Star Wars: Rebellion» Forums » Rules

Subject: Verify rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
chris q
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Question, The 3 sabotage objective card for the rebels seems impossible to get points for. The imperials have a starter mission card that they get to play everytime to resolve the sabotage marker and have it removed with out opposition. Are we playing these mission cards wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If the empire is determined not to have three sabotaged systems, it's not gonna happen...though remember imperial systems with rebel units also count toward that objective.

Also...you are accomplishing something just by virtue of the fact that a leader assigned to R&D mission is not getting them any closer to finding your base. The Empire has to be very careful about falling into the "too many missions" trap. They win by activating systems, for the most part. When I'm playing the Empire, I ask myself "will this mission get me closer to finding or crushing the base?". If the answer is no...I don't assign a leader to it. You show me an Imperial player that assigns lots of leaders to missions and I'll show you an Imperial player that probably loses a lot if they are playing against decent rebel players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Yeah, as Craig alluded to, one of the great strengths for the Rebels by constantly sabotaging the Imperial systems is that you're forcing the Empire to be constantly busy fixing them! Sure, the Rebels may never get to play that particular Objective card, but just the threat of it will always keep the Empire busy fixing the sabotage. Otherwise they would find a better way to employ those leaders against you instead!

So don't consider that Objective card as a goal for the Rebels... rather think of it as a threat for the Empire to deal with.

Plus as Craig also mentioned, you may find yourself with some Rebel units in a few Imperial systems... in which case that card may all of the sudden become a very viable goal!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris q
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Yeah, you may be right. Only my second time playing and I get the odds are suppose to be stacked against the rebels but some of the imperial mssion cards seem so unfair. My opponent was no where near my rebel base but at the start of our next turn he started making his way there. I didn't play the relocate my rebel base card on this turn but I figure I got time cause I knew he couldn't get there because of how he had to play his leaders and move his units. Oh but I was wrong he just played his move his ground unit card ignoring adjacency rules on his last command and I was done. HA, I'm just bitter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite way to use sabotage is to do it first thing every round (when strategic considerations allow) and target a system containing units I know the Empire will want to move that round. They will almost always choose to let the mission succeed rather than locking their units down by sending a leader to oppose. Then, if it's a subjugated system (and it usually is), they have to either move all their ground units out and give up a system or deal with having a sabotaged one. It's a win/win for the rebels either way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris q
United States
New York
flag msg tools
I did forget about the rebel units part. I feel like I got to read these cards like 20 times before I finally get. I'm relatively new to these heavy mechanic board games but I do really like it.
Thanks for the replies

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michel Kangro
Germany
Bonn
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not having the cards in front of me, doesn't the fixing with the starter card need imperial loyalty? So in order to fix a sabotage on a subjugated system, the imps not only need to do their fixing mission, but their diplo mission as well. Do that a fes times and either the imp will have had a lot of missions going on or you will have your goal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mideg wrote:
Not having the cards in front of me, doesn't the fixing with the starter card need imperial loyalty? So in order to fix a sabotage on a subjugated system, the imps not only need to do their fixing mission, but their diplo mission as well. Do that a fes times and either the imp will have had a lot of missions going on or you will have your goal.

Sadly, it's been so long since I played that I'm not positive, but I'm fairly sure R&D can be played in any Imperial system, which means both loyal to or subjugated by the Empire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris q
United States
New York
flag msg tools
That's a great way of using the sabotage marker. I'm still try to get a real good grasp of the rules that strategy is kinda failing me right now. Any other good pointers, playing as the rebels? I feel like I want to get that dynamic down first before I move on to the imperials, then the advanced game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
totalpackage23 wrote:
That's a great way of using the sabotage marker. I'm still try to get a real good grasp of the rules that strategy is kinda failing me right now. Any other good pointers, playing as the rebels? I feel like I want to get that dynamic down first before I move on to the imperials, then the advanced game

A big thing to remember about playing rebels is how Rapid Mobilization works and when you should assign it if you are feeling your base is threatened. When there is an imperial force you think could crush your base within 2 systems of your base, you need to assign RM. You may not end up revealing the mission if the Empire moves that force away from your base (and even if you do, you don't have to actually use it)...but if you wait till that force is adjacent to your base system before assigning RM, it could be too late due to the fact that RM resolves at the very end of the command phase rather than when it is revealed, like every other mission.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris q
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Yes, just looking at the card now and it say loyalty marker only, so it couldn't be done in subjugated system. I missed that part as well
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris q
United States
New York
flag msg tools
csouth154 wrote:
totalpackage23 wrote:

A big thing to remember about playing rebels is how Rapid Mobilization works and when you should assign it if you are feeling your base is threatened. When there is an imperial force you think could crush your base within 2 systems of your base, you need to assign RM. You may not end up revealing the mission if the Empire moves that force away from your base...but if you wait till that force is adjacent to your base system before assigning RM, it could be too late due to the fact that RM resolves at the very end of the command phase rather than when it is revealed, like every other mission.

That was a big mistake on my part. The first game we played I did move my base early when I felt mildly threatened and I wound up winning but we didn't play a lot of the rules right so it was an empty victory
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some notes:

The objective allows for a combination of sabotage and blockading (rebel unit in imperial system)

To fix a sabotage with R&D it needs to an imperial loyal system, so if u sabotage subjugated systems they will most likely not be fixed, maybe they will be abandoned to prevent this objective.

For the guy that said he likes to sabotage early...i dont like that, it lets the imperial player know you want to prevent him from moving, while this could be a good idea, I rather wait till they dont have any activations left.
Ofcousre this could be a mind game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jooice wrote:
For the guy that said he likes to sabotage early...i dont like that, it lets the imperial player know you want to prevent him from moving,

Lol...the empire finds your base by spreading out and searching systems. This is done by moving. You always want to prevent the empire from moving into any system they haven't searched. It's not exactly a secret...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodrigo Pipoli
Brazil
flag msg tools
It depends. On you very first round, do you sabotage the system with an imperial fleet closest to the Rebel Base or farthest? You might be giving away some intel by where you sabotage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.