Subject: New info? Rules? Next video in series? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marcel
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It's been some time since pre-orders closed and since we had our last video about First Martians. I'd love to hear a small update on the printing process done in Poland;is it coming along nicely? What about the series of First Martian videos? Have the rules been finalised? Can we have a look at / talk about the app and its look + functionality?

I know that Portal Games are not obliged to give any of this information but they've been quite openly talking about it before and fell silent a bit preceding/following Cannes.

Have a great weekend!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ignacy Trzewiczek
Poland
Gliwice
Slask
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
We are on our way to GAMA Trade Show.
Right after the GAMA we will publish the next video in the series.
In the meantine we published a short report from demo games of First Martians in Cannes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John B
United States
Mountain view
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the Cannes video. While watching it, I had a thought about the app. During the demos, the app seems to be accessed throughout the game? IF the app needs access to a Portal server (don't know if the app requires internet), then the demos provided some limited testing of server response. But once you sell (10,000?) copies, do you have an idea how well the server(s) will scale to the stress?

Else, IF the app is fully self contained and only uses internet for periodic updates, then the most likely potential issue will be players downloading the app when they first start playing it.

EDIT: These thoughts are framed from the perspective of a Windows PC user.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
johnb4bgg wrote:
Else, IF the app is fully self contained and only uses internet for periodic updates, then the most likely potential issue will be players downloading the app when they first start playing it.

I bet they'll use the official Google Play / iOS store. I can't imagine that they'd put something like an apk file (Android installer) on their server; for iOS they have to use the store because only jailbroken phones can install unsigned apps, afaik.

So: their servers might get hammered if it's an constantly-online app but not during installation from official App stores.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John B
United States
Mountain view
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I would agree. I should have made a clarification, that my comments are Windows PC centric. I'll edit it now...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
johnb4bgg wrote:
I would agree. I should have made a clarification, that my comments are Windows PC centric. I'll edit it now...

I suspect the PC app will be on Steam.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
It's a love/hate relationship.
badge
Check out my board game instructional videos on my YouTube channel: "The Game Explainer".
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope it's a standalone app like for Alchemists. That app works great with the board game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Koenig
Germany
Fuerth
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
Tom is crazy!
mbmbmbmbmb
Better watch this !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8Tzdbxq6V4

Ignacy is simply awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John B
United States
Mountain view
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the vid. The designer states in the vid (~28 min) that the app will be on app store(apple), Google store, and steam. Up to 5 campaign saves so that your various groups can stay separated. He also states that he's confident that solo play will be awesome (~29.5 min).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ignacy Trzewiczek
Poland
Gliwice
Slask
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
johnb4bgg wrote:
Thanks for the Cannes video. While watching it, I had a thought about the app. During the demos, the app seems to be accessed throughout the game? IF the app needs access to a Portal server (don't know if the app requires internet), then the demos provided some limited testing of server response. But once you sell (10,000?) copies, do you have an idea how well the server(s) will scale to the stress?

EDIT: These thoughts are framed from the perspective of a Windows PC user.

Thank you for the question. The app works offline. You need to be online only when you update app with new content (like new event cards or missions).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Calcagno
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh please, oh please ... oh please ....... please release the rulebookDpwhistle?????
Please?

I'm ready to explode/zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Medany
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
trzewik wrote:
We are on our way to GAMA Trade Show.
Right after the GAMA we will publish the next video in the series.
In the meantine we published a short report from demo games of First Martians in Cannes.

If people are play testing (like Dice Tower) can we PLEASE see the rule book LOL ... Seriously ... as a preorderer ... whose paid ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
April has arrived. Any news on the Martian front? How is the preorder's production coming along? How about the rules?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Koenig
Germany
Fuerth
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
Tom is crazy!
mbmbmbmbmb
Some new details

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ok, I mean, I know that there's no obligation to supply us with information but... can we at least finish the component video series??

11 Jan 2017---First Martians: Adventure On The Red Planet Video Highlight
-14 days later-
25 Jan 2017---First Martians: Adventure On The Red planet - Explore, Gather and Research
-22 days later-
16 Feb 2017---First Martians - Building, Upgrading, Fixing HUB
-53 days later-
10 Apr 2017---First Martians - Med Lab, Control Center & Crew Quarters

On twitter subscribers are "bombarded" (that is just a personal perception and opinion and I know that I don't have to stay subscribed to @trzewik) with myriads of Robinson Cruseo, 51st State, Tides of Time or Imperial Settlers photos, stories and retweets about #Boardamesthattellstories. Why not tell a story about First Martians, a game that some of us ordered for almost double the MSRP (to get it a little earlier with a few interesting components) and that Ignacy desperately tried to dehype later... but so many Portal Tweets / videos end with a plea to share, to tell everyone about available Portal games, Portal game prototypes, about #boardgamesthattellstories and a lot more. Bring cookies! Bring your friends. Survive the island...

