Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
36 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Star Wars: Rebellion» Forums » General

Subject: Will this game get expansions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
D SK
United States
New York
NEW YORK
flag msg tools
With Rogue One out there is so many new potential to add to the game.

New leaders at a minimum. Is another expansion planned for the game?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonia
Germany
Wolfsburg
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure what the purpose of this thread is.
Here are some statements you might be interested in.

1. FFG did not spoiler an expansion in any way. So will it get an expansion for sure? No.

2. If you want to see what other people wish as an expansion and think about the topic: please search the forums. This topic has been discussed A LOT.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
AndrewRyan wrote:
With Rogue One out there is so many new potential to add to the game.

New leaders at a minimum. Is another expansion planned for the game?


I hope not. Why mess with perfection. Rogue One is a Homeric tragedy. Death Star plans are delivered. Everyone dies. Now change that to where the plans were never delivered. Death Star completed. Design flaw rectified. End of story. Rebellious worlds brought in line or destroyed. Luke stays on the farm.

If someone designs a Rogue One game, great. You either succeed or not, maybe with a few more survivors, maybe not. No need to drag that into Rebellion as an expansion. If you win at Rogue One as the Rebels, move on and play Rebellion. If not... well, there's always My Little Pony.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Walt Mulder wrote:
AndrewRyan wrote:
With Rogue One out there is so many new potential to add to the game.

New leaders at a minimum. Is another expansion planned for the game?


I hope not. Why mess with perfection. Rogue One is a Homeric tragedy. Death Star plans are delivered. Everyone dies. Now change that to where the plans were never delivered. Death Star completed. Design flaw rectified. End of story. Rebellious worlds brought in line or destroyed. Luke stays on the farm.

If someone designs a Rogue One game, great. You either succeed or not, maybe with a few more survivors, maybe not. No need to drag that into Rebellion as an expansion. If you win at Rogue One as the Rebels, move on and play Rebellion. If not... well, there's always My Little Pony.


Spoiler tags Walt! There are still three or four people who haven't seen it!
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sensei Me
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My opinion, its FFG, so there is a decent chance it gets an expansion. And yes, there are many threads on this topic, but no harm in having one more.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Wilson
msg tools
Muad Dib wrote:
Not sure what the purpose of this thread is.
Here are some statements you might be interested in.

1. FFG did not spoiler an expansion in any way. So will it get an expansion for sure? No.

2. If you want to see what other people wish as an expansion and think about the topic: please search the forums. This topic has been discussed A LOT.


The snark is strong with this one!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonia
Germany
Wolfsburg
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jwpilly wrote:
Muad Dib wrote:
Not sure what the purpose of this thread is.
Here are some statements you might be interested in.

1. FFG did not spoiler an expansion in any way. So will it get an expansion for sure? No.

2. If you want to see what other people wish as an expansion and think about the topic: please search the forums. This topic has been discussed A LOT.


The snark is strong with this one!

Sorry, was a little bit in a hurry writing this.

Problem with this question for me is:
When you did not find anything about an expansion when googling it, asking here will probably not get you a different answer.

Noboby working at FFG will suddenly stand up, break their nondisclosure agreement and tell you all about it
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Muad Dib wrote:
jwpilly wrote:
Muad Dib wrote:
Not sure what the purpose of this thread is.
Here are some statements you might be interested in.

1. FFG did not spoiler an expansion in any way. So will it get an expansion for sure? No.

2. If you want to see what other people wish as an expansion and think about the topic: please search the forums. This topic has been discussed A LOT.


The snark is strong with this one!

Sorry, was a little bit in a hurry writing this.

Problem with this question for me is:
When you did not find anything about an expansion when googling it, asking here will probably not get you a different answer.

Noboby working at FFG will suddenly stand up, break their nondisclosure agreement and tell you all about it


I think the OP is asking for speculation, not a definitive answer. No harm in speculating, that's what these forums are for. My opinion, is that due to the popularity of this game, it will receive an expansion. FFG is in business to make money, and an expansion to Rebellion would sell like hot cakes. Also, ask yourself this: when was the last time FFG made a wildly popular game that did NOT receive an expansion?
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andy scott
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Will an expansion make money? yes

so I'm pretty sure FFG will make an expansion (barring legal disputes with hasbro...)
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It's also important to note the box size of Rebellion. That box is absolutely HUGE in comparison to how large it needed to be. That game could've fit into a standard Eldritch Horror sized box, or at the very least, a Descent/Doom sized box. That leads me to believe they had expansions in mind when they designed the game, and decided on the cavernous box to allow room for storage.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witold G
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
Avatar
bassoon201 wrote:
(barring legal disputes with hasbro...)


That's a very good point, actually. Maybe the original deal with Hasbro was only for a single board game without expansions. After a (presumably) big financial success of Rebellion, maybe Hasbro wants a bigger piece of the cake when negotiating a deal for expansions? Pure speculation, of course.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Paltrineri
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems strange to me that we have not heard anything about an expansion yet. The game has been out for a year or so now, so you would think something would have been announced by now, if not actually released.

