Hide
9 Posts

Orléans» Forums » General

Subject: Balance Problem rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
SUNG BO PARK
msg tools
I played this game once yesterday with my friends. (4player game)

But friends say there's a balance problem in this game. And it tends to depend on luck. For example OverPowered Tile,Random goods. All four agreed with this opinion.

But I like the game system. And so did my friends. I want to continue playing this game.

What should I do? Can not we solve the balance problem? Will it work if I buy an extension? (I have only the base game.) Or is there a House rule(Variants) to solve this problem?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The first expansion adds a co-op mode which may help with perceived imbalance issues. I've not noticed any such issues though (but I've not played the game a lot of times yet).

There's a suggested variant on the forums here about having only 3 buildings of each type available at once to choose from. They may help? There's also a suggested variant whereby you place all the goods on the map face down. I'd argue that that adds *more* imbalance due to the added randomness though...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Mayes
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the variant where players each get to choose a building to remove from the game. I think that helps when you see a player continue to use the same building/ strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aernout Casier
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
solaw123 wrote:
I played this game once yesterday with my friends. (4player game)

But friends say there's a balance problem in this game. And it tends to depend on luck. For example OverPowered Tile,Random goods. All four agreed with this opinion.

But I like the game system. And so did my friends. I want to continue playing this game.

What should I do?

Don't conclude there's a balance problem after only 1 play. Play it more often, try different strategies/tiles. And indeed, pick up that first expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
Be aware that, in a game where balance issues seem to arise after only one play, there is the danger of emerging group think. It is not uncommon that perceived balancing issues seem to manifest regularly, or seem to be present constantly, because players THINK they exist, and project them onto a game due to their mode of play regarding said (maybe even non-)issue...

I'd recommend playing another game, as open-minded as possible, and if you still think the problem exists, play a semi-scripted third game where one of you tries to exploit the strategy, and the others try to find ways to beat him. At least that is a way to outmaneuver emerging group-think.

On the other hand, the exclusion of buildings due to player choice beforehand (the variant mentioned above) is a very good way to shake things up a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max
Spain
Cantabria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We play with N buildings of each level face up and it takes away the sameness of strategies and most of the AP when picking a building tile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david landes
United States
oak hill
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have played a fair lot of times and different strategies seem to be effective. Do you remember what your winning score was?

For the bulk of games, they have been played/playtested enough that concluding they are unbalanced after a single play may be premature.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kilo Force
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
I play with Red
badge
I play with Red
mbmbmbmbmb
AernoutMJC wrote:
Don't conclude there's a balance problem after only 1 play. Play it more often, try different strategies/tiles. And indeed, pick up that first expansion.

The first expansion being Invasions, correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If only BGG had a filter for new threads about balance that detects how often the group has played it. This sounds like groupthink from every single angle.

The base game is pretty balanced. There was one powerful tile that was fixed in later print runs, but it's otherwise really finely tuned and I assure you that no matter what overpowered strategy you think might bring you victory, there are gamers here in this forums that would smoke your score by miles
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.