Highlander Highlander
msg tools
Before I start, let me say up front that I really like this game. The theme and the artwork and the game are good fun. I like it. So no need to defend it from me, I'm not having a go at the game, I genuinely like it, but I'm curious about something. Here's the thing...I'm not exactly sure WHY I like it.

After a game, when I stop to think about it, I wonder....why do I like this game? Am I playing the game or is the game playing me? Is it just a conveyor belt game or are there big, tactical decisions to make?

So I'm curious for anyone's input or feelings on WHY this game works mechanically (or any other Legendary game with the same mechanics). As far as I can tell, there aren't really any big decisions to make, definitely no strategy and barely any tactical decisions to make either.

-You don't have much control over your deck (apart from a Dutch card that can kill cards, but that's about it).

-On your turn, giving a coordinate card to another player is a no-brainer. You draw a card to replace it anyway, so why not give one to someone.

-Being able to talk to the other players and share information freely you can talk about what you need, what you're going to play next etc, all open information....so there isn't really any tension on choosing what and when to give cards to others (coordinate)

-On your turn when you play your cards, you play them all, in any order you want (and if you can't use them they are discarded anyway) so there is no tactical choice in how many or in what order to play cards, you just toss them all out and talk through what you are doing...

-...WHAT/WHERE you play your cards on is the only real tactical choice I can see..."Hmmmm should I recruit this guy or this guy?"..."Hmmm, should I scan this space? Or kill this bad guy?"....but even these decisions are usually fairly limited by the couple of options available to you and even then are often fairly obvious.

Again, don't get me wrong. I like the game...but I'm not sure why I should. I do feel some tension as the cards come out, but that's due to the luck of the draw from the enemy deck. It's fun, but as far as player choices I'm not sure why I like the game. Mechanically it feels like you are kind of on a conveyor belt, or on rails, just going through the game as it comes up without having any real choices to make that will really make any big swings in the game.

SO..I'm really curious about where others think the tactical or hard decisions are in this game, if at all. Any thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yaban Jin wrote:
-You don't have much control over your deck (apart from a Dutch card that can kill cards, but that's about it).

You have draw/kill cards, you can choose what to add in your deck ... not all deck-building games make you thin your deck easily.

Quote:
-On your turn, giving a coordinate card to another player is a no-brainer. You draw a card to replace it anyway, so why not give one to someone.

Because you may draw a worse card: it's player B turn, player A has 7 recruit points and know he will be able to buy a rare card on his next turn so why would he coordinate a commander ?

Quote:
-Being able to talk to the other players and share information freely you can talk about what you need, what you're going to play next etc, all open information....so there isn't really any tension on choosing what and when to give cards to others (coordinate)

Indeed but the impossibility to communicate would transform this game on a mess I think.

Quote:
-On your turn when you play your cards, you play them all, in any order you want (and if you can't use them they are discarded anyway) so there is no tactical choice in how many or in what order to play cards, you just toss them all out and talk through what you are doing...

It's wrong: you have to play them in the right order to activate the abilities.
For example card A needs a previous tech card, card B also, and card C needs the team icon so you can only fully use 2 cards ... which ones ?

Quote:
-...WHAT/WHERE you play your cards on is the only real tactical choice I can see..."Hmmmm should I recruit this guy or this guy?"..."Hmmm, should I scan this space? Or kill this bad guy?"....but even these decisions are usually fairly limited by the couple of options available to you and even then are often fairly obvious.

But that's the point of the game. And in each game you have to choose a placement/role/action card t buy/... between x possibilities.

For me the only problem with this game is that there are only 2 scenarios for solo-play ... but I have played them about 80 times so overall it's enough for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Highlander Highlander
msg tools
Cool. Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I agree, more co-op scenarios would be nice. I'd personally forego the predator competitive version in favour of a couple more co-op scenarios.

As far as I've seen the ability to shape your deck, thin your deck (the kill/draw cards are rare to get and rare to use) is pretty minor.

Apart from maybe the first round or two, you are never really going to get a card that's much worse than a commander (2recruit)...so I would never worry about drawing a worse card.

Like i said, you generally can just lay your cards out and talk through what you are doing with them. The rule book says add much about not worrying about the order you play them in. There's no real tactical decision on the order of playing your cards out c choosing what to play or what not to play.

Yep, I realise that the point of the game is choosing where to spend your attack oft recruit points, but it's generally a pretty limited choose and generally a pretty obvious choice. The only moments where you really make a "wrong" choice are when you scan something, and, by luck, flip it over and find it's something that hurts you in some way.

So, I dunno. Like I said, I like the game, but still don't see where there are an big, tactical decisions.

Have you really played the co-op 80 times!?? That's huge!

I don't know if I could play the co-op more than 5 or 6 more times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yaban Jin wrote:
Apart from maybe the first round or two, you are never really going to get a card that's much worse than a commander (2recruit)...so I would never worry about drawing a worse card.

Well the idea is not better/worse but useful in the situation/not-useful. If I want 7 recruits and I have 7/8 including the commander, I don't spend it because getting a very good attack card won't help me to recruit.

Quote:
There's no real tactical decision on the order of playing your cards out c choosing what to play or what not to play.

Which deck-building game as more tactical decision for you ?

Quote:
Yep, I realise that the point of the game is choosing where to spend your attack oft recruit points, but it's generally a pretty limited choose and generally a pretty obvious choice.

Indeed: 5 spaces for each but it's not which one recruit and/or attack. Hopefully it's scanning, exchanging 2 cards, preparing the next turn, tacking calculated risks and preparing the good conditions to accomplish the objective.

Quote:
Have you really played the co-op 80 times!?? That's huge!

I don't know if I could play the co-op more than 5 or 6 more times.

Solo 2/3-handed, yes. Plus quite a few to test a Predator solo-variant.
Do you win easily enough to win both scenarios in 6 plays ?

For me if you are tired of the game after so few plays it's probably because you don't enjoy the deck-building core that much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Highlander Highlander
msg tools
Thanks again for the reply.

Yeah I (we) have won both co-op games within 6 plays. First two wins were only just (one player got out but the other didn't) and then the most recent play, we both got out.

That's a good question about deckbuilders.

To be honest I haven't played many. I imagine that in competitive deckbuilders, the element of having more control over what gets added or gets cut from your deck, along with the reading of your rival players and reacting to their decisions (rather than to a randomly ordered deck as in Predator) makes for more tactical decisions.

As I am not experienced in deckbuilders, are there any co-op deckbilders (or competitive) that you feel have tactical decisions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Highlander Highlander
msg tools
Have you played Aeon's End?
It sounds like it may have similar mechanics to the Legendary series but with more tactical decisions and more control over your deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.