Risk Europe» Forums » Variants

Subject: Deployment restrictions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Johan Bengter
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In our game did a player save a lot of coins and could then deploy a large army anywhere in his empire. I suggest that another deployment restriction is added that states that you only are allowed to deploy max the number of units that is equal to twice the tax value of the area when executing a spend order. So for instance in Constantinople that has a tax value of 3 are you allowed to deploy max 6 units. You could of course buy unit for a greater value for instance 6 cavalry units if you can afford it. Have anyone tried some similar house rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not so sure that a restriction like that is needed, if I saw someone who is not spending their money on more troops and waiting until they can spend once for a lot of troops, I would attack them mercilessly.

The rules on Page 14 under "1. Recruit Army Units" says you're allowed to spend as much as you want as long as you can afford it.

It doesn't say you attack that person saving up all their coins.

"To WAR!!!!!!!"
~Saruman the White
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
This also happened in our first game; one player was expanding (from Madrid) with minimal forces without anyone attacking him, saving all his coins, and not spending them. By the time we'd run through the cards twice he'd accumulated a massive pile of over 60 coins, making it difficult to approach him, as he could build a massive army almost anywhere.

It was partly a failure of diplomacy and partly bad initial placement by some of us, as the first three cities were StockHolm, Paris and (!) Berlin, the last meaning they were tightly clustered together. Thus it was natural that the other players were manoeuvring against each other (though fighting was minimal) and we couldn't afford to save our money. But it was also not too surprising that as the other player was expanding peacefully, and not buying troops, nobody was initially concerned with him, having enough already to deal with. It's notable also that the game allows this expansion by providing free troops in various ways, which can be claimed without a player ever having to spend money (in this case the 4 footman for Madrid were particularly useful).

While it's true that traditional Risk has always allowed bonus troops to appear from nowhere, it's a bit of a detraction from realism, and I'm not sure this kind of exploit can be excused by players failing to play diplomatically or not aggressively enough towards the exploiter. Made worse by the fact that you can build castles and immediately build fresh troops on them (nothing to stop that as I read the rules. Axis and allies dealt with this by only allowing unlimited building on the original industrial complexes; expanded ones were limited by production of the outlying areas as the poster suggests. Some kind of house rule like this might be helpful to avoid silly situations. I would also say that the rule allowing players to buy their way to victory is unhelpful; use the advanced crown card rules or simply disallow it. (If only because it's a pretty lame way to win).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David LeftOn4ya
United States
Florence
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
See my thread Slight rule changes for a smoother, more balanced game Steps for Kingdom Placement which for me has solved the issue of one person growing without being checked due to either great initial placement or in-game politics

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Rucker

RANCHO SANTA MARGARITA
California
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
attacking players with a lot of coins can really mess things up for them. If their cities are unguarded, they're not allowed to recruit into their cities once those territories are in dispute.

sometimes striking the player who is hoarding money before they can recruit can be an effective strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.