Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
As promised:

Camera cut off near the end before I could unveil the boards sadly... but they are nice and large. One board for the game, one for the Interstellar expansion and then reverse both for a large board for the main game (wowza!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daffin
United Kingdom
Ledbury
Herefordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for this Kevin.

It looks like the quality of the final product is pretty high, would you agree?

There's still an anxious wait for the game over here in Europe.

Looking forward to hearing more of your thoughts on the game production and how it plays (after you've made your way through the mini-novella that is the rules!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Cleary
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What version are the rules? Is there a day month year inside the cover?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
BigD145 wrote:

Good question. They are all marked "Living Rules: Updated May 1, 2016"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Cleary
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm. Okay. At least the changes from Nov 2015 and on got in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ola Mikael Hansson
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
klkitchens wrote:
BigD145 wrote:

Good question. They are all marked "Living Rules: Updated May 1, 2016"

Does that mean, given that the living rules linked from Sierra Madre's website says "Updated Nov 20, 2015", that these rules are fully up to date with the living rules?

And if not, how to find out what is different? (Without reading through both and doing a side-by-side comparison myself.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Rachemoss
United States
Silver City
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.
mbmbmbmbmb
unic wrote:
Does that mean, given that the living rules linked from Sierra Madre's website says "Updated Nov 20, 2015", that these rules are fully up to date with the living rules?

And if not, how to find out what is different? (Without reading through both and doing a side-by-side comparison myself.)

Check out this recent thread: Are printed rules up-to-date?

TL;DR:
andrewdoull wrote:
Despite all the hilarious speculation in this thread, assuming all the edits Drake made are correctly added, the printed rules will actually be ahead of and more accurate than the living rules.

One of the joys of the new edition will be revising the living rules to match the printed rules, not the other way around. The differences are not significant but there'll be some fixes that will need to be ported back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Mirror
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Very excited for my copy to arrive! I preordered through a Canadian retailer (boardgamebliss.com), any idea when Canadian retailers should be getting their copies?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ola Mikael Hansson
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BitJam wrote:
Check out this recent thread: Are printed rules up-to-date?

TL;DR:
andrewdoull wrote:
Despite all the hilarious speculation in this thread, assuming all the edits Drake made are correctly added, the printed rules will actually be ahead of and more accurate than the living rules.

One of the joys of the new edition will be revising the living rules to match the printed rules, not the other way around. The differences are not significant but there'll be some fixes that will need to be ported back.

Thanks! That thread was still doing "hilarious speculation" back when I read it, had not seen that post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Doull
Australia
Kirrawee
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
I should make a few caveats to the 'rules will never change'.

1. Interstellar never got the play test coverage it needed and so there may be some minor fix ups to the rules for some corner cases. Check the High Frontier Interstellar forums.

2. I should have pushed harder to make the Exomigration module the official solitaire rules, rather than having multiiple slightly different solitaire rules. BTW: The only 3rd edition rules errata I'm aware of is that the Hermes Fall solitaire rules neglected to mention events should be resolved every turn. This is my fault.

3. I'm not sure what is happening with the exploration module. These rules never stopped being in a constant state of flux even post Kickstarter and I'm not even sure if Drake bothered trying to check if they were consistent for the print edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Rachemoss
United States
Silver City
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.
mbmbmbmbmb
andrewdoull wrote:
I should have pushed harder to make the Exomigration module the official solitaire rules, rather than having multiiple slightly different solitaire rules.

Is there somewhere I can find out more about this? I'd like to know what you think the solitaire rules should be.

Should we move the rules discussion to the are printed rules up-to-date thread or some other thread?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Doull
Australia
Kirrawee
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
For the record, I think the rules that are printed should be the rules that are played. High Frontier has a justifiably bad record as having many games ruined because of the rules being in flux and that is a terrible position for the game to be in.

The solitaire rules are fine as is. They just have to have a lot of exceptions because the political game is non-existent in solitaire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesus Berjano
United Kingdom
Coventry
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great, I finally decided to preorder this one, can't wait for the copies to arrive to EU
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan C
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose."
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks quite impressive, and that I'll have my reading cut out for me when it arrives. If the rules are clear and for the most part stable, then I think this edition is a win.

