Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Troyes» Forums » General

Subject: Was there ever an English only 2016 reprint? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The versions page has this link, https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgameversion/325368/pearl-game... which is listed a unreleased.

Is this correct? Was there ever an English only 2016 base Troyes release, that got sold out (maybe? Please tell me where I can find a copy if not!), or was it ever only French / English?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig B
Australia
Mount Hawthorn
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah it just came out like sometime in the last 4 weeks. But I don't think they printed enough so.... need to hunt around a bit depending on where you live. It's in stock most places around me, so I can't imagine it should be too hard to find most places.... not that Oz is the greatest comparison. But I mean if they managed to get a shipping container here, then pretty confident it should be widely available in USA or Europe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Brogdon
United States
Moscow
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yogibbear wrote:
Yeah it just came out like sometime in the last 4 weeks. But I don't think they printed enough so.... need to hunt around a bit depending on where you live. It's in stock most places around me, so I can't imagine it should be too hard to find most places.... not that Oz is the greatest comparison. But I mean if they managed to get a shipping container here, then pretty confident it should be widely available in USA or Europe.

Hardly. I preordered it from my FLGS back last April and they still haven't received a single copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ad Astra Per Aspera
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
No matter where you go, there you are.
badge
Preserve Our Wildlife!
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually no.

As I understand it the "English Edition" was actually a French/English edition. This is what I received and is what's at my FLGS right now. There is a thread on this already (I started it as I had the same question). Oddly, and unlike the Troyes reprint, the 2016 (2017) reprint of the Troyes expansion "Ladies of Troyes" is in fact English only.

This doesn't make sense, but has been well documented.

Ironically, the earlier reprint by ZMAN (the newest reprint is from Pearl) was in fact English only. I wish the newest one was English only as I find it tedious to have to constantly read the small (english) translation below the French title on the cards.

As a side note, one good way to tell which cards the actions come from when you're looking up the definitions is if the card is Fench/English (base game) or straight English (Ladies).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maddest Hatter, yes I saw your thread, but my question was intended to be a little different. You wanted to know if you had the English version, and I'd describe your version (French/English) as an English version. It's very common to make games multilingual to save costs. But sometimes these multilingual versions only exist in Europe, while the USA might get an English only print.

So I was wondering if this was the case here, especially after seeing the listing I linked to, which is separate from the French/English edition listing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ad Astra Per Aspera
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Preserve Our Wildlife!
mbmbmbmbmb
g54pcys wrote:
Maddest Hatter, yes I saw your thread, but my question was intended to be a little different. You wanted to know if you had the English version, and I'd describe your version (French/English) as an English version. It's very common to make games multilingual to save costs. But sometimes these multilingual versions only exist in Europe, while the USA might get an English only print.

So I was wondering if this was the case here, especially after seeing the listing I linked to, which is separate from the French/English edition listing.

I guess didn't articulate my original post correctly then as my question was intended to get the same answer as yours.

I've been told there is no English only 2016 reprint. I not only asked here on BGG (who generally know more than the retailers), but also asked a number of retailers before I bought mine. I'm down here in Florida and my FLGS received 2 copies. I actually demoed one in store for some people that bought it (I offered to show them how to play). I half wanted to show strangers how to play, and half wanted to see if the action cards were the same as mine or if I had somehow ended up with a different version. Those cards were also French/English along with a set of rules in both languages.

The previous ZMAN reprint was indeed English only. However, likely for the reason you suggested above, the 2016 "English" release of this game is indeed the Fench/English version. And the according to a number of retailers, as well as people on BGG, and in my original post, there is no 2016 English only version. Wish there was, but there isn't.

If I remember correctly, it's the same entry in the BGG versions listing that prompted me to search around frantically for the English Only edition and began calling various retailers. Who again told me that this is what they received when the "English Edition" orders were filled. I haven't heard/seen anything to suggest otherwise.

Again, not a fan of having to read the subtext of the card titles on the cards, but it's hardly the end of the world.

At least Ladies, strangely enough, is English only.

I was also told, if it truly matters to you that you get the English only cards, seek out the ZMAN reprint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanks for the detailed response. No, it ultimately doesn't worry me (although preference is to match, obviously), and the older ZMAN printing can be hard to find.

Would you happen to know, by chance, whether this 2016 print of Troyes and Ladies was a one off, or whether they'll keep printing more when stock is out?

Ultimately I'm trying to decide if I need to buy now or whether I can wait. International shipping is expensive for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
g54pcys wrote:
Would you happen to know, by chance, whether this 2016 print of Troyes and Ladies was a one off, or whether they'll keep printing more when stock is out?

Ultimately I'm trying to decide if I need to buy now or whether I can wait. International shipping is expensive for me.

This should answer your question: https://www.asmodee.us/en/upcoming/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ad Astra Per Aspera
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Preserve Our Wildlife!
mbmbmbmbmb
DarthEd wrote:
g54pcys wrote:

This should answer your question: https://www.asmodee.us/en/upcoming/

If the past is any indication of how long it will take for this next printing to hit your hands you might want to consider trying to find a copy now. You can wait - but it seems like it's going to be an awfully long wait. Someone else can chime in, but I'm guessing 6 months at least.

Edit" And there's no guarantee the same thing won't happen again. Short-printed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
So I've gone ahead and ordered this game and the expansion. I emailed Pearl Games and this is what they said:

"The 2016 Troyes reprint and its extension is a success, especially in the USA (our distributor has sold all its boxes).
There will be a new reprint in 2017. It is likely that there will be no more reprint in 2018."

So I figured I'd get in while I can; the next and possibly final print run may well sell out quickly also.

Thanks for all the help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.