Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg
United States
Alhambra
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi all,

I'm assembling my Knight Variant mini, but run into a problem that seems like bad mold design.

On the sword piece, the left hand ends in a kind of a dowel and a very clear curve at the wrist.

Yet, on the bust piece, the left arm goes straight into the sprue, destroying any detail that might have been there to receive the hand.

How did you guys clean it up and attach the left hand in the end?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
KDM
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at the torso it would be really hard to put the sprue in another place and actually have consistently great mold fill results. Anywhere in the middle of the arm would cost you detail on the arm where the sprue attaches, and now it is in a place where you will have a glue surface so no detail is needed. I would remove the sprue and sand/drill the end of the arm into shape to take he hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, you're supposed to cut off the rod ( a vent to allow resin to flow down the arm) and if you choose to, the peg on the hand is so you can drill a little more support for the two pieces in the arm's wrist.

Pretty common working with the material's limitations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italic Font
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to warn you, the arm is a little too long, so you may find you have to trim it to fit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.