it anyway. I may even make a post on there of my own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Bouselli
United States
Carteret
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Budapest wrote:
In addition to Meetup, there are regional forums here on BGG. I know in my region folks post for gaming groups frequently. Another good place to meet boardgamers is to drop by a local gaming store. My FLGS hosts an open gaming night once a week and it's a great place to get in on pick up games. Best of luck.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Bouselli
United States
Carteret
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SpaceAlien wrote:
I've found meeting people at local game stores more productive than meetup, but this may depend on where you live.

You can post under your region in the forum ... May turn up some geeks that way.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Kessinger
United States
Smiths Grove
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Budapest wrote:

Local gaming stores are awesome for that. Also check local bookstores. I run the game night at my local Barnes and Noble and am always trying to get the word out about it but people don't tend to think about a bookstore when they think about board games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duo Maxwell
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
oriecat wrote:

Yep, Meetup.com. However, just be careful joining Meetups. There are all types of people at meetups, some good, some bad. You might need to go to a few until you find one that fits you.

I personally, had a horror story about one of my meetups. I have been to quite a few meetups but this one had people that were obnoxious, belligerent, constantly perverting rules wins, arguing, and saying racially insensitive comments. This incident represents 1% of my meetups and I personally feel this is *not* the norm. However, you never know where personality clashes might exist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Edwards
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Only went to one event I found on meetup.com. They were busting out Cards Against Humanity as I walked in. So I just pretended to be a lost muggle and got out of there like a hiker backing away from a sleeping bear. It's a good service though and I'm sure people have success with it.

What worked for me was just networking. Talking to game store owners and people in the store. Going to local cons, meeting people, and getting to know them. As I met and got to know more and more gamers in the area, I started getting invited to more and more things. Honestly, it took a few years. I'm not an outgoing person and I'm terrible at small talk. But after some persistance, now there is more gaming available to me than I have time to attend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Bouselli
United States
Carteret
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oph1d1an wrote:
Only went to one event I found on meetup.com. They were busting out Cards Against Humanity as I walked in. So I just pretended to be a lost muggle and got out of there like a hiker backing away from a sleeping bear. It's a good service though and I'm sure people have success with it.

What worked for me was just networking. Talking to game store owners and people in the store. Going to local cons, meeting people, and getting to know them. As I met and got to know more and more gamers in the area, I started getting invited to more and more things. Honestly, it took a few years. I'm not an outgoing person and I'm terrible at small talk. But after some persistance, now there is more gaming available to me than I have time to attend.

Cards against humanity doesn't bother me. With the right group it can be hilarious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Bouselli
United States
Carteret
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Braldar wrote:
Budapest wrote:

Local gaming stores are awesome for that. Also check local bookstores. I run the game night at my local Barnes and Noble and am always trying to get the word out about it but people don't tend to think about a bookstore when they think about board games.

Exactly! I'm in bed midst of trying set up my own gaming group and that was one of the locations that I've thought about using. As they sell a nice selection of games as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Bouselli
United States
Carteret
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cbrook29 wrote:
oriecat wrote:

Yep, Meetup.com. However, just be careful joining Meetups. There are all types of people at meetups, some good, some bad. You might need to go to a few until you find one that fits you.

I personally, had a horror story about one of my meetups. I have been to quite a few meetups but this one had people that were obnoxious, belligerent, constantly perverting rules wins, arguing, and saying racially insensitive comments. This incident represents 1% of my meetups and I personally feel this is *not* the norm. However, you never know where personality clashes might exist.

This is what I'm always weary of. I love to joke around and have fun. But I also don't sit back and take crap from anyone. So my concern has always been falling into a group with hyper aggressive and competitive people that start arguments with you. Not a good combination for me, bad things will happen lmao.
I'm not an aggressive person at all, but I won't let you belittle me or act like an ass hat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Marceau
United States
Benicia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Where do you live? I posted on the regional pager of BGG in my area and found a few game groups.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Bouselli
United States
Carteret
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hitfordcycle wrote:
Where do you live? I posted on the regional pager of BGG in my area and found a few game groups.

New Jersey

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Bouselli
United States
Carteret
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
TheRubexCube wrote:
Hitfordcycle wrote:

New Jersey

Now go to misc> Find users> Find gamers > enter zip code 07008

It pulls up at least a dozen bggers within a 5 mile radius.

