Recommend
24 
 Thumb up
 Hide
23 Posts

Combat Commander: Europe» Forums » General

Subject: CC is a must have game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Blanchett

Decatur
Alabama
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just recently acquired most of the CC system, just waiting to get Normandy and Pacific. After reading up on it I went all in. After having played 5 solos games and then played two games F2F yesterday, I couldn't be happier with a game/gaming system. It is a blast to play, easy to learn and not hard to figure out the few ambiguities. I started a fledgling CC group here, and look forward to playing this game a whole lot.
53 
 Thumb up
6.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Retiredgrunt wrote:
I just recently acquired most of the CC system, just waiting to get Normandy and Pacific. After reading up on it I went all in. After having played 5 solos games and then played two games F2F yesterday, I couldn't be happier with a game/gaming system. It is a blast to play, easy to learn and not hard to figure out the few ambiguities. I started a fledgling CC group here, and look forward to playing this game a whole lot.


QFT
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Len K
United States
Westford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
East is east, and west is west, and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce, they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the fold, Scott! CC is my favorite wargame, hands down.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
+ 1

thumbsup
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Clevenger
United States
Sunnyvale
75182
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Such a great story unfolds with every game. It's a playable version of Advanced Squad Leader.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ambiguities? What?

Truly a great game.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stacey Hager
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

It is a must-have title for the 2-player gamer's shelf.

It's been a regularly played part of my collection for 8 years, and my friends and I are not even remotely tired of it.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Eh. Dunno if it's a must have game, since there's enough obnoxious about it that I wouldn't fault someone for choosing a different system.

I don't regret buying it all, though!!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe C Faust
United States
Hartville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
One of us, one of us. Gobble, gobble, gobble.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
shager wrote:

It is a must-have title for the 2-player gamer's shelf.

It's been a regularly played part of my collection for 8 years, and my friends and I are not even remotely tired of it.


As well as solo wargamers!!!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfy Burger
Mali
Bamako
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Good thing you got Pacific, I think it's the better game by a large margin.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ive never punched my Pacific. Never had to...
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sduke wrote:
Ive never punched my Pacific. Never had to...


Never worried about adding it. Have all of Europe.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesus Berjano
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
England
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
How does this play solo? I had looked into it as I've heard Kevin saying that is quite good for solo a few times, but when I started researching there seems to be quite a few hidden information to play two sided and the GMT solo ranking is on the low side, if I remember correctly is a 3 in the scale. It looks very interesting, but I wouldn't get more people to play with me regularly to this one, not many wargamers in my FLGS (I'm trying hard to bring them to the dark side though ).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jesberpen wrote:
How does this play solo? I had looked into it as I've heard Kevin saying that is quite good for solo a few times, but when I started researching there seems to be quite a few hidden information to play two sided and the GMT solo ranking is on the low side, if I remember correctly is a 3 in the scale.

The secret hands of cards driving the actions of both players indeed make it not very solo-appealing for many people. If you're not into soloing games with secret hands of cards for both sides, then you would not be into soloing CC. You can see for yourself (on the game's main page) that the user poll about number of players for CC says 62% don't recommend it for solo. (In contrast, for example, 67% do recommend the similar-complexity-and-scale-and-subject-matter game Band of Brothers: Screaming Eagles for solo. I believe that the secret hands of cards are clearly the significant difference here.)

(But there is a Law Of Wargame Soloing: for EVERY wargame X, there exist enthusiastic proponents who say wargame X is fantastic for soloing both sides.)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesus Berjano
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
England
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
jesberpen wrote:
How does this play solo? I had looked into it as I've heard Kevin saying that is quite good for solo a few times, but when I started researching there seems to be quite a few hidden information to play two sided and the GMT solo ranking is on the low side, if I remember correctly is a 3 in the scale.

The secret hands of cards driving the actions of both players indeed make it not very solo-appealing for many people. If you're not into soloing games with secret hands of cards for both sides, then you would not be into soloing CC. You can see for yourself (on the game's main page) that the user poll about number of players for CC says 62% don't recommend it for solo. (In contrast, for example, 67% do recommend the similar-complexity-and-scale-and-subject-matter game Band of Brothers: Screaming Eagles for solo. I believe that the secret hands of cards are clearly the significant difference here.)

