Jonathan Townsend
Italy
Roma
Lazio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How do people play this?
As given Ruffin can send in his formations to circle round the defenders flank right or left or both and thus completely bypass all the KGL units. Then he can storm location ST without having to go up a slope on turns 6 or 7.
Consequently he could take the top of the hill even though the KGL units still remained between this and the French lines.
This would remove the Army of Portugal from its defensive position prior to scenario four.

However, there are other Divisions in place upon the flanks that would have to be moved through, they just don't appear in this scenario set-up, though they do in the next scenario, Morning Attack.

Do we think this kind of maneuver was intended as an option?
I think the intention was one just had to go straight up the hill, through at least one KGL unit, else we have a big game changer, however as written there is nothing to stop the free movement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magister Ludi
Australia
Fremantle
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Roll low!
badge
You are a paradox to me, a contradiction You're a predicament for me, and a prediction
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting, setting this up to play now. Probably needs a rule that they need to head towards objective by most direct route rather than.twisting the night away

I've been to this battlefield and given it was dark, and the stream is at the foot of the hill, I don't think the attackers would have taken.anuyjing other than a.direct route

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Townsend
Italy
Roma
Lazio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, I played out both options and each had the opposite extreme result.
Let me know if Ruffin + you can get them up there by the necessary direct route.

On playing out the next day I opted for a French main attack on their left and diversions on the right until the British were forced to move off the ridge to cover their line of retreat. The Spaniards can put up a surprisingly non-awful fighting retreat.

Let me know how it goes for you, I would be very interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magister Ludi
Australia
Fremantle
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Roll low!
badge
You are a paradox to me, a contradiction You're a predicament for me, and a prediction
mbmbmbmbmb
Gave this a whirl tonight, but only got thru about 5 game turns. The French stayed in Regimental columns and hit two KGL battalions which were up slope. One KGL battalion was routed ( as per historical)and the other one disorded, but both French columns failed to advance after assault.

Given that no British unit can move until enemy is adjacent, it seems likely the French could have continued on and hit the second British defence line.

After trying to sort out the correct rules by juggling between 3rd, 4th and 5th Edn rules I have packed it up for now ...will return after a thorough read of the rules!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magister Ludi
Australia
Fremantle
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Roll low!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just found this thread which has links to updated exclusive rules. The night attack scenario has revised mechanics and would appear to make more sense.

Also links to Marie Louise rules which are simpler.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/717336/la-bataille-de-espag...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.