Subject: Games for groups of 12-15 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Diana DeeDee
Romania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I've started organizing a gaming night which is turning into a success, and now more people are showing up. Last time we were about 14 people.
Though we can (and do) split in two groups so that we can play at separate tables, the guests also wish that we play something together, all of us.

Last time, we tried Two Rooms and One Boom, but it turned awkward because the rules are very vague, and nobody wanted to say anything that could have outed them. So we were all standing there, saying stuff like: "I can be any color and any role... what about you?" Even adding the Liar and Honorable roles didn't help much. We might have missed something in the rules on how the conversations should go, but nevertheless, it didn't work with our group.

So, what other possible games could we play? I've tried searching the database here, but there's no option to search by player numbers >10 or to sort games by number of players. I am looking for a game that is not very "word-y" (like Taboo) as we are not English-speakers - though we do speak English.

We played Concept one time, and it worked out ok; Charades we've had enough of...

I heard Camel Up might work in larger groups, but we've played it in 7 and it seemed plenty, because it takes a lot of time and the board changes a lot until you get your turn.

Thank you in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jade Knight
United States
Upper Valley
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The key to Two Rooms and Boom is coming up with a plan of action. If you never share anything, how can you win? You have to take a risk. Figure out who the leader of your side is. Generally this works by doing a lot of color-sharing, but sharing roles only with your own side. So you'll know who's on your team, but you won't know who the leader/bomb are. That becomes the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty
msg tools
deevinnula wrote:
Last time, we tried Two Rooms and a Boom, but it turned awkward

Shoot, that's what I was going to suggest, although it didn't work real well here either with a group that size.

I haven't played it, but maybe try Office Gossip? I think the "standard" large-group game is Werewolf, but I would think the player elimination would be a problem.

This is not what you're asking for, but unless you've got a game which is really good at 12-15, I would always rather split into 3-4 smaller tables and play something which is actually fun. How many of the guests are clamoring for one big game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Ham
United States
The Colony
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
HONK HONK
mbmbmbmbmb
There's the old classic Haggle. It's designed to be played over the course of a night alongside other things. Only thing is, you will have to prepare some cards for it, and moderate/do scoring, so you won't actually be playing. There's a few rulesets in the files section, and if you're interested, I can send you a ruleset I made to host a group of 15.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can search by player count:

https://boardgamegeek.com/advsearch/boardgame

Put in 10 and 10 in the Normal range and it will give all games that support 10 players. Then you can modify the url to change the 10 to 11 to give all games that support 11 players:

https://boardgamegeek.com/search/boardgame?sort=rank&advsear...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
klopu lamar
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Take a look at Deception: Murder in Hong Kong a murder-solving, deduction game
Mascarade a bluffing game that i really enjoy
Time's Up! or Monikers they are much alike
and a classic one Pictionary
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two Rooms and a Boom: add the doctor and the engineer (?), they force communication as each must locate respectively the President and the Bomber in order for their teams to win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Would you consider Bring Your Own Book?
Something to play as an icebreaker type thing.

Yes, you would all need a book, but I find this a better choice than Cards Against Humanity. On a similar vein, consider Million Dollars But. I would choose the latter before CAH.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dale
Australia
Moggill
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
badge
When will the die stop rolling? What face finishes showing?
mbmbmbmbmb
PitchCar or PitchCar Mini scale to that number okay.

- Pauli

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diana DeeDee
Romania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
How many of the guests are clamoring for one big game?

Most of them. They want to do that at least for a part of the night. Splitting is ok, too, for a while, but they also want to hang out together, that's why I thought 2R1B would work because it doesn't take all night.

Yes, we definitely should have done the color-share, but it's my fault for not finding and explaining that part of the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diana DeeDee
Romania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
howdyhamster wrote:
There's the old classic Haggle. It's designed to be played over the course of a night alongside other things. Only thing is, you will have to prepare some cards for it, and moderate/do scoring, so you won't actually be playing. There's a few rulesets in the files section, and if you're interested, I can send you a ruleset I made to host a group of 15.

Yes, please! I don't mind not playing, and I was actually thinking that having a meta-game like Pretense would be good enough to satisfy their wish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Greig
Australia
Kelso
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eat Poop You Cat is great fun for 10-20 players, just be sure to put a time limit on turns so that you make it round the circle quickly

(I accept it's more of an activity than a game but you'll have a blast and it can be done in any language)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diana DeeDee
Romania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
mmpoole wrote:
You can search by player count:

https://boardgamegeek.com/advsearch/boardgame

Put in 10 and 10 in the Normal range and it will give all games that support 10 players. Then you can modify the url to change the 10 to 11 to give all games that support 11 players:

Thank you, that works!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.