Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » General

Subject: Item 123 - is it useful? Would you prefer Item 124? (split spoilers) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
Is it a moose that became a detective ? Or a detective who searches for moose?
mbmbmbmbmb
So I have enough money and available slot to buy one of these two.

Item 123 is "cool" especially within our current story, but seems pretty useless.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Ring of Skulls - Summon Skeleton: HP3 Move2 Attack2 Range-

I'm a brute with no "pets" of my own, so I like the idea of having one and thematically raising one of my fallen foes. However, the 3HP means this thing might never get to attack. It will show up, get hit and die. Unless I act late when I summon and act early the next round. I want to like it, but I'm not convinced I would like it.

My other choice (besides saving for Prosperity Leve 3) is Item 124

Doomed Compass - Force an enemy at Range5 to perform Move2 with you controlling the action

Our retired character was using this one and it came in handy for walking enemies into Traps, into Range or out of attack range. I'mm leaning towards this one but I always worry that the next batch of Prosperity items will be good and I'm pretty sure my gf liked this item so much if I don't buy it, her new character will soon.

Any comments?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicole Hatch
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
124 was very useful for me, but mostly to march an enemy into formation for area attacks. 123 was great for distracting enemies. Both were situationally very useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Kameron
msg tools
I just used Item 123. It took a total of 5 points of damage then died.

That is better than a healing potion, plus no risk of status effects landing on you. If it actually gets to deal any damage at all, that is a bonus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Son Moekel
msg tools
Planning to use 123 with my scoundrel, to make situational attacks more reliable. Didn't test it yet though.

Summons count as allies, thus I can leap in, summon a skeleton, and attack with the "if adjacent to any of your allies" bonus attacks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Knut K
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For Item 123
You can try to give the skeletons a turn by summoning them on a very late initiative. Then playing a fast card to get the turn before the monsters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SonMoekel wrote:
Planning to use 123 with my scoundrel, to make situational attacks more reliable. Didn't test it yet though.

Summons count as allies, thus I can leap in, summon a skeleton, and attack with the "if adjacent to any of your allies" bonus attacks.

This seems like its most useful function, but we just retired our Scoundrel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Pranno
United States
Chardon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zottelmonster wrote:
For Item 123
You can try to give the skeletons a turn by summoning them on a very late initiative. Then playing a fast card to get the turn before the monsters.

My Level 3 Mindthief has this card, and this is exactly how I use it. Set up an Augment with a late initiative, throw down the Summon, and go as early as possible in the next round, easily done by the Mindthief, to do a least a little more damage.

Since I don't often include put my POS Rat Swarm (way too slow) card much, I've only pulled this off twice, but having both the Rat Swarm and Skeletons in play in was interesting. Me and the Tinkerer sitting in the second tier with my two summoned bodyguards while I dealt out weak range attacks (stuns an immobilizes) and occasionally messing with enemy moves and attack, while the Brute attacks and the Tinkerer ranges and heals. Worked great against small groups. Won't use that strategy against a swarm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually have both on my level 7 Tinkerer, and have since maybe level 3-4. The obvious use of 124 for me is to throw down the 6 damage trap, and then walk a monster into it. It's hard to argue that the card isn't the more effective of the two. I use it almost every scenario, unless there are mostly flying monsters, etc. Item 123 isn't bad. Sometimes it gets done hits in with initiative picks, good placement, or lucky missed attacks. At worst, it's a little meat shield. As a Tinkerer, 124 is obviously better, but 123 isn't too bad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Interaction leads to Immersion.
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
you can use both if you are level 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ionas wrote:
you can use both if you are level 3.

but you cant afford both unless youre rich.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerstin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some stuff you don't need to buy whistle

But honestly, item 124 is currently a favorite.
I just played a scenario with several traps next to each other blocking the entry to the next room. Item 124 not only cleared the way, but also killed one elite monster by walking it through two of the 5 point traps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ovis wrote:
Some stuff you don't need to buy whistle

Yeah, we had found 124 too. But it went to the store after the finder retired.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Hansen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
stevelabny wrote:
So I have enough money and available slot to buy one of these two.

Item 123 is "cool" especially within our current story, but seems pretty useless.

My other choice is Item 124

Any comments?

Item 123 is very powerful. I have played with it for several scenarios. If you haven't played with summons, I would suggest buying it and learning about them. Summons are a 60% defensive/40% offensive play. They allow you to manipulate initiative (very powerful) and control the board (very powerful) and deal more attacks per target per round (less powerful, only because they attack weakly). Useful tip: go last in initiative the first round to place your summon and then first the next round to guarantee the attack. Summons tank decently, but the skeleton usually eats 1 to 2 attacks only vs. the rat swarm or any bot.

Item 124 is a Mindthief in a bottle. It's a powerful, useful item if there are traps or dangerous terrain on the board. It will otherwise probably eat an attack or enable extra damage on a critical target.

I prefer 123 to 124 because 123 allows me to protect my teammates when they accidentally barrel into a room with 6 enemies, which happens 50% of the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.