Subject: Area effect / disadvantage / retaliate questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Kameron
msg tools
Hello

I have seen many questions on these topics, but I am hoping I could clarify:

(1)
If a characters casts an AOE spell which affects several targets, including adjacent enemies, and the spell is e.g. 'range 2', are the attacks against adjacent enemies considered melee attacks, therefore with disadvantage and potential retaliate?

(2)
Does retaliate activate only if it is after the monster has had their turn? Similarly, if they are stunned, they therefore do not retaliate even if their initiative number is passed?

(3)
The brute has a charge ability which moves through several mobs THEN attacks them (according to the order on the card). Suppose these mobs have retaliate.
Does the Brute FIRST move the full distance (say, in a line), then attack each creature as a 'melee' attack, even though they are now several hexes away? And, can those ones retaliate? I am assuming any creatures adjacent at the end of the move can retaliate.
Or, are the attacks made 1-at-a-time as the warrior steps on the tile of each of the units? In which case they would definitely be melee attacks and retaliate would be enabled.

(4)
Am I correct that all attacks are either melee or ranged attacks? And that all ranged attacks for adjacent enemies are in fact melee attacks?

Thank you =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the retaliate is on their stat card it is always active, if it is on their action card it is only effective when their initiative is triggered.

If a ranged attack is against an adjacent enemy it is a disadvantaged range attack. But if it is your action on the top of your card, you can use it as a basic 2 melee and not be disadvantaged. But only monsters need a focus, so you could choose another target for your ranged attack if there is a valid alternative.

AOE attacks are situational, but only require one of the targets to actually be within range but you must have LOS to any targets you hit. If there is a grey hex on the AOE card, it requires your character to be in that position and it is a melee attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Montgomery Box
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Fizi wrote:
Hello

(1)
If a characters casts an AOE spell which affects several targets, including adjacent enemies, and the spell is e.g. 'range 2', are the attacks against adjacent enemies considered melee attacks, therefore with disadvantage and potential retaliate?

Any attack that has the "Range" line is a ranged attack. Therefore, it will be at disadvantage against adjacent targets.

Any attack on an adjacent enemy with retaliate will cause it to retaliate against you, regardless of it was a ranged or melee attack.

Fizi wrote:
(2)
Does retaliate activate only if it is after the monster has had their turn? Similarly, if they are stunned, they therefore do not retaliate even if their initiative number is passed?

It depends. A retaliate that's on the monster card (which lists their health etc) will always work, regardless of if the monster is stunned or hasn't gone yet.

A retaliate on the monster ability card is only activated when the monster gets it's turn. Stun prevents them from having a turn, so in that case the retaliate would never be "turned on"

Fizi wrote:
(3)
The brute has a charge ability which moves through several mobs THEN attacks them (according to the order on the card). Suppose these mobs have retaliate.
Does the Brute FIRST move the full distance (say, in a line), then attack each creature as a 'melee' attack, even though they are now several hexes away? And, can those ones retaliate? I am assuming any creatures adjacent at the end of the move can retaliate.
Or, are the attacks made 1-at-a-time as the warrior steps on the tile of each of the units? In which case they would definitely be melee attacks and retaliate would be enabled.

You just follow the card. You do the full move, then resolve the melee attacks one by one. If the Brute is now out of the range of any retaliate, then it won't effect him.

Fizi wrote:
(4)
Am I correct that all attacks are either melee or ranged attacks? And that all ranged attacks for adjacent enemies are in fact melee attacks?

Thank you =)

Yes, all attacks are either melee or ranged. Ranged attacks against adjacent enemies is at disadvantage. If it's got the ranged line, it doesn't change to a melee attack just because your adjacent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
Is it a moose that became a detective ? Or a detective who searches for moose?
mbmbmbmbmb
1> If a character's attack says RANGE (or for monsters, if a monster has a range listed on his square stat card or an ability card says Range) the attack is Ranged and will be at disadvantage for an adjacent enemy. Retaliate works against ANY attack from an adjacent hex, melee or ranged.

2> As the other reply said, Retaliate from a modifier card starts at their initiative and last until end of round. Retaliate on their suare character card is always active. Stunned creatures can't use abilities on their ability cards on their turn. If the Retaliate has already been activated or comes from their stat card, it stays in effect because it happens on your turn. Don't always look at Retaliate as a counter-attack, imagine being close to a fire elemental or ice elemental - if you're adjacent its too hot/cold and it hurts.

3> The Brute's Trample allows him to move through enemies and then perform a melee attack against all of them even though he is no longer adjacent to them. In this case, Retaliate from non-adjacent enemies does NOT happen as the Brute is no longer adjacent. For the same reason, a melee attack with Push will prevent Retaliate, but Disarm will not.

4> All attacks are either melee or ranged based on what the character card says or based on the monster's stat card and modifier card (If the monster's stat card lists range it always attacks ranged, if the stat card lists Range- then its ability card might still give it a ranged attack. I have yet to see any example of a monster with a ranged stat card being given melee attacks.) Ranged attacks against adjacent enemies are still ranged attacks and happen at disadvantage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Kameron
msg tools
Thank you all, very clear replies!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Latimore
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
Deverash wrote:
Fizi wrote:
Hello

(1)

Any attack that has the "Range" line is a ranged attack. Therefore, it will be at disadvantage against adjacent targets.

Any attack on an adjacent enemy with retaliate will cause it to retaliate against you, regardless of it was a ranged or melee attack.

Fizi wrote:
(2)

It depends. A retaliate that's on the monster card (which lists their health etc) will always work, regardless of if the monster is stunned or hasn't gone yet.

A retaliate on the monster ability card is only activated when the monster gets it's turn. Stun prevents them from having a turn, so in that case the retaliate would never be "turned on"

Fizi wrote:
(3)

You just follow the card. You do the full move, then resolve the melee attacks one by one. If the Brute is now out of the range of any retaliate, then it won't effect him.

Fizi wrote:
(4)

Thank you =)

Yes, all attacks are either melee or ranged. Ranged attacks against adjacent enemies is at disadvantage. If it's got the ranged line, it doesn't change to a melee attack just because your adjacent.

What if there is no range line, but it says "Target all enemies in range 2"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Florin
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stevelabny wrote:

4> All attacks are either melee or ranged based on what the character card says or based on the monster's stat card and modifier card (If the monster's stat card lists range it always attacks ranged, if the stat card lists Range- then its ability card might still give it a ranged attack. I have yet to see any example of a monster with a ranged stat card being given melee attacks.) Ranged attacks against adjacent enemies are still ranged attacks and happen at disadvantage.

I believe there is a monster that gets a melee AoE from their ability card. That attack is not performed as a ranged attack even though the stat card has a range specified (Isaac answered that question at some point).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerstin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aflorin wrote:
stevelabny wrote:

I believe there is a monster that gets a melee AoE from their ability card. That attack is not performed as a ranged attack even though the stat card has a range specified (Isaac answered that question at some point).

As I ran into it just yesteday, I'm pretty sure the (spoiler for monster that has it)
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Wind demon

has it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.