It reminds me of Forbidden Stars. Here is what seemed to be a popular game with plenty of options for an expansion, but nothing ever came. Then, all of a sudden, FFG and GW end their deal. So I wonder if FFG has a similar issue with Hasbro or whoever. I hope not, because I agree with some here that Rebellion doesn't need an expansion, I wouldn't mind one.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
What is the deal with Hasbro? I thought FFG had the rights to make board games in the Star Wars universe. Or does that only apply to card and dice games?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felipe Bulhões
Brazil
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
It's better that they take their time and provide a balanced expansion that really add to the game, or improve its weaker parts, than a rushed and faulty one. I am glad they're taking their time.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Glorious Strategist wrote:
What is the deal with Hasbro? I thought FFG had the rights to make board games in the Star Wars universe. Or does that only apply to card and dice games?

The way I understand it, Hasbro has the rights for making/distributing Star Wars Board Games. FFG has rights to pretty much every other type of non-digital game (card games, minis games, dice games, RPGs).

Imperial Assault is an interesting case. I'm not sure if it was put forth as a minis game originally, but I think it may have been deemed a board game, because I think Hasbro is involved with distribution on that (for instance, you can't buy Imperial Assault directly from FFG).

Rebellion is in the same category - you can't buy it directly from FFG. I don't know the details, but it does have to do with Hasbro and distribution rights. I'm guessing FFG worked out a deal with Hasbro to make the games happen in the first place, but with apparently the concession that FFG can't distribute it themselves.

(I may not have all the details correct, but I think that's the general gist of it)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
All Hail Lelouch
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Coiote wrote:
It's better that they take their time and provide a balanced expansion that really add to the game, or improve its weaker parts, than a rushed and faulty one. I am glad they're taking their time.


Indeed. Even after a year there's only a couple places we've only found a couple slight imbalances (Ion cannons UP, assault carriers OP, Star the Evacuation UP, Interrogation UP, Construct SDS UP etc.) I wouldn't mind an expansion that fixes these a bit. Other people have already provided possible solutions that seem good. Or maybe just an expansion that add new missions. That would be my solution to Assault Carriers anyway.

Though none of these imbalances are significant or serious enough to effect overall balance. And only Ion Cannons, interrogation and 2nd Death Star are bad enough to effect those units being popular enough to see play.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
David Umstattd wrote:
Coiote wrote:
It's better that they take their time and provide a balanced expansion that really add to the game, or improve its weaker parts, than a rushed and faulty one. I am glad they're taking their time.


Indeed. Even after a year there's only a couple places we've only found a couple slight imbalances (Ion cannons UP, assault carriers OP, Star the Evacuation UP, Interrogation UP, Construct SDS UP etc.) I wouldn't mind an expansion that fixes these a bit. Other people have already provided possible solutions that seem good. Or maybe just an expansion that add new missions. That would be my solution to Assault Carriers anyway.

Though none of these imbalances are significant or serious enough to effect overall balance. And only Ion Cannons, interrogation and 2nd Death Star are bad enough to effect those units being popular enough to see play.



1 ion cannon sees play often, fro, the base defenses card.

can you elaborate on your beef with the assault carriers? (i think you and I have been part of the discussion about all the other issues)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Paella
United States
East Aurora
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone know if FFG released anything about Rebellion at their Gama Trade show seminar yesterday? They would have definitely mentioned an expansion if it's even semi-close to release.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
All Hail Lelouch
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
jooice wrote:
David Umstattd wrote:
Coiote wrote:
It's better that they take their time and provide a balanced expansion that really add to the game, or improve its weaker parts, than a rushed and faulty one. I am glad they're taking their time.


Indeed. Even after a year there's only a couple places we've only found a couple slight imbalances (Ion cannons UP, assault carriers OP, Star the Evacuation UP, Interrogation UP, Construct SDS UP etc.) I wouldn't mind an expansion that fixes these a bit. Other people have already provided possible solutions that seem good. Or maybe just an expansion that add new missions. That would be my solution to Assault Carriers anyway.

Though none of these imbalances are significant or serious enough to effect overall balance. And only Ion Cannons, interrogation and 2nd Death Star are bad enough to effect those units being popular enough to see play.



1 ion cannon sees play often, fro, the base defenses card.

can you elaborate on your beef with the assault carriers? (i think you and I have been part of the discussion about all the other issues)


It's not a huge beef. But AC's have good stats (attack, hp, carry capacity) for how long they take to build, how many systems build them while subjagated, and most importantly, their immunity to Rebel assault. Nothing game breaking, but I felt adding a single card that allowed for slightly punishing empire players who spammed AC's (which is an effective empirial tactic with little counterplay) would benefit the game. I did a post here: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1705147/steal-supply-convoy...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
David Umstattd wrote:
jooice wrote:
David Umstattd wrote:
Coiote wrote:
It's better that they take their time and provide a balanced expansion that really add to the game, or improve its weaker parts, than a rushed and faulty one. I am glad they're taking their time.


