Dave Cunningham

California
msg tools
Hello,

I am ready to graduate from video games, popular commercial board games, and filler pick-up dice games such as 10,000.

I have literally spent days scouring through YouTube videos and reading Amazon.com game reviews especially the one star, two star, and three star reviews to gain some objective views but noting some can be written off as just haters for hating sake. I think I am going abit delirious from the sheer amount of sensory overload and my shoulder is quite stiff from these "long" nights.

I am basically a wargame newb but love history and so I no doubt have a learning curve however I don't believe I require the extralite "hold my hand" basic games either.

I would appreciate multi-player, two player, and solitaire wargame suggestions.

I just ordered Pandemic: Legacy Season 1 after watching gameplay videos on YouTube. This game looks flipping awesome. I plan to buy multiple themes of the game.

But I am not only seeking wargames, here is a list of games I compiled over the course of a few restless all-niters scouring both YouTube and Amazon.com (adding titles, scratching off titles due to heaviness or mechanic flaws, adding more on, scratching more off again, etc, ad nauseam):

Alien Frontiers
Bang! The Dice Game
Battle Cry
Black Fleet
Commands and Colors: Napoleonics
Dead of Winter
Dead of Winter: The Long Night
First Martians
Flashpoint
Forbidden Desert
Forbidden Island
Freedom: The Underground Railroad
Fury Of Dracula
Hit Z Road
Kemet
King Of New York
King Of Tokyo
Kingsbury
Kingsport
Last Night On Earth
Legendary Encounters: Alien
Level 7 (Omega Protocol)
Mage Knight
Mage Wars
Memoir '44
Mice And Mystics
Murder At The Abbey
Nations: The Dice Game
Pandemic
Pandemic: The Cure
Pandemic: Iberia
Pandemic: Reign Of Cthulhu
Police Precinct
The Resistance
Robinson Crusoe
Roll Through The Ages
Rum And Bones
Run, Fight, Or Die
Secret Hitler
Shadows Over Camelot
Stronghold
Summoner's War
Tales of the Arabian Nights
Terraforming Mars
Through The Ages
Tikal
War of the Ring
Xenoshyft
Zombicide: The Black Plague

Any comments and suggestions are much appreciated, as I said I am basically a bgg newb seeking to increase his collection and hopefully bring together a local circle of other new board gamers.

Regards,

Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Age of Napoleon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Cunningham

California
msg tools
This list is basically my hand-picked first wave of choices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Cunningham

California
msg tools
smithlucas wrote:

Awesome thanks, ironically I was looking at this very game, and a Napoleon title from Columbia, and one other title - Battles of Napoleon.

The latter of which can't be found anywhere at Amazon? Maybe someone can help me with explanation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1754: Conquest – The French and Indian War
1775: Rebellion
1812: The Invasion of Canada

Washington's War
A Few Acres of Snow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Cunningham

California
msg tools
casualcasual wrote:

These games are beautiful, rekindles the addage "kid in a candy store".

Curious, anyone played Wilderness Empires and comments?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Not out quite yet but Commands & Colors Tricorne: The American Revolution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know you want introductory level, but if you want to get more wargamey, see Liberty or Death

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
Ago of Sail: I like Flying Colors
Nap: Napoleonic Wars from GMT card driven fun. Napoleon's Triumph if you want to play a specific battle.
Rev. War: Really like Washington's War.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Rose
United Kingdom
New Malden
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ref Age of Sail - are you looking at small (single ship) actions or fleet battles (ie: Trafalgar)?
Regards
Keith

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Cunningham

California
msg tools
Burnham wrote:

Oh man, now I am seriously torn between Napoleonics and this one. I love the maps and the big blocks. Fortunately this one ain't due til around my birthday. Heh.

(But I do love chits, tiles, and minis too).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Cunningham

California
msg tools
keithrose wrote:
Ref Age of Sail - are you looking at small (single ship) actions or fleet battles (ie: Trafalgar)?
Regards
Keith

Hmm. That's a tough because I see the immense potential in both, especially in a solitaire game.

Solitaire - single ship ... I guess.

Multi/two player - both.

