Kevin B. Smith
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a real scenario in a later box where this *really* matters[1], and there are scenarios where it could be relevant[2]. But let's take a hypothetical case that could happen in (almost) any scenario:

Imagine that a character defeats the villain, and all other locations are closed (temporarily or permanently). However, the blessings deck is not empty, and another player still wants to take a turn. Perhaps they have a boon in hand that would allow them to draw another boon from the box.

Is the game automatically over as soon as the victory condition is met? Or can the players choose to keep playing, and then declare victory when they want to?

From a very strict reading of the rules, I'm guessing the answer is that the game ends immediately, whether you want it to or not. However, the rules are not really explicit about that (even though they are very explicit about losing immediately):
Quote:
If the players defeat the villain and prevent it from escaping, or they achieve a different condition for winning listed on the scenario card, your group defeats the scenario and earns the reward listed on the scenario card.

[1]
Spoiler (click to reveal)
The scenario in question is 2.4, where you have to gain a boon in a particular way in order to gain access to a trader.

[2]
There might be a location that is closed but has boons remaining in it, ready to be claimed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a great edge case to bring to Paizo/Lone Shark's attention. Perhaps they'll FAQ the specific edge case you mention in your spoiler.

eg - You automatically get the traders if you complete the scenario successfully.

I think your strict reading is correct and the scenario is over once the win conditions are met. In those cases where you want to keep playing, you have to intentionally muff the combat check with the villain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ahearne
United States
Ayer
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't the time at the moment to research this on the Paizo site (and honestly, I am not recalling the question being asked, but I could be wrong about that).

My gut instinct is as soon as you achieve the victory conditions, the game ends. If there were boons you wanted to collect, or say a location you wanted to permanently close in order to gain the closing affect (for instance in Wrath, closing a particular location redeems a corrupted card), you have to do that BEFORE you achieve the victory conditions.

I think this is deliberate, and it is part of the "puzzle" that the scenario represents. (The lead designer, Mike Selinker, is a notorious puzzle aficionado, and creator.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauli Vinni
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You have to game the system if you want to do it. Find the villain and don't kill him before everything has been done that is needed to done. The problem is that the perfect killing hand for the Villain has gone and you run out of time. So it is always... Do I take a risk and try to get some loot or end the game as soon as I can.
But as it has been said above. When you need the game ending situation the game ends automatically in that moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.