I'd love to see a little less of that and a little more information about a game (Yes, yes, yes... "It's just a game! Lower the hype, people!!") I've paid for and whose spectacularly innovative app ...we still haven't seen after months and months of bits and pieces of information. We haven't even gotten to read the rules yet and I distinctly remember some Portal game posts about "finalizing" them mooooonths ago.

I've been enjoying Robinson but I've also been playing loads of other games--I'm not sitting here every day, nervously checking the First Martian section every 5 minutes. But as my inbox likes to remind me:

Quote:
Your card ******** has been charged for the amount of 85.00 USD for Portal Games sp. z o. o in 2017-02-16 23:09:14.

I guess it was never defined as a kind of Kickstarter campaign with constant updates but those stretch goals and the constant tweets and pleas to share (for example on Twitter: "Pls, RT!" as in "Pre-orders for First Martians re-opened! Please, RT! Link: http://portalgames.pl/shop/en/first-martians-195.p.html …" or "We are down to about 300 last copies of First Martians. If you plan to pre-order it's now or never. Pls, RT!") when the "campaign" was up and running sure made it feel that way.

So, please, can we have some updates about the rules, the app, and about the print run? How is it coming along? Is it on time? If it is on time: What time is that? May? June? July? August? After GenCon but before Spiel?

Again: I do not want to bash Ignacy, who's been touring a lot of conventions lately, but after backing the stretch-goal-free 2nd printing of Gloomhaven and reading the (almost) weekly updates from Isaac Childres and getting to play the KS mini-campaign + getting to vote on Road events and future missions with hundreds of fellow gamers here on BGG... it kinda makes

- 1 video every 1 or 1 1/2 months about 1 aspect of a game
- for which we haven't seen one whole round of play (could've been a video of one of those play sessions at convention X)
- for which we haven't seen the rule book
- for which we haven't seen one screenshot of the much lauded app after almost 4 months (!)

look a bit "shabby".

And making fun of the situation ("Another boring video about First Martians.- this time about healing and wounds! #LoweringTheHype Link:...") is surely meant well but doesn't really help to alleviate my slight personal misgivings about how to campaign and info trickle-down has been handled.

Again: I know it is just a game. I've loads of other games that get played almost weekly. But First Martians is a game I've spent $85 on mooooonths ago and I'd like them to make a little bit more effort after their "campaign" suddenly ended (cue the "Are preorders closed???" posts on bgg following the whole paypal debacle) and they fell silent on social media (unless you count the videos being dispatched in ever greater intervals).

edit reason: typos
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
*crickets chirping*

16 Feb 2017---First Martians - Building, Upgrading, Fixing HUB
-53 days later-
10 Apr 2017---First Martians - Med Lab, Control Center & Crew Quarters
-20 days+ and counting... no news / new video / anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

I'm sorry but after one Alien Artifact and Imperial Settler post after another... I am having a hard time finding this constant silence and piecemeal information campaign funny. Either you hype your game into oblivion or you cop out and tell everyone that "it's just a game". Sorry, it's a game 3000 of us spent 80+ USD on and we (sorry to repeat myself) have seen neither rules, one round of gameplay or even all of the game's components (see unfinished video series and/or zero info on the app).

Why am I so adamant about this? Because I've seen other campaigns run by humble folk who tried to answer any upcoming questions, uploaded videos or rules or goodies in a timely fashion and who did not run a spammy "Tell everyone about this awesome game! It's going to be awesome. The best. #boardgamesthattellstories" (not an actual quote but not far off) and then not only dropped off the face of the earth (at least pertaining to said game) or actually made fun of the hype they generated.

Again: Why am I being somewhat annoyed? Because I backed another campaign only days ago and--Geez--that one was handled so much better. Look at the decisiveness of the stretch goals in your First Martian campaign (you even made a video in which you reacted to that), at the PayPal debacle, at the silence afterwards and the slow dripping of any new information. Instead, your twitter followers get presented with every other Portal Game in existence---or those yet to come (*cough*AlienArtifacts*cough*). And now we are getting second-hand rumors about a month-long delay? Here are about 3000 people who backed your game and I bet they'd be glad to get some more information.