(But there is a Law Of Wargame Soloing: for EVERY wargame X, there exist enthusiastic proponents who say wargame X is fantastic for soloing both sides.)


Thanks for your answer, I'm ok with playing different sides by myself, but so many great games on the market I think I'll skip on games with secret information to play just solo. Hopefully I'll get to try this one at some point with somebody's copy as it looks a very good system
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jesberpen wrote:
russ wrote:
jesberpen wrote:
How does this play solo? I had looked into it as I've heard Kevin saying that is quite good for solo a few times, but when I started researching there seems to be quite a few hidden information to play two sided and the GMT solo ranking is on the low side, if I remember correctly is a 3 in the scale.

The secret hands of cards driving the actions of both players indeed make it not very solo-appealing for many people. If you're not into soloing games with secret hands of cards for both sides, then you would not be into soloing CC. You can see for yourself (on the game's main page) that the user poll about number of players for CC says 62% don't recommend it for solo. (In contrast, for example, 67% do recommend the similar-complexity-and-scale-and-subject-matter game Band of Brothers: Screaming Eagles for solo. I believe that the secret hands of cards are clearly the significant difference here.)

(But there is a Law Of Wargame Soloing: for EVERY wargame X, there exist enthusiastic proponents who say wargame X is fantastic for soloing both sides.)


Thanks for your answer, I'm ok with playing different sides by myself, but so many great games on the market I think I'll skip on games with secret information to play just solo. Hopefully I'll get to try this one at some point with somebody's copy as it looks a very good system


The secret hands are not a hassle and many enjoy this solo.

A game like Twilight Struggle or Paths of Glory the cards are a little more relevant in their uniqueness but even those have solo AI options or card selection grids to make them soloable.

With CC the cards don't vary much so it's more which you have at the moment.

It's a simple matter of not looking at drawn cards for each hand until needed. Not a hurdle at all and any wargamer who enjoys playing anything 2 sided won't have a problem playing this one.
3 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Rohrman
United States
Antioch - 60002
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
klkitchens wrote:
sduke wrote:
Ive never punched my Pacific. Never had to...


Never worried about adding it. Have all of Europe.


Question For Sduke & KLK...
Did you get CC: Mediterranean - and if so - do you Enjoy / Play It?

Is it also a "Must-Have"?

Thanks!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Storm_72 wrote:
klkitchens wrote:
sduke wrote:
Ive never punched my Pacific. Never had to...


Never worried about adding it. Have all of Europe.


Question For Sduke & KLK...
Did you get CC: Mediterranean - and if so - do you Enjoy / Play It?

Is it also a "Must-Have"?

Thanks!


It's the first expansion you should get for CC:E as it adds many other forces and units, not just missions.

So yes.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Storm_72 wrote:
Did you get CC: Mediterranean - and if so - do you Enjoy / Play It?

Is it also a "Must-Have"?

Not technically a must-have (I happily played only CCE for a few years), but even non-completionist me eventually got CCM (it's the only CC expansion I bought) and started playing with it. It doubles your number of armies (adding French, British, Italian) and your number of maps. (It also gives you some nicer larger versions of some markers.) So very very close to must-have, say 99%. If you have even the slightest completionist tendencies, then yes, get CCM.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Len K
United States
Westford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
East is east, and west is west, and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce, they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
They're all "must-haves!"

But seriously, thumbsup to what's already been said about CC:M. In addition, the CC:M playbook gives you the full RSG (random scenario generator) rules so that's a plus as well.

Also a +1 for CC;P. There are enough rule changes (Japanese, terrain, asset handling) that the game is a different experience.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
k1nu wrote:
In addition, the CC:M playbook gives you the full RSG (random scenario generator) rules so that's a plus as well.

To clarify: CCE alone has a fine Random Scenario Generator; CCM gives a newer version of the RSG. Both work well!
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Massey
United States
Teachey
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Casual wargamer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
CC:Med also adds three new nationalities to the system along with their fate decks!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.