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Cunningham

California
msg tools
One thing I am enjoying is there is a lot crossover uniformity between these games and the titles I gathered in my personal "research".

Take me to a game store and put me in the wargame aisle and one can lose me for a few hours. My game budget is lean.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Cunningham

California
msg tools
mi_de wrote:
Ago of Sail: I like Flying Colors
Nap: Napoleonic Wars from GMT card driven fun. Napoleon's Triumph if you want to play a specific battle.
Rev. War: Really like Washington's War.

Flying Colors (all four volumes) looks very intriguing unfortunately all but one of the volumes is currently OOP and fetching prices between $123-$200 on Amazon and eBay. As much as I love age of sail, that price is way too steep especially in the light of how many in print games (wargame or otherwise) I can cram into that same amount of money.

Thank you for the excellent suggestion though and hopefully the first two volumes will be reprinted in the near future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Cunningham

California
msg tools
I am going to broaden the age of sail subject, any great age of exploration "simulators" or age of sail piracy board games?

I have a couple of pirate titles in my OP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hold the line

A great 2-player wargame. US War of Independence setting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Cunningham

California
msg tools
Professor X wrote:
Hold the line

A great 2-player wargame. US War of Independence setting.

Awesome thanks, my first purchases are gonna be tough because my game budget restraints basically is one to two maybe three games per a purchase every couple/few months, which is actually beneficial and ideal for me not to swamp myself with too many rulebooks to learn at a time with the exception being familiarity of course.

I plan to eventually own most if not all of these wargame suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Cunningham

California
msg tools
Thanks for all the great suggestions, I am leaning very strongly towards GMT Games as their games have solitaire features, such as Liberty or Death.

They offer some other awesome thematic solitaire games:

Apache Wars
Comancheria (once great nation of NA horsemen that ruled the great plains similar to the Mongols of Central Asia)
Conquest of Paradise
Falling Skies
Fire in the Lake

And of course the block sets of Commands and Colors (all of them).

These look like real winners, I have a large table in my bedroom to lay them out.

Solitaire option or by design ultimately swayed me towards these games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Johnson
United States
Chester
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
random guest wrote:
I am leaning very strongly towards GMT Games

There's no doubt that GMT makes some of the best war and strategy games out there: Twilight Struggle, Commands and Colors, COIN series, all of which I have enjoyed.

However many of GMT's games are on the medium-to-high complexity level with lawyerly rulebooks which can be a huge turnoff to people new to the hobby.

I strongly suggest that you try one of these games out and see if you like it before you dive into the deep end.

Also, some GMT games come with a "playbook" in addition to the rulebook. These are great places to start in understanding how the game operates. Do not dismiss these playbooks as mere bonus materials included with the box.

Finally, if you want to play their most famous game - Twilight Struggle - solitaire, you can download the app onto your tablet or onto your computer from Steam. You can then play it against halfway-decent AI or expert online opponents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Cunningham

California
msg tools
johnnyonthespot1 wrote:
random guest wrote:
I am leaning very strongly towards GMT Games

There's no doubt that GMT makes some of the best war and strategy games out there: Twilight Struggle, Commands and Colors, COIN series, all of which I have enjoyed.

However many of GMT's games are on the medium-to-high complexity level with lawyerly rulebooks which can be a huge turnoff to people new to the hobby.

I strongly suggest that you try one of these games out and see if you like it before you dive into the deep end.

Also, some GMT games come with a "playbook" in addition to the rulebook. These are great places to start in understanding how the game operates. Do not dismiss these playbooks as mere bonus materials included with the box.

Finally, if you want to play their most famous game - Twilight Struggle - solitaire, you can download the app onto your tablet or onto your computer from Steam. You can then play it against halfway-decent AI or expert online opponents.

Thanks for the advice, I am leery of heavy games. I will be sure to take in some gameplay on video.

What about Worthington Games?

They have three games I am really interested in:

Hold The Line: The American Revolution
Wilderness Empires
Sea Kings

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Johnson
United States
Chester
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, you should play multiple games of basic Pandemic before going into Pandemic Legacy. You can do this with the contents of the Pandemic Legacy box; just don't use anything from the legacy deck.

