Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eike Meyer
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How do you deal with the permanent sanity loss card in the growing dread pile? And what do you do about it when a character hits low permanent sanity due to it? In our first game of brimstone it came up (alongside 5 other growing dread cards) and permanently reduced our Bandidos sanity to 6. Is this the time to retire him?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
for this particular growing dread card, its actually not meant to be permanent, it has been pointed out to be a mistake.
its noted somewhere in the forum.

but for your other question, there will indeed be times when its time to retire a character, whether due to too many mutations or a stat that was lowered as to be unworkable etc.
i feel its part of the storytelling that characters come and go, each telling their own story.
this game could really do with a campaign-generator, stringing the missions and stories together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Steer
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Angelsenior wrote:
for this particular growing dread card, its actually not meant to be permanent, it has been pointed out to be a mistake.
its noted somewhere in the forum.

This changes everything! Anyone know where that thread is?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Simcoe
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know Jason said from a post in the Forbidden Fortress kickstarter that no stat can go below 1 from a permanent change (including Health and Sanity).

I agree though, if it gets really low you may want to consider retiring the character (carted off to a lunatic asylum!). although I have played a few missions with my Indian Scout when she was down to Sanity 6 and she just scrapped through to get to the next level and get some Sanity back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eike Meyer
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be very keen to see the statement about it not being a permanent loss. Could not find it myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
here is one link, not specifically about the growing dread card but about permanent loss
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/16785998#16785998

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
There are some Travel Events and positive Location Events (like rolling a 12 in the Church) that provide Sanity. Those can be permanent gainst to offset some losses from the Growing Dread cards or the poor adventure outcomes.

Some characters just aren't fated to make it to level 8 I guess. If you want, you could house rule that no character permanently drops below the starting value printed on the character card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom Denick
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We always try to save enough grit to cancel one card before the Growing Dread triggers because of that card. You could retire your Bandido, but 6 will is easily manageable with just one whiskey per adventure (a nominal cost). I think if he goes below 4, you may consider retiring him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Simcoe
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Angelsenior wrote:
here is one link, not specifically about the growing dread card but about permanent loss
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/16785998#16785998

Don't think that would apply to the Growing Dead card, as the card does specifically state that the loss is permanent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lauri yli-viikari
msg tools
5 growing dreat card on first run! And you took first mission?! Sounds like swamp of jargon last mission?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.