24 Posts

Anachrony» Forums » Rules

Subject: Time for an official FAQ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
LCG 74160
msg tools
mbmb
There are now more than 10001400 posts spread over more than 100150 threads in the rules forum.

An FAQ summarising all these would be really great. An official FAQ with the designer's blessing would be even greater...

Edit: there is now an Official FAQ and errata thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Tuzzi
Italy
Milan
Lombardy
flag msg tools
mbmb
This would be a great idea. And really simple to put together too.

1. The Impact Tile is not a Timeline Tile.

2. The Impact Tile is not a Timeline Tile.

3. The Impact Tile is not a Timeline Tile.

4. The Impact Tile is not a Timeline Tile.

5. The Impact Tile is not a Timeline Tile.

6. Superprojects are not buildings

7. Collapsing Capital Tiles cover the costs originally printed on the board, so ignore them!

8. At the end of phase 6, move all path markers to current era then advance them to the following era.

9. The Impact Tile is not a Timeline Tile.

10. The Impact Tile is not a Timeline Tile.

These are the 10 most frequently asked questions I have seen on the boards

Sorry, I couldn't resist
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You missed "can't build superproject in present after setting focus in the past" and "time travel range is always counted from the present"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
But seriously, it never hurts to start something like that. And if there are only very few actual irregularities or problems, it's set up quickly...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
David actually started one and we attempted to keep it clean e.g. delete posts after answered and only update OP post if they were in fact needed. David can ask the admins to pin it to the top of the forums.

I couldn't find it do maybe I am imagining something that isn't there whistle

11. Do not imagine rules that re not in the rulebook, if it isnt there you can't do/ not do it.

12. Powered Exosuits are clerared every turn and don not carry over if not used.

13. The Impact tile is a marker in the Timeline and is not a Timeline tile.

A bakers dozen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Unfortunately there's no pinning on BGG, but you can add it to the game's description or wiki like was done for Gloomhaven.

It won't stop the same question from keeing being asked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gschmidl wrote:
Unfortunately there's no pinning on BGG, but you can add it to the game's description or wiki like was done for Gloomhaven.

It won't stop the same question from keeing being asked.

It will help reduce some repetitive posts , especially if we ask posters to go to the FAQ one and delete the qn. or keep pointing others to it.

You can pin , recent changes to the bgg Website format have meant its not always present in some views.

You have to be in the sub forum e.g. Rules, Sessions, general etc..

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1732267/pinned-threads-game...

Note the word pinned before the thread.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/forum/179/power-grid/general

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Well! Shows what I know

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Larkin
England
Brighton
Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TDaver wrote:
You missed "can't build superproject in present after setting focus in the past" and "time travel range is always counted from the present"

And you have set your focus to the era with the project you want to build, and then take a build action. They are two separate actions and the build action may get taken while you are adjusting your focus

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bruckart
United States
Gainesville
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Winless Streaker
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd suggest adding that power plant time travel distances aren't cumulative. And that the left council spot can be for the first player action OR can be for any below it (building, recruiting, research).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emanuela
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Let's all have a deep, think-y game... with theme!
badge
Anesthetist by day; gamer by night...
mbmbmbmbmb
brbdc wrote:
I'd suggest adding that power plant time travel distances aren't cumulative. And that the left council spot can be for the first player action OR can be for any below it (building, recruiting, research).

OR both. You can take an unavailable action and take First Player all in one standard action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike George
United States
Smithville
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anybody done a FAQ yet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you guys use this thread to compile an faq, i'll check it, approve it, and then repost it as an official faq. And give geek golds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was hoping we'd get a lovely updated rule book that addresses all the gaps like they did with Trickerion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ALeX
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also mentioned a few times: you can mix and match when trading with nomads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NoFunAtAll
Belgium
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
John Coltrane: My Favorite Things // Jackie Mclean: Swing Swang Swingin' // Clifford Jordan: Cliff Craft // Sam Rivers: Fuchsia Swing Song
mbmbmbmbmb
So far we've played all of these rules correctly it seems . I found the rules to be pretty clear, just sometimes hard to find what you are looking for, I wish all games followed the FFG Reference guide format.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabien Ducat
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
my personal opinion is there are 5 main questions listed here...

