BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Simple Strategic Game rules? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jordi Haro
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
Wondering If anyone know rules for a generic strategic game someone can use to build his own wargames. Something simple in the style of old PC games like North and South or the famous Total War series. So I can create my own maps and then use the rules to play it.

Wondering If is something like that out there.

BTW I accept home rules, no need to be a commercial game.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You might get more replies if you post this question in the wargame subdomain of Board game geek.

I don't know of any such set of rules but it sounds like something that might exist. My only suggestion is to take a simple game you like and use its rules on any map you choose. It might not be a good simulation but it will probably be a fun game. The simpler the rule set the better.

I remember as a teenager playing "go" on various maps I made. As an example I would take a map of Europe, place a large sheet of paper over it, draw dots on all the cities, draw straight line connections between cities corresponding to roads (but not a grid), and voila ... go on a map of Europe.

Have fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd look at the HoldFast series. The games are low complexity, but the rules are interesting and look like they could adapt to other eras.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordi Haro
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
Holdfast look like a good start place, I will check it, but also, where's the Wargame subdomain?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am not an expert, so this is probably the hard way to post in the wargame subdomain.

1. Hover your mouse over the words "board Games" at the top left of the BGG front page. A box should appear with options.

2. Click on "Wargames" which is under subdomains.

3. Hover over the word "Forums" near the center of the options bar that is the second from the top of the BGG front page. A box should appear with options.

4. Click on the words "post thread" of the wargames section. (not the "post thread" of the forums section.)

5. After that, I am not sure.

Good luck.

For viewing the threads in the wargame subdomain there is a "subdomain forums" section on the BGG front page with about 10 visible threads.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B B

Baldwin City
KS
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://boardgamegeek.com/forum/743498/wargames/general

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Ladenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wizard Kings is, what you are looking for:

Simple rules, cost calculation for units and playable on every kind of map.

Kind regards,
Kai

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.