Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » Rules

Subject: Triple Arrow Character - thought I understood it till I read the FAQ rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
Is it a moose that became a detective ? Or a detective who searches for moose?
mbmbmbmbmb
Unlocked him tonight. Thought his cards made sense, then read the FAQ and got bewildered. So I have two questions brought on by the FAQ. Having problems with BGG multiquoting and not sure why since I've done it successfully before, so quoting the old fashioned way.

FAQ says "Sharpening Kit (Card 207) : The bottom effect applies to allies only while they are adjacent to you (like an aura), not allies adjacent to you at the time this action was performed."

But Sharpening Kit's bottom effect is range2.

1>Is this an error in the FAQ using "adjacent" instead of "within range" or is this a nerf/errata limiting the ability to adjacent?

Proficiency (card 208) says "Once during each of your Attack actions, if you use an item, add +1 Attack to the entire Attack action."

The FAQ defines an attack action as (strikethroughs mine) "And attack is a single attack on a single target that flips over a single attack modifier card. And attack action constitutes all the attacks made with a specific action (entire top or bottom half of an ability card)."

To me these two things would clearly state an attack action includes multiple attacks as long as they come from the same half of the card (top or bottom). So an Attack2/Move2/Attack2 all on a top half would be one attack action consisting of two attacks and a move. If I use an item to boost that movement, BOTH attacks would get the benefit since it is all part of the same attack action. However, if I use boots on a bottom Move4 that I combine with a top Attack2, that attack would NOT get the boost because it is not part of the attack action, its a separate move action because they are on separate cards.

But then under the Quartermaster section, the FAQ says "Proficiency (Card 208): Note that for the top ability, the item used doesn't have to directly affect the attack. Any items that you can use "during your turn" could also apply, and, if the attack action is also a move action (i.e. it has both an attack ability and a move ability), any items that apply to a move action could also work."

2> Is "during your turn" meant to be a buff/errata for the card? Or is it a mistake that should read "during your attack action"? Or am I drastically misunderstanding something? Because I understand "Attack action" as any half-card that includes one or more attacks. And a "turn" as a top half AND a bottom half and those are two very different things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
toeknee n
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For the FAQ on Proficiency, Isaac is just clarifying that some items state "During your turn," do stuff, and such items can also activate the Proficiency effect. For instance, you could use a Minor Stamina Potion during your Attack Action to get the +1.

Edit 2: So, the FAQ entry says items that affect attacks are valid, items that affect movement are valid (if movement was part of the Attack Action), and items that state "during your turn" are also valid.

Edit: For the FAQ on Sharpening Kit, I think that's just a copy-paste error. If it was a misprint on the card or balancing change, it would have clearly been indicated in the FAQ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
Is it a moose that became a detective ? Or a detective who searches for moose?
mbmbmbmbmb
DoctaWho wrote:
For the FAQ on Proficiency, Isaac is just clarifying that some items state "During your turn," do stuff, and such items can also activate the Proficiency effect. For instance, you could use a Minor Stamina Potion during your Attack Action to get the +1.

Edit: For the FAQ on Sharpening Kit, I think that's just a copy-paste error. If it was a misprint on the card or balancing change, it would have clearly been indicated in the FAQ.

That's what I assumed about the Sharpening Kit, and I understand what you're saying about the Proficiency card. I was only in the mindset of items that help attack/move/something else in the attack action and not thinking of 'generic' items being used 'during' the actiom.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Childres
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
DoctaWho is correct on all counts. I will edit the mistake in the FAQ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maxime Blanchette
Canada
Roxton Pond
Québec
flag msg tools
Gloomhaven is the only game now! -_^
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Proficiency: do you get 2 XP at the time you activate the card ? Or, you get 2 XP each time you activate the +1 Attack?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maxime Blanchette
Canada
Roxton Pond
Québec
flag msg tools
Gloomhaven is the only game now! -_^
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
W01FVF wrote:
Proficiency: do you get 2 XP at the time you activate the card ? Or, you get 2 XP each time you activate the +1 Attack?

Nevermind. It doesn't make sense to have two XP each time you using an item... 😊

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.