Popular Tags: [View All]
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcassonne was one of the early Euros I got into back in my gaming Renaissance.

I enjoyed the base game but finally got tired of the endless expansions (and thought like many folks that Carcassonne: Expansion 7 – The Catapult made the game jump the shark).

Despite losing my taste for basic Carcassonne, I still really enjoy Carcassonne: Hunters and Gatherers, Carcassonne: The City, and the Castle.

My wife in particular likes the Castle, and it's one of our go to games. I remember being very excited about the Falcon expansion when it was announced, but like a lot of folks filed away the knowledge that it was coming and forgot about it.

Recently I found out that the expansion was not going to be published, but that the files were available from Reiner Knizia's website.

I downloaded them.

Print and play is not something I engage in often, but this is one case I was willing to make an exception.

I had the tiles and wall parts printed at my local Staples business centre (I don't own a colour printer).

I wanted actual Carcassonne tiles to put the printed ones onto, so ordered blank ones from Carcassonne & Co. in Germany - the price including shipping was very reasonable.

I ordered and was charged for 18 blank tiles, but they just sent me two sheets of 12. Just saying.

I used my paper cutter to trim the tiles. My paper cutter has a corner clipper (presumably to help laminate stuff), so I went ahead and trimmed them to help them fit better on the blank tiles.

I used Mod Podge (get the genuine article folks) as the adhesive to glue on the pieces, and then used a top coat to seal the tops.

The trimming of the tiles was not perfect, which I attribute entirely to my lack of patience (and this being my first such project), but the whitespace won't detract from the play nor usability.

Drying

The next tricky part will be getting the wall pieces cut cleanly - or at least cleanly enough to let them fit nicely with the game's originals. I recently received a Kickstarter game in the mail and the box for one of the parts had cardboard that was just right.

Tomorrow my wife said she'd use her circle cutter to cut out the round egg markers and I'll be trimming off the wall/gate pieces and we'll give it a go!

The only other thing I need to is to dig through my box of miscellaneous game bits to find a pair of tokens to stand in for the King and Falconer meeples mentioned in the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Whaley
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
Darius I – 73rd Great Khan of the Illustrius Barbarian Horde, Duque San Lorenzo, Marquis de Feltón, Chief of the Zayante, Baron von Whaleyland, Lord Kennedy
badge
Arrgh!
mbmbmbmbmb
The recommended Falconer piece is the main meeple from Carcassonne: Hunters & Gatherers. The King, meanwhile, is the mayor from Carcassonne: Abbey & Mayor. You can buy a black and white mayor and a black Hunters & Gatherers meeple from the part replacement service at CundCo. I'd recommend buying a yellow H&G meeple from there, also, then bleaching it and repainting it white. Then you'll have "official" meeples for your expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Frost

Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmb
Just such a sad and frustrating "business" decision by the publisher not to publish this expansion. There is a ready audience waiting to buy it. But they just won't produce it. Odd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To be fair to the publisher, Carcassonne: The Castle was published in 2003, and the copyright on this expansion is 2013 (according to the published file) with a nominal publication date of 2015.

I'm sure there are "lots" of people who'd buy the expansion if it were offered, but how many people does that actually equate to relative to the cost of a print run and needing to price the expansion reasonably?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whaleyland wrote:
The recommended Falconer piece is the main meeple from Carcassonne: Hunters & Gatherers. The King, meanwhile, is the mayor from Carcassonne: Abbey & Mayor. You can buy a black and white mayor and a black Hunters & Gatherers meeple from the part replacement service at CundCo. I'd recommend buying a yellow H&G meeple from there, also, then bleaching it and repainting it white. Then you'll have "official" meeples for your expansion.

Interestingly, my Castle meeples are dark brown and natural wood coloured. I might see what I have available in my spare parts first...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Whaley
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
Darius I – 73rd Great Khan of the Illustrius Barbarian Horde, Duque San Lorenzo, Marquis de Feltón, Chief of the Zayante, Baron von Whaleyland, Lord Kennedy
badge
Arrgh!
mbmbmbmbmb
leroy43 wrote:
Interestingly, my Castle meeples are dark brown and natural wood coloured. I might see what I have available in my spare parts first...
That is strange. They are supposed to be black and white (at least mine are). Well you may be able to get "natural" colors of all four of them and paint the two brown. You can also buy brown mayors at CundCo. They should be the same color as those in your game.

leroy43 wrote:
To be fair to the publisher, Carcassonne: The Castle was published in 2003, and the copyright on this expansion is 2013 (according to the published file) with a nominal publication date of 2015.
From what I understand, this expansion was developed between Reiner Knizia and Jay at Rio Grande Games. When Rio Grande lost the license to Z-Man in 2014, the expansion project basically died. I still hold out hope that when Hans im Glück re-releases The Castle (they haven't in years), they will include this inside as a special bonus. It's unlikely, but it would be cool. I'm still mad that the re-release of Hunters & Gatherers doesn't include The Scout expansion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The wall part pieces are serviceable.

The egg tiles... will need a redo. Or I'll just use cubes for them.

And in the interim, these are my king and falconer bits.

And thanks for the reminder about the King & Scout expansion - I have it somewhere in the house and should add the tiles to my H&G game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh boy, you're a perfectionist! Wow! Impressive! meeple thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.