6 Posts

Dead of Winter: The Long Night» Forums » Rules

Subject: Silly question about the game and the modules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick
Philippines
flag msg tools
Hi, just bought the game, but have not played the original base game. My question is, can we play the game without applying any modules since it's our first time? Would that be easier and better to start with?

I know it's a silly question, but this would be the most complex game we'll be playing since we're new to playing board games.

Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Channell
Australia
Townsville
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. Just remove any of the cards with that small symbol as detailed in the rule book. Enjoy the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick
Philippines
flag msg tools
Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Illinois
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The modules create a type of paradox in my opinion.

Once you learn the ins and outs of the game, you might realize that Raxxon completely breaks the game despite adding complexity. So the game becomes easier, but more complex if you are experienced with the game. With no modules whatsoever, the game becomes simpler but more difficult because those gamebreaking items are now out of play.

As a first timer, the improvement module might be better to try out. It isn't that complex at all and only serves to make the game easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick
Philippines
flag msg tools
Mimikyu wrote:
The modules create a type of paradox in my opinion.

Once you learn the ins and outs of the game, you might realize that Raxxon completely breaks the game despite adding complexity. So the game becomes easier, but more complex if you are experienced with the game. With no modules whatsoever, the game becomes simpler but more difficult because those gamebreaking items are now out of play.

As a first timer, the improvement module might be better to try out. It isn't that complex at all and only serves to make the game easier.

Thanks for the tip! We'll probably play our next game with the improvements module first, then add in the bandits on our second run, then probably add the raxxon last if ever we feel like it. Though I haven't gone through the rules for those yet. I'm hoping they can make the game experience much more better, but yeah, I've read reviews the Raxxon can either make or break the game. Let's see when we play, so I'll know what you guys mean.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Illinois
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thetelecaster23 wrote:

Thanks for the tip! We'll probably play our next game with the improvements module first, then add in the bandits on our second run, then probably add the raxxon last if ever we feel like it. Though I haven't gone through the rules for those yet. I'm hoping they can make the game experience much more better, but yeah, I've read reviews the Raxxon can either make or break the game. Let's see when we play, so I'll know what you guys mean.

I highly recommend the special missions (R1-3 and B1-3) if that's what you're doing. They teach you all you need to know about each module.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.