Hide
8 Posts

Jump Drive» Forums » Rules

Subject: A few questions (simulataneous military + defense, power, explore rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
lel dude
msg tools
1) Assuming I have no military currently: Can I place a development with a +1 military (paying its full cost) alongside a 1 defense world on the same turn?

in other words, can a development's military affect the placement of a defense world on the current round?

2) Does a development/ world's power come into effect EVERY round? or is it a one use effect?

3) If im understanding the explore action correctly, can it also be interpreted as "Draw 5 cards + a card for each explore icon in your empire. Discard down to 2 to keep." The rulebook is so verbose in explaining the explore action that it's confusing...

4) How many times can the explore action be used in a game? 8 times in any game regardless of player count? or is one player limited to one explore action per game?

thank you for clarifying!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
leldude wrote:
1) Assuming I have no military currently: Can I place a development with a +1 military (paying its full cost) alongside a 1 defense world on the same turn?

in other words, can a development's military affect the placement of a defense world on the current round?

2) Does a development/ world's power come into effect EVERY round? or is it a one use effect?

3) If im understanding the explore action correctly, can it also be interpreted as "Draw 5 cards + a card for each explore icon in your empire. Discard down to 2 to keep." The rulebook is so verbose in explaining the explore action that it's confusing...

4) How many times can the explore action be used in a game? 8 times in any game regardless of player count? or is one player limited to one explore action per game?

thank you for clarifying!!

1- yes you can, it's stated in the rules

2- The powers that are written on the boxes above the VP's and $ income should be permanent (unless the card states otherwise, don't know if there such cards in the game)

3- I also find a bit confusing the way Explore is explained in the rulebook but I think you got it right...
You draw 2 cards + 3 more because of the 3 explore icons on the tile, so 5 cards and then you draw one more card for each Explore icon present on cards your Empire...
You add all these cards into yor hand and then you have to discard a total of X (the number of cards you drew minus 2, so at the end of the Explore action you will have 2 more cards in your hand than you had before

4- I think it's 8 times... if a player could only do 1 explore action there would be no need for more than 4 Explore tiles (like they did for the Survey Team card)
correct reply bellow (it's unlimited)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben G
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
leldude wrote:

Tom Lehmann clarified himself that there is no limit to the number of times explore can be done in this tread https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1711591/explore-marker-sele...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
leldude wrote:

You are misunderstanding it a bit. You do draw cards as you say, but when discarding the cards can come from either the drawn cards or your existing hand. (Or, as the rules put it, you combine the drawn cards with your hand, and then discard the combined hand down to the proper number.) Very useful if your hand has gotten cluttered with useless cards: you can get rid of all of them, if the cards you draw would work better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lel dude
msg tools
thank you for the helpful reply!

Regarding 3: When required to discard down to a hand of a net gain of 2, am I allowed to discard cards that were in my hand prior to drawing the new cards?

For example I have 2 cards: A,B in my hand. Then I draw cards C,D,E,F,G. So now I need to keep a hand of 4 cards.

Can my new hand consist of C,D,E,F as I discard A,B,G?
or must it be A,B + 2 of C,D,E,F,G?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Muse23PT wrote:
leldude wrote:

2- The powers that are written on the boxes above the VP's and $ income should be permanent (unless the card states otherwise, don't know if there such cards in the game)

Colony Convoy specifies that you discard it from your empire when you use its ability, so that is a one use effect. That's the only such effect I know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
leldude wrote:
For example I have 2 cards: A,B in my hand. Then I draw cards C,D,E,F,G. So now I need to keep a hand of 4 cards.

Can my new hand consist of C,D,E,F as I discard A,B,G?
or must it be A,B + 2 of C,D,E,F,G?

The first one: C, D, E, F is a valid play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
leldude wrote:
can a development's military affect the placement of a defense world on the current round?

Yes. See the Order rules and the example on round 1 of the sample turns.

Quote:
The rulebook is so verbose in explaining the explore action that it's confusing...

That's because it is stating that you add cards *to your hand*, so you can then discard whichever cards you wish. If you want a shorter version, try the one on the summary card:

Place [explore marker]
Draw 2 + [eyeballs], mix with hand
discard [eyeballs], flip over marker

Quote:
How many times can the explore action be used in a game?

Unlimited (although most players rarely do so more than once or twice per game since the game is so few rounds). It is listed as one of the 4 player options every round under Play and on the summary card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.