Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan F
United States
Corpus Christi
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whenever I play on Vassal or F2F, it seems like the Brits have an uphill slog especially if they don't get as many high ops cards as americans or don't get campaign cards.

1. They only get +1 DRM from having regulars which isn't much when total DRM's going into combat roll are usually around 10 or so anwyays. 2nd, every fight that is close makes me nervous to lose because every lost battle is a 1/6th chance to lose my regular advantage for the game with 3 casualties plus it moves France 2 steps closer to war. Winning rarely confers much of a benefit to me except for getting key points as the americans can lose all the units with a general and just pop some more reinforcements with their lonely general the next turn as long as they save one reinforcement slot for such an occasion. Even if they don't, capturing anyone but Washington doesn't matter that much as they will just get them back at beginning of next year anyways.

TLDR; the game has 1/6 odds to go very wrong for the brits whenever they lose and their gains are minimal as american troops just delay you with small 1-2 CU armies with general and their troops fall away by half in the winter anyways other than Washington's army so they are very expendable where yours are precious and limited.

2. Since killing american armies doesn't push back french alliance track and all losses bring them closer, it is best to avoid battle unless you are going for highly prized locations like the CC, crossroads towns, etc. But unfornately Greene and Washington are often defending those and can attempt things like intercepts so that even if you win the ensuing battle you are stuck one space from where you wanted to be and need to spend another card to get there if you have that card and often that place is one that suffers attrition so double whammy.

TLDR-is it best to simply only fight with overwhelming strength to minimize chance at prematurely losing regulars and the +2 french track bump and post up on all key ports, crossroads towns to try to hold those down while fighting the PC placement war?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rubin
United States
Trenton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
"It may be doubted whether so small a number of men ever employed so short a space of time with greater or more lasting effects upon the history of the world.” — Sir George Otto Trevelyan on the Battles of Trenton and Princeton
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a political war. Always think: how can I spend my OPS in such a way as my opponent needs to spend more OPS just to counter? Advice applies to both sides.

Battle is not something the British should avoid. If the Americans are permitted to get all or almost all their leaders on the board, it will be nearly impossible to prevent the Revolution expanding politically.

The 1/6 chance of losing Regulars advantage if you lose (probably less than 1/20 when you're on the attack and exercising only a little prudence) is a risk you must accept. Worry instead about the potential of a Campaign card leaving you no retreat and in danger of losing an army.

Finally, recognize that Burgoyne and especially Cornwallis will be called upon to carry the burden of most British action. Position them where you plan to conquer colonies, and don't forget the OPS Queue!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Martin
United States
GENEVA
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with everything Mr. Rubin chimed in, above. Here's a few cents' worth from my own experience:

1.) To the extent possible, always keep 5 CUs with your generals. This can be intimidating to the American player, and make him or her think twice about attacking you.

2.) +1 DRM for British Regulars may not be definitive, but it certainly helps. Moreover, when used in conjunction with Royal Navy support and militia, it can stack up to +2 or +3. I've had a lot of battles decided by one or two points.

3.) Make sure every attack accomplishes a purpose. Dispersing the Continental Congress early in a turn is a huge win for the British. Go for it if you can.

4.) Play your OPS for PC control early and often. The Americans have the advantage of being able to play their PCs on any open space—you don't. Create zones of control that trace back to your ports. I often like to 'squeeze' New England by pushing PCs in the north, down from Canada, and up from New York. Remember, the British check for isolation against the Americans first.

One of the things I love about this game is how different the two sides are to play. Each has their own distinct advantages and challenges. I think a lot of players have a preference for one side over another, but both sides are equally capable of winning.

Keep trying, and see if you can't make it work. Trust me, though—in the hands of a skilled player, the British can be absolutely punishing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex N
United States
Metuchen
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll add one more bit of valuable advice -

Don't try to dominate all 3 theaters of operations (south, middle, north). You don't have the generals or the troops to spread yourself that thin. Even the British back in 1776-1781 knew this. They first established their beachhead in Boston and when chased away by Washington their entire fleet moved to NYC. Their loss at Saratoga further diminished and eliminated their ability to reconquer the North. Only after the Battle of Monmouth in NJ, did the British significantly switched their strategy to the South while maintaining their hold on Canada. Had Cornwallis not met formidable resistance in Virginia in 1781 the war could have easily swung into a series of new battles in the Mid-Atlantic states.

Focus on one area initially and then by Turn 2, decide where to plant your next general. Then move cautiously forward, never allowing the Patriots pop back up again behind your front line. If they remove one of your PC marker behind your line then make sure you immediately put back your own PC marker. Failure to do that would only increase the danger of losing troops to isolation and never reaching your win condition. By Turn 3, make sure all 5 generals have 5 CUs and start claiming new winter quarters every turn in the upper half of the board or more cities in the south. Keep your forward lines tight with your strategy "2" generals with your "3" generals not too far behind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.