Hide
5 Posts

Tanto Cuore» Forums » General

Subject: Really enjoying this game so far! :) (Playing App version) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
MaryJane Henderson
msg tools
I've been learning how to play the game, and I also bought the app game as well, and I am finding that, despite the troublesome parts of its theme, this game is really fun, engaging, and somewhat fast-paced.

There were a few moments where I got a little confused on a few symbols (the card symbols especially) and some card effects, but re-reading the rule book and practicing with the app helped with that situation.

I can't wait to try out the physical game with my gaming group, and to try out the physical copies of the expansions as well.

(And I can't wait to hear about male butlers in the next TC in the future! )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Woodward
United States
Bowling Green
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I've learned, maid culture in Japan is very different. Apparently there aren't (overt at least) sexual overtones. It does make the theme difficult to handle here in America though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MaryJane Henderson
msg tools
twood1972 wrote:
From what I've learned, maid culture in Japan is very different. Apparently there aren't (overt at least) sexual overtones. It does make the theme difficult to handle here in America though.

If the maid thing is not meant to be sexy, then why are some of the maids half-naked and having panty shots or low camera views (to see butt or boobs)? It's not just the maid aspect--it's how the overall theme is approached, starting with the stupid (and I do feel they are stupid and not at all innocent) Love cards.

The theme is an obstacle for sure, especially some parts of the theme, whether it's the Love cards, provocative camera views, panty shots, skimpy outfits, keeping maids in the "Private Chambers", and the shady/suspicious all-female-only staff (why no butlers or footmen exist?!) don't help either.

It's one of the reasons why I am looking at other deck building games with a less offensive (or less provocative) as an alternative for when I am playing with or around most people who are not into fanservice-y skimpy anime girl-BS.

It's really too bad. If it was themed like the CCG Vanguard with mixed-gender clothed characters, then I could 100% embrace and promote the game without embarrassment.

Last night, I had a few male passerbys ask me what game I was playing, and they raised eyebrows at the ecchi stuff, but when I explained the basic gameplay, they said it sounded "cool" and now they're interested in playing the app version of the game to try it out themselves.

I was pretty blunt and straightforward about the unfortunate theme and blantant fanservice (Male Gaze in a few cards are pretty obvious), but I try to sell the gameplay as best I could by focusing on the straightforward card gameplay aspects.

I think this game can appeal to a more wider (American or western, anyway) audience if it had a different theme and aesthetics, like a captain hiring a pirate crew, or a general hiring an army, etc, with no Love cards, no obvious camera fanservice view, and a retheming of the private chambers. (Maybe something like Star Realms kind of theme?).

I would love a re-skinning of the artwork. If it must be anime characters, why couldn't it be something like the fantasy humanoid characters from Vanguard CCG or Force of Will CCG? Or, if it must be domestic hiring, then why weren't male characters (butlers) included?

To me, as a female and as a feminist, it just doesn't feel like a very inclusive theme.

At the moment, the theme with provocative Male Gaze artwork definitely feels like it's aimed at (straight) male otakus only.

Such a shame. I really do love the gameplay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MaryJane Henderson
msg tools
Recently, on board game night, I had one of the Tanto Cuore expansions (Oktoberfest one or Expanding the House), and planned to play with my usual group, but it was too crowded, and we got split up, so I played with a new group of people.

Unfortunately, I didn't feel comfortable bringing Tanto Cuore to the table with this group, as this group was made up of old people who were more into Splendor, Ingenious, and stuff like that. It would have felt embarrassing to play with strangers, especially with older male conservative strangers.

I really want more of the deck-building gameplay to hit the table, so maybe next time, I will bring along my copy of Dominion (Second Edition) Big Box or Aeon's End, instead of my Tanto Cuore games, just in case.

My group is playing Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game next board game night, which I'm excited about.

I'm looking at Japanimegame's next translated game, Heart of Crown, which sounds like a much more tasteful anime Dominion game that I wouldn't be embarrassed or be offended by.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Espinosa
Chile
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think the theme is suppose to be like the "maid cafe" fantasy.I don't know exactly what to think of it, but i think the over-the-top aspect of it is kind of funny because of how ridiculous it is, how many games do you know that use "love" as a currency? XD
In fact I am willing to buy this game for that reason.
I do think that some of the cards artwork are kind of "to much", I don't really like the fan service, like i usually hate anime series that are all about that, but watching at the pictures it seems that most of the cards doesn't have any explicit content.
It is weird to me that besides "Heart of Crown" all of the Japanese deck-building games i know have this kind of theme/artwork. Actually i think that Tanto Cuore is one of the "less offensive".

So, yeah, screw the fan service and the provocative camera view, panty shots and all that stuff. But let it to be ridiculous and over-the-top, also i think the all-female-only staff make sense, instead of including butlers in a future expansion (if they made any), there should be an entire reverse gender base game(and a i know of many girls would buy it)"Tanto Cuore Butlers edition".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.