4 Posts

Carson City» Forums » General

Subject: Recommendations for Five Players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A group of us will be playing tomorrow, all for the first time.

I have the Big Box, but thought to scale back to the original rules and components as much as possible (for simplicity).

But I see that, for five players, the Big Box seems to be better rated (mostly "best" - whereas only ~25% say the original game is best with 5).

Are there any of the more advanced rules or components (e.g., townhouses, specific buildings, or characters) in the Big Box that could enhance the game for five (maybe four) beginners?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Powell
United Kingdom
sHifnal
Shropshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game plays well with 4 players.
Once you up that to 5 the board becomes very congested and this creates more competition and more gun duels.
The gun duelling is not everyone's favourite aspect of this game.
With 5 players guns become the best strategy and the game can come down to the winner of the duels in the final round.
So you could be deciding the winner purely on a dice roll.
The Rodeo expansion gives an extra strategy to consider and also follow the suggested set in the rules for Carson city, a quiet city.
This gives you options other than guns.
Enjoy the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Weston
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Because you're all new, I would suggest keeping things as simple as possible. There's plenty to wrap your brains around in the base game.

I would, however, suggest you use the duel tiles in lieu of the die rolls. It makes dueling more strategic and interesting, especially when dueling is more frequent with higher player counts.

I hope you all enjoy it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the advice!

Our fifth player had a cold, so we played with only 4.

We used only the 30 buildings from the original game and the yellow sides of the original 7 characters.

We didn't use townhouses or the duel tiles (no one minded a little luck in this first game).

I think that everyone had the rules down pretty much by halfway through the game. There was one that we missed for a turn or two: that drugstores, banks, and saloons do not get income for adjacent houses owned by other players.

(Although this rule is spelled out as "Important" on page 8 under "Building income," we tries to answer the question by looking instead the rules for buildings on page 11. We reached an erroneous inference because that page calls out that Mines do not benefit from other players' mountains, it does not have corresponding text about other players' houses and drugstores, banks, and saloons.)

Like our first game of Concordia some months ago, a few players felt at the game's end that, while they had mastered the mechanics, it was only when the dust settled that they really understood what was really important to win. So we played another game (it's a lot shorter than Concordia!).

The order of finish was the same in both games - but scores were a lot closer the second time around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.