Final Act» Forums » Rules

Subject: Last Line of Defense and Line of Sight questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Kwasny
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My brother and I had a chance to play our first two-player game of Final Act last night and it was a wild fight. I eliminated 3 of his tanks early but he fell back on the defense and whittled me down until we both had 3 tanks left. I finally eliminated his two tanks on his left and broke through for a narrow victory!

But we realized we were unsure what the actual Last Line of Defense is. We assumed it was just the 6 middle squares on the last row with the colors of that side. Thus to win, we had to get a tank to that last line in one of the 6 center squares.

But now we are unsure. Is the Last Line of Defense just the 6 middle squares or the entire last row? We liked having to break through the center. But we were curious if we misinterpreted the rule.

Also, can a tank on a berm see over other berms, over a destroyed tank, and over Smoke?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sharon Katz
msg tools
Hi Mark
1. Last line of defense is defined as the whole last row (12 squares)
2. Tank on a berm can shoot over destroyed tanks
Smoke is smoke...no advantage being on a berm
A tank on a berm can't target tanks behind a berm.

Advantages of being on a berm:
Shoot longer range
Shoot freely over other tanks.

Hope this helps
Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Kwasny
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It does! Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurentiu Cristofor
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sharkatz wrote:

Unless it's the same berm, right?

I was also wondering if a tank at an end of a berm can shoot along the berm at a tank right at the base of the opposite end of the berm. Sounds like you meant for that to be possible, but I wonder whether a small LOS rule addition would not make the game more realistic in this scenario. The rule would be: if you shoot across the berm, then you cannot hit as many spaces beyond the berm as there are berm spaces you are shooting over.

Sharkatz wrote:

2. Tank on a berm can shoot over destroyed tanks

Now that I think of it, I also see a problem with this, because destroyed tanks were shown to break LOS. I thought one of the principles was that the places you can shoot at, you can also be shot at from (with the possible exception of the extra space you get from shooting straight forward from a berm). Both tanks should be able to shoot over the tank in between or neither should.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurentiu Cristofor
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sharkatz wrote:

After doing another pass through the rule book, this statement also seems to contradict the printed rules that say that on a berm "you may shell any of the targets in your cone of fire with no line of fire limitations".

There are basically two contradicting rules here: the one that says that berms break line of fire and this rule that seems to say that from a berm you no longer have any line of fire limitations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.