Indeed. Even after a year there's only a couple places we've only found a couple slight imbalances (Ion cannons UP, assault carriers OP, Star the Evacuation UP, Interrogation UP, Construct SDS UP etc.) I wouldn't mind an expansion that fixes these a bit. Other people have already provided possible solutions that seem good. Or maybe just an expansion that add new missions. That would be my solution to Assault Carriers anyway.

Though none of these imbalances are significant or serious enough to effect overall balance. And only Ion Cannons, interrogation and 2nd Death Star are bad enough to effect those units being popular enough to see play.



1 ion cannon sees play often, fro, the base defenses card.

can you elaborate on your beef with the assault carriers? (i think you and I have been part of the discussion about all the other issues)


It's not a huge beef. But AC's have good stats (attack, hp, carry capacity) for how long they take to build, how many systems build them while subjagated, and most importantly, their immunity to Rebel assault. Nothing game breaking, but I felt adding a single card that allowed for slightly punishing empire players who spammed AC's (which is an effective empirial tactic with little counterplay) would benefit the game. I did a post here: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1705147/steal-supply-convoy...


Have you been playing with such an ability?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke O'Hearn
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Walt Mulder wrote:

I hope not. Why mess with perfection.

I agree. The base game is pretty close to perfect. Any new character is one less chance of recruiting Han Solo or Boba Fete. Any new mission is one less chance to draw Seek Yoda. Any brand new mechanic dilutes the core game.

I'd much rather see FFG make a second Star Wars board game than add more to this. I have Rebellion and Queen's Gambit. Maybe a strategy level Clone Wars era game? Or a Circus Maximus style pod-race game? A Queen's Gambit style Rogue-1 game would be fun too.

And I'm speaking as an absolute glutton for expansions! I'll buy any expansion they make for Rebellion (even if I only play them on occasion for novelty/variety). But if they are going to put time and money into another Star Wars board game product, I'd prefer a fresh new game!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
All Hail Lelouch
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
crimhead wrote:
Walt Mulder wrote:

I hope not. Why mess with perfection.

I agree. The base game is pretty close to perfect. Any new character is one less chance of recruiting Han Solo or Boba Fete. Any new mission is one less chance to draw Seek Yoda. Any brand new mechanic dilutes the core game.


These all sound like good changes. Making seek Yoda less likely makes Son of Skywalker more powerful which is good. Making Boba and Han less likely to be drawn would be good as it feels like Bobba is always recruited and generally adds more leader variety.


Just because the game is good doesn't mean it can't be better. I think the mission deck, action card deck and tactics decks are a bit too small and have room for expansions.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
All Hail Lelouch
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
jooice wrote:
David Umstattd wrote:
jooice wrote:
David Umstattd wrote:
Coiote wrote:
It's better that they take their time and provide a balanced expansion that really add to the game, or improve its weaker parts, than a rushed and faulty one. I am glad they're taking their time.


Indeed. Even after a year there's only a couple places we've only found a couple slight imbalances (Ion cannons UP, assault carriers OP, Star the Evacuation UP, Interrogation UP, Construct SDS UP etc.) I wouldn't mind an expansion that fixes these a bit. Other people have already provided possible solutions that seem good. Or maybe just an expansion that add new missions. That would be my solution to Assault Carriers anyway.

Though none of these imbalances are significant or serious enough to effect overall balance. And only Ion Cannons, interrogation and 2nd Death Star are bad enough to effect those units being popular enough to see play.



1 ion cannon sees play often, fro, the base defenses card.

can you elaborate on your beef with the assault carriers? (i think you and I have been part of the discussion about all the other issues)


It's not a huge beef. But AC's have good stats (attack, hp, carry capacity) for how long they take to build, how many systems build them while subjagated, and most importantly, their immunity to Rebel assault. Nothing game breaking, but I felt adding a single card that allowed for slightly punishing empire players who spammed AC's (which is an effective empirial tactic with little counterplay) would benefit the game. I did a post here: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1705147/steal-supply-convoy...


Have you been playing with such an ability?


Like I said in the post I wouldn't want to add the "Steal Supply Convoy" card into the mission deck without adding a few other missions as well so as to retain skill balance in the deck.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Thematic Colors of Gaming Blog
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I disagree with many. I find it an incomplete game that desperately needs an expansion. Pretty much like every FFG release.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
All Hail Lelouch
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
SeerMagic wrote:
I disagree with many. I find it an incomplete game that desperately needs an expansion. Pretty much like every FFG release.


I'm intrigued by your opinion. Care to elaborate? Are your complaints mechanical or lore based?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.