While the basic game isn't that complex, there is some interplay between each of the player roles which only becomes apparent after a few games. Also, you need to fully understand how important "play at any time/does not require an action" is to the game.

If you don't master this, you may struggle to keep track of the basic rules which are constantly incorporating new twists and turns due to the evolution of the legacy system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Cunningham

California
msg tools
johnnyonthespot1 wrote:
Also, you should play multiple games of basic Pandemic before going into Pandemic Legacy. You can do this with the contents of the Pandemic Legacy box; just don't use anything from the legacy deck.

While the basic game isn't that complex, there is some interplay between each of the player roles which only becomes apparent after a few games. Also, you need to fully understand how important "play at any time/does not require an action" is to the game.

If you don't master this, you may struggle to keep track of the basic rules which are constantly incorporating new twists and turns due to the evolution of the legacy system.

Definitely, as I researched the game and the publisher provides a fantastic tutorial on YouTube. I had one troubling thought that this game may have lose its replay value upon completion until I read that basically, no.. you have a highly personalized board (ahem legacy board) and it never loses its replay value, is this true?

And also, both to you John Johnson and the rest of the board, what about DVG's Field Commander: Napoleon? Much appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Valdez
msg tools
random guest wrote:
Thanks for the advice, I am leery of heavy games. I will be sure to take in some gameplay on video.

Fire in the Lake is not light at all. I put it in my personal "heavy" category. Others might rate it more to the medium than heavy but I've never read anyone claiming it's light.

For what it's worth, I'm about to start my 11th play of Fire in the Lake with Playbook Example 5, which I've tacked onto the top of a medium length scenario deck. I expect playing through example itself will take me a couple of hours to thoroughly investigate, then another 10-12 hours playing time over a few days to play out the deck of ~39 cards.

While I like this sort of thing, I'm expecting it.

You might like it as well, as long as you're expecting it.

And if you go with Fire in the Lake, it might be smart to expect it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Cunningham

California
msg tools
mtngrown wrote:
random guest wrote:

Fire in the Lake is not light at all. I put it in my personal "heavy" category. Others might rate it more to the medium than heavy but I've never read anyone claiming it's light.

For what it's worth, I'm about to start my 11th play of Fire in the Lake with Playbook Example 5, which I've tacked onto the top of a medium length scenario deck. I expect playing through example itself will take me a couple of hours to thoroughly investigate, then another 10-12 hours playing time over a few days to play out the deck of ~39 cards.

Investigate? You already lost me there. Heh. But I don't have a problem with the games length per se, this is to simulate a campaign, right?

Now, do you leave the game set or tear it down every time? Neither is a problem with me I have a very large table in my room.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Valdez
msg tools
random guest wrote:
mtngrown wrote:
random guest wrote:

Investigate? You already lost me there. Heh. But I don't have a problem with the games length per se, this is to simulate a campaign, right?

Now, do you leave the game set or tear it down every time? Neither is a problem with me I have a very large table in my room.

"Investigate," for me, means going through the rules and bot charts very, very carefully, and writing up answers, with references to the rule book section, to all the questions I have. For the playbook, I try to work out the problem myself, then compare my solution with the what's in the playbook. Takes more than a few minutes.

I do leave it set up.

Since I do leave it set up, I typically keep a written log of cards and actions played, which allows me to play one card at a time, then go do something else, like laundry or whatnot. When I'm on a good roll I can play (and write up) maybe 4-5 cards per hour. If I get stuck on a card, might take me an hour to figure out what to do.

(I get all my AP out of the way in solo games, which lets me play much faster with live opponents.)

If you feel up for a challenge, and have a sincere interest in the Vietnam war, Fire in the Lake might be a good candidate for a heavy game. You can leave it set, the cards are packed full of history, and the game seems to simulate, at a high level, what the various factions were attempting to achieve.

One of the coolest things about the game is that many of the cards describe events for which entire other wargames have been designed. Interested in why the SEALORDS event works the way it does? Go play the game: Sealords: The Vietnam War in the Mekong Delta.

Since this is starting to read like a sales pitch anyway, I'll conclude with "you get what you pay for." Fire in the Lake is pretty heavy, but the payoff for me is worth my time invested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.