No matter how much my game group loves Robinson, the stupid cursed goat and the constant shitty weather on that godforsaken island: Please don't forget those 3000+ people stranded on Mars. We are the First Martians and we'll not be forgotten...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Alder
United Kingdom

Wales
flag msg tools
badge
Lost In Time & Space
mbmbmbmbmb
I also pre-ordered First Martians and am somewhat dismayed at the lack of information being released.

I've no doubt at all that the game will be amazing but this radio silence on anything First Martians related is simply acting to stoke the fires of concern.

Not so long ago I praised Portal Games on YouTube following one of their videos for their communication and interaction with their fans. I now find myself strongly leaning in the other direction.

Some reassurance that all is on track would be nice.

Happy Gaming
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ignacy Trzewiczek
Poland
Gliwice
Slask
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for being excited about the game. We post the updates as soon as we can. You must understand that recording videos and post-production, subtitles take time.

You mention and quote our Twitter, that is a perfect way to see that for the past 3 weeks, I visited Canada, USA, France and Poznań (in Poland). And yet, you ask why I did not record a new video. I do my best to communicate with fans, I answer all questions, whenever I am at the airport, hotel (like right now) or in the office. Being at airport, hotel or at the con it is impossible to record and publish the video about the game. I am all to help you and provide you with info about the game.

New video in the series is planned to be recorded next week and with post production, we plan to release it another week.

The game is scheduled to be released in August. There is still plenty of time to the premiere.

Of course, our fans who pre-ordered the game earlier will get the game earlier and will have a great time playing it weeks before anybody else. You must remember though that publishing schedule for videos/rulebook/GDJ articles is aimed at the street date, which is the official release date.

#lowerthehype
#lowerthepressue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zoltán Dudás
Hungary
flag msg tools
trzewik wrote:
The game is scheduled to be released in August. There is still plenty of time to the premiere.

Of course, our fans who pre-ordered the game earlier will get the game earlier and will have a great time playing it weeks before anybody else.

Hey Ignacy,
could you please confirm how many weeks earlier we are talking about for pre-order?

Because a bit more than a week ago your customer support told me that pre-order fullfillment is still planned for end of May.
Which is great, cause that would mean a lot of weeks earlier.
..But exactly for this reason I am rather sceptical now. Especially that in the same statement you say that there is tons of time to publish rulebook for example. :S

Edit: saw your related post in a different thread. Nevermind then

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Koenig
Germany
Fuerth
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
Tom is crazy!
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Calcagno
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for posting the latest video. It was obviously a simplified rules explanation, but in the video, we were shown the loss of 2 energy (thus shutting down 2 rooms) and the loss of 2 oxygenators (shutting down an additional 2 rooms). Is this how it will be, needing to shut down 4 rooms, or may we select 2 rooms needing oxygen, thus fulfilling the 2 energy/2 oxygen loss taken care of with only 2 rooms being shut down? Seems you could kill two birds with one stone...or, more precisely, 4 birds with 2 stones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spike225BGG wrote:
trzewik wrote:

Of course, our fans who pre-ordered the game earlier will get the game earlier and will have a great time playing it weeks before anybody else.

Hey Ignacy,
could you please confirm how many weeks earlier we are talking about for pre-order?

Because a bit more than a week ago your customer support told me that pre-order fullfillment is still planned for end of May.
Which is great, cause that would mean a lot of weeks earlier.
..But exactly for this reason I am rather sceptical now. Especially that in the same statement you say that there is tons of time to publish rulebook for example. :S

Edit: saw your related post in a different thread. Nevermind then

Which other thread? And what was posted?

I would like to know this too as I am concerned that it will arrive (or at least delivery will be attempted) whilst I am away, either side of UK Games Expo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zoltán Dudás
Hungary
flag msg tools
Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Which other thread? And what was posted?

I would like to know this too as I am concerned that it will arrive (or at least delivery will be attempted) whilst I am away, either side of UK Games Expo.

This one, posted on 4th of May.

trzewik wrote:
The game will be released at Gen con in August.
Pre-orders will be sent May/June, about 8 weeks before street date.
Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ignacy Trzewiczek
Poland
Gliwice
Slask
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
If a facility has a shut down token, you cannot put on this facility another shut down token.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.