Rest are people not reading carefully.

I personally got a first play and the Only question we had concerned the Impact tile. We logically did not counted it.

So... i do not see much specific question from now on. Perhaps extensions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Inman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
Did we get an official ruling on whether building 114 counts as 3 or 6 for the sum of time travel ranges end game condition? Also, did we get an official ruling on whether 401 (and 402) counts as 1 (or 2 for 402) towards this total, or as 1 (or 2 for 402) PER power plant?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rinmanrunner wrote:
Did we get an official ruling on whether building 114 counts as 3 or 6 for the sum of time travel ranges end game condition? Also, did we get an official ruling on whether 401 (and 402) counts as 1 (or 2 for 402) towards this total, or as 1 (or 2 for 402) PER power plant?

401 and 402 counts as 1, 2 not 1-per-power plant etc.

For consistency, I'd rule 114 counts as 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TDaver wrote:
rinmanrunner wrote:

401 and 402 counts as 1, 2 not 1-per-power plant etc.

For consistency, I'd rule 114 counts as 3.

The rules say sum all the ranges and the NOTE : Labs #401 and #402, and the Temporal Tourism Superproject also count towards this sum. Power Plants with an X in their range count as 1 towards this sum.

The key phrase is count towards this sum. I can understand trying to eek out those extra 6-12 points but I think David had it covered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Inman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
Starman54 wrote:
The rules say sum all the ranges and the NOTE : Labs #401 and #402, and the Temporal Tourism Superproject also count towards this sum. Power Plants with an X in their range count as 1 towards this sum.

The rules were not specific in how labs #401 and #402 counted towards the sum. I think it could be argued that by it's own definition Lab #401 extends all of your power plant ranges by one. As the rules say sum all the ranges, then your ranges are actually x+1, y+1 and z+1 for each of your power plants when you have Lab #401 (if you have three power plants). Then your sum would be x+y+z+3.

However, as the designer of the game ruled that lab #401 counts as 1 towards the sum and #402 counts as two towards the sum, I'll play it that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Tuzzi
Italy
Milan
Lombardy
flag msg tools
mbmb
rinmanrunner wrote:
Starman54 wrote:

The rules were not specific in how labs #401 and #402 counted towards the sum. I think it could be argued that by it's own definition Lab #401 extends all of your power plant ranges by one. As the rules say sum all the ranges, then your ranges are actually x+1, y+1 and z+1 for each of your power plants when you have Lab #401 (if you have three power plants). Then your sum would be x+y+z+3.

However, as the designer of the game ruled that lab #401 counts as 1 towards the sum and #402 counts as two towards the sum, I'll play it that way.

I actually interpreted the rule as "sum up all numbers on cards regarding power plant ranges". In this case, the range-extender bonus of labs #401 and #402 would be counted only once, as per designer's rule. Unfortunately, this reasoning has a small flaw: power plant #114 would count 6 and not 3 which is the correct way to do it, if I'm not mistaken.

That would be easily fixed, though, by just saying "sum up all numbers appearing on cards regarding power plant range, using each number only once for each card", thus preventing power plant #114 from counting its range twice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan
United States
Trumbull
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another one for the FAQ:

All rolls for paradoxes are completed BEFORE any warp tiles are removed. This *is* stated in the rulebook, although it is only indicated once by the use of the word "then" so it is very easy to miss.

EDIT: Another one for clarity (though, again, I think it is stated in the rulebook somewhere).

After the impact, the world council spaces may be used to take an action when all of that action's spaces are occupied AND/OR no longer available (due to the collapsing tiles).

(Admittedly not the official terminology.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
The rulebook error regarding the Chronobot paying 2 T/U/G OR 1 N plus 2 Water (as printed on the board) instead of the 1 T/U/G/N plus 1 Water written there should be mentioned, aswell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.