Subject: First Game of Scythe rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Wallwork
United Kingdom
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After it's arrival on Friday I got it setup yesterday morning (had to finish a game of Labyrinth first otherwise it would have been on the table the instant it arrived) Everything looks very nice. Game was missing 1 yellow star however so that was annoying but I can live with it. Jumped straight in to play against the Automa. Had watched the tutorials on Youtube and followed along while I was playing. And it crushed me!! I'm on the easiest setting and it just made a beeline for me and wouldn't let me break out of my home region, as you can see in the picture of the final game board. Probably doesn't help that I didn't really know what my own strategy was and I was trying to do to many things. Ended up with 82 coins against my 24. And the missing star doesn't sound like it will be missed if I keep playing like this

Anyway it appears that the Automa is going to be a challenge (even more so when I get all the spare spots filled by Automa's thanks to the Scythekick app) and the designer of the Automa is an evil genius

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Wise
United States
Tupelo
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you contact Stonemaier Games, they will sort your missing yellow star out. Jamey will probably reply to this thread before you can look up his website.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrew: We have a replacement parts helper in the UK who can send you the missing star ASAP if you fill out this form: http://stonemaiergames.com/replacement-parts/

Good luck with Automa!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tasmanuk wrote:
After it's arrival on Friday I got it setup yesterday morning (had to finish a game of Labyrinth first otherwise it would have been on the table the instant it arrived) Everything looks very nice. Game was missing 1 yellow star however so that was annoying but I can live with it. Jumped straight in to play against the Automa. Had watched the tutorials on Youtube and followed along while I was playing. And it crushed me!! I'm on the easiest setting and it just made a beeline for me and wouldn't let me break out of my home region, as you can see in the picture of the final game board. Probably doesn't help that I didn't really know what my own strategy was and I was trying to do to many things. Ended up with 82 coins against my 24. And the missing star doesn't sound like it will be missed if I keep playing like this

Anyway it appears that the Automa is going to be a challenge (even more so when I get all the spare spots filled by Automa's thanks to the Scythekick app) and the designer of the Automa is an evil genius

There are a few fairly common mistakes that make the Automa much harder than intended, so let's check whether one of them should have tripped you up:

1) Performing all the actions in the first line of the Automa card instead of just the first valid one.

2) Forgetting that the Automa cant leave it's home peninsula for the first few turns.

3) Forgetting to skip everything on the cards that Autometta is skipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wallwork
United Kingdom
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thankyou very much Jamey. I wasn't going to bother as it is only 1 star but as you seem to have local shipping options I have filled in the form

jameystegmaier wrote:
Andrew: We have a replacement parts helper in the UK who can send you the missing star ASAP if you fill out this form: http://stonemaiergames.com/replacement-parts/

Good luck with Automa!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wallwork
United Kingdom
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope had all those rules sorted. I just have to accept that I got beaten by a better bot

mortenmdk wrote:
There are a few fairly common mistakes that make the Automa much harder than intended, so let's check whether one of them should have tripped you up:

1) Performing all the actions in the first line of the Automa card instead of just the first valid one.

2) Forgetting that the Automa cant leave it's home peninsula for the first few turns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tasmanuk wrote:
Nope had all those rules sorted. I just have to accept that I got beaten by a better bot

mortenmdk wrote:

I advice you to beat it soon or it'll develop quite an attitude. There's been reports of the Automa shouting taunts so loud that it could be heard even though the box was closed on the shelf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ius gaming
msg tools
In my experience the Automa its pressure starts to escalate once the first of its combat units comes near your territory due to Automa teleportation. My advice is to preemptively attack that unit in order to reset the enemy march, or use one of your own combat units to redirect their movement.

In all cases, focus on doing both top and bottom row actions as much as possible. Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Happy Everything!
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tasmanuk wrote:
... Jumped straight in to play against the Automa. Had watched the tutorials on Youtube and followed along while I was playing. And it crushed me!! [snip]

I'm glad to hear this happened to someone else, I was feeling pretty bad about getting beaten by a bot... three times now gulp

And I really have to agree about the designer of the Automa being an evil genius
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
- -
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Couldn't help but notice you were playing against the automa as Crimea. This may be considered something of a "cheese strat", but I've found that you can seriously abuse the Scout mech against automa players (the first two at least).

As far as I'm aware, it doesn't take into account whether or not it has any combat cards when deciding whether to attack you. If you start initiating combats early (even possibly starting with one you might lose), you can quickly get rid of all the automa's combat cards unless it gets extremely lucky. A compounding effect is that the automa rarely conserves power, so if you can get it into a fight where you know it won't have a combat card (i.e. because it starts the combat with one card which you steal), you can conserve your power and have an advantage in the next fight.

Since the automa still gains a card after combat losses, this does mean your game will be pretty combat heavy (4-ish combats?). Make sure to upgrade both bolster actions (especially cards) to carry you through. Happy automa hunting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tigiba wrote:
And I really have to agree about the designer of the Automa being an evil genius

I'll send all you mechs back to whence they came from. I'll steal all your resources. I'll control the Factory and use its tech to conquer the world and wipe you from the face of the Earth. I'll rule with an iron fist and make all you puny humans slaves to the will of the Automas. Muahahaha.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fortheloveofdice
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will concur that directing Automa movement (by where you place your character / mechs / workers) is very powerful.

It can be worth it to lose popularity to drive an Automa worker or two home as well since that can help control its geographical reach.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chuck reaume
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I squeaked out a victory in my first full game over three Automattas last night, surely aided by the fact it took me half a game to figure out thier movement.

I HIGHLY recommend downloading ScytheKick if you have an iOS device.

But agree 100% - the Automatta is designed really, really well.

Also, Stonemaier's customer support is outstanding. I had a chipped power token on the base game and a chip off of one of the Albion mechs from the expansion and they replaced both with nothing more on my part than filling out their replacement form.

Jamey and Stonemaier are making me a life-long customer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
reemer wrote:
I squeaked out a victory in my first full game over three Automattas last night, surely aided by the fact it took me half a game to figure out thier movement.

I HIGHLY recommend downloading ScytheKick if you have an iOS device.

But agree 100% - the Automatta is designed really, really well.

Also, Stonemaier's customer support is outstanding. I had a chipped power token on the base game and a chip off of one of the Albion mechs from the expansion and they replaced both with nothing more on my part than filling out their replacement form.

Jamey and Stonemaier are making me a life-long customer.

Thank you for the kind words . I'm happy that you liked playing against our Automas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Beunis
msg tools
mb
I won my first game against Autometta with 71 to 70
it was a close game and cant wait to play it again
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spanny wrote:
I won my first game against Autometta with 71 to 70
it was a close game and cant wait to play it again

Look you made poor little Autometta cry: cry.

Gratz on winning, I'm happy to hear that you like it .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.