The new rocket figures are also a cool improvement over the original 2nd edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Gastonguay
United States
Pottstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Act Three! Everybody Dies!
mb
andrewdoull wrote:

2. I should have pushed harder to make the Exomigration module the official solitaire rules, rather than having multiiple slightly different solitaire rules. BTW: The only 3rd edition rules errata I'm aware of is that the Hermes Fall solitaire rules neglected to mention events should be resolved every turn. This is my fault.

While I agree the Exomigration rules are kinda awesome (changing politics while solo is nice to have), those rules are lacking a win/lose condition, if I'm remembering right, don't they? That'd just be a "Beat your high score" game, then, right? Or at least a play into Interstellar solitaire game, which is also awesome if you have the time for it (ie. a weekend).

I personally prefer CEO solitaire as it has a concrete win/loss and I have about a 60% win percentage with it.

No offense to your hard work or anything. Don't want to sound like I'm disparaging or anything. I want to add the Exomigration rules to CEO solitaire, now that I'm thinking about it. Why not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Garycki
Poland
Gdansk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
CthulhuKid wrote:
[q="andrewdoull"]
I want to add the Exomigration rules to CEO solitaire, now that I'm thinking about it. Why not?

andrewdoull wrote:

2. I should have pushed harder to make the Exomigration module the official solitaire rules, rather than having multiiple slightly different solitaire rules.

So please check the "CEO Solitaire link to Expert Modules (Exomigration, Exploration, Simulation, Interstellar, Visions)" variant published here in BGG by me. I made an effort to link CEO to Exomigration. Using this, you may also link CEO to other Expert modules - this is all modular.

andrewdoull wrote:

3. I'm not sure what is happening with the exploration module. These rules never stopped being in a constant state of flux even post Kickstarter and I'm not even sure if Drake bothered trying to check if they were consistent for the print edition.

Exploration module was only added one change post Kickstarter (a small balancing issue to the Search for Life glory reward). I always play all modules on and I am fine with the Exploration outcome. (As I am with Exomigration and to a lesser extent Simulation).

However there is an addon called "Visions of the Future Glories" which did not make it to the rules since it is based on the later-published wonderful NASA postcards. Visions serves either as additional glory cards for a standard game play or as a very complex enchancement to the Exploration module. Visions is also here on BGG as a Word document written in the format of the Living Rules.

Note that both CEO link to Expert Modules and Visions are available in the latest Cyberboard version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Garycki
Poland
Gdansk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
andrewdoull wrote:
I should make a few caveats to the 'rules will never change'.

After publication of the 3rd edition there will be some feedback from players. While Basic/Colonisation game has been given huge amount of play tests and will remain stable, the additional stuff in the Expert modules will receive feedback and may form the basis for the 4th edition of the game in the future. The need for solo play may help here. CEO Solitaire may become much more official rules for playing the game with 1 player, Exomigration will surely interest solo players, Exploration may interest those seeking for more adventures in the game, Simulation may interest those who are going to raise the bar and Interstellar is perfect for the solo play. Also Visions' may generate some demand to include them to the official rules. The only obstacle is the lack of comprehensive game help sheets for the Expert and Solo modules. There are lots of changes to cards for example. Should there be a P'n'P print run available or a deluxe content publisher, it would be easier to play those modules on the physical copy of the game. I will print them using lo-res cuts nevertheless. Your new card proposals mentioned may also be printed, should you provide some graphics to them. I especially miss the radical faction Bernals of your design which are the low hanging fruit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Doull
Australia
Kirrawee
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
CthulhuKid wrote:
andrewdoull wrote:

While I agree the Exomigration rules are kinda awesome (changing politics while solo is nice to have), those rules are lacking a win/lose condition, if I'm remembering right, don't they? That'd just be a "Beat your high score" game, then, right? Or at least a play into Interstellar solitaire game, which is also awesome if you have the time for it (ie. a weekend).

I personally prefer CEO solitaire as it has a concrete win/loss and I have about a 60% win percentage with it.

No offense to your hard work or anything. Don't want to sound like I'm disparaging or anything. I want to add the Exomigration rules to CEO solitaire, now that I'm thinking about it. Why not?
k

To be clear, yes, you'd totally need to add one of the many solitaire scenarios to the Exomigration rules. But they would have made a good baseline for how to handle politics in solitaire.

It sounds like Pawel's Exploration module has got mixed into and incorrectly credited to me which is disappointing. I had helped him on it, but it should be credited to the correct person.

Having said that, I'm not sure whether my missing development credit for the 3rd edition of Interstellar has been fixed up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.