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to figure out which users are active, have your interest in Games, then geek mail them.

Likewise, you could click on the flag that just appeared below your user name. Fill in the appropriate search boxes and repeat.

Edit: assuming I got the right zip code, but you get the idea.

That's awesome! Thanks for the help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angel Opportunity
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
I can be pretty picky, and I've moved a lot, so here is my advice:

You're never going to find the perfect group. Best case scenario is that there are a lot of people locally that play games, and you can go to the big meetups and slowly figure out which people prefer the same types of games you do. You can also slowly figure out if there are people who have such bad personalities that you'd rather just avoid them entirely. It's unfortunately the case that a non-zero percentage of people who play boardgames are really bad, and you wouldn't--for instance--want to make an open invitation to your house without meeting the people first.

Don't show up to a new group and insist everyone plays the game you want to play. Have it there, offer it as a thing to play if people seem interested. Try to feel out the people who really like games that you do, and network with them to potentially form a smaller core group with which you can meet up separately and play the games you like with. I personally find it very annoying and off-putting when a new player shows up to a group with a game and says "Hey guys I really want to play this," and does it in a way that implies he will ONLY play that game. It forces us to just give in and play it so as not to come off as rude or unwelcoming, but it definitely rubs me the wrong way.

You have to be willing to play games you aren't crazy about--up to a point. There are a few types of games that are a "hard pass" for me (Arkham Horror or other super long Ameritrashy games). Draw a line somewhere and be willing to veto a game you REALLY don't want to play, but realize you'll probably have to take whatever the alternative offered is. If the group is only interested in playing games you just don't care about, move on.

Be willing to try games you think you might not like. Unless you've been gaming for a while, you may be surprised at how much you like something you didn't think you'd enjoy.

Finally, don't try too hard to "convert" non-gamer friends. I know that my ideal setup when I first got into this was that the people who I already liked and were friends with would get into this, and it would be way more fun because I was playing with my friends. Try a few gateway games with them, and unless you can tell from their reaction to the gateway game that they've really got interest in it, just give up. You don't want to be "that board game person" who is always forcing their friends to play a game when they just want to chill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duo Maxwell
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
TheRubexCube wrote:
Oph1d1an wrote:

Cards against humanity doesn't bother me. With the right group it can be hilarious.

I agree, Cards Against Humanity can be fun with the right group. I have the game but I only play with close friends and my sisters.

Cards Against Humanity is only one game of many that I enjoy. I love Euros, War Games, etc.

I own and play Cthulhu Wars, Blood Rage, Assault of the Giants, Scythe, Covert, A Fake Artist Comes to NY, Santorini, Lords of Waterdeep, Viticulture, Gallerist, Kingdoms of Valeria, and I love Captain Sonar (but I don't own that one). This is just a small selection of games I love to play.

This is not to show you a list of my games but to show people that just because people play or enjoy Cards Against Humanity doesn't mean they curse like a sailor or are knuckle dragging troglodytes.

However, if Cards Against Humanity is not your thing and you wanted to leave because the game made you uncomfortable, I understand and that is your right. Or if you do not like people who use curse words that is also your right. However, it is also entirely possible that you may have made some assumptions based on the playing of this one game. lol perhaps I am being too presumptuous of you. Either way, I hope you found a group that suits your taste.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flum Tumbler
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks BGG for this thread.
Special thanks to Koldfoot for the finding players in your area hint/instrutions
Found a group and going to my first public social board game group this week soblue
hoping it goes ok.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg S.
United States
North Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rich,

Don't listen to these guys with their "high tech" answers. Meetup, shmeetup. BGG, SMEEGG.

The best way to find people for a gaming group is the old fashioned way:

1. Print copies of a full page flier with little pull tabs at the bottom with your phone number.
2. Post the fliers on the advert cork board at the grocery store
3. Post the fliers on nearby pay phones
4. Post the fliers on telephone poles in your neighborhood
5. Go to your local Walmart and leave them on the windshields in the parking lot

Before you know it, you'll have the best gaming group ever. Guaranteed. Or my name ain't Sam Shmulsky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Sims
United States
Hillsboro
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My local comic shop hosts a game day every sunday. The shop itself has a whole wall of games that are there just for people to play.

You could check that out if you have any local shops yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.