22 Posts

Firefly: The Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: GWEK - The Kitchen Sink rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
With all the emphasis I've been putting on THE BLACK MARKET recently, I was originally planning to hold this stuff back for a while, but since a lot of it is polishes of existing cards, I figured why not share?

I've got a bunch of stuff for an as-yet-unnamed project (or projects) that will follow SYFY'S FRIDAY KNIGHTS. The emphasis right now is on material from the series and movie that has not yet been touched, but it will include other stuff as well.

At Meridian, we've got BANNING and BELINDA:

Osiris...

Persephone...

At Silverhold, only one card for now, but also something for those who might have missed the promo...

A few leaders to bring some gender equality!

And finally, a bit of a solution to the unbalance of the Walden. Give it a starting upgrade!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All awesome.

The ability for Window Shop and Debutante are the same. Not sure if you meant that or if you mean to use the same name for all of them.

On Belinda, I love the ability, but don't know if it's 'her'. Granted we don't see a lot of her in the episode, and you may be privy to more background info on her.

What if her ability played off that quote? Something toggling Morality on Jobs. Something like "Once per Work action, Disgruntled Belinda to make an Immoral Job count as a Moral Job."

A variation would be to pay $500 or something instead of Disgruntling, or have an Illegal Job count as a Legal Job.

On all these, you'd still have to Misbehave and all, but those characters that are locked out of or get Disgruntled by Illegal or Immoral Jobs as the case may be, would be able to work them without issue.

And then use Broker on someone else, maybe even a Leader.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The main text for Window Shop and Debutante is the same, but Debutante also includes FANCY DUDS (much like Book's and Gommen's abilities are identical except for the addition of a keyword).

I may actually rename Debutante to "Daddy's Money" and may then change "Window Shop" to "Debutante"... but since this project won't be under serious consideration until after THE BLACK MARKET and SYFY'S FRIDAY KNIGHTS, this is just the opening volley.

As for Belinda, I specifically wanted something that worked well with Burgess. Since his ability is to get more Cargo on Shipping Jobs, something related to Cargo or Shipping Jobs seemed in order...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
http://australianmuseum.net.au/Drop-Bear
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the Councilors ability. I can see some interesting possibilities for its use. The third engineering skill seems out of place (for me).

Insra's tea set and River Tams combat boots - thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I didn't want to do 3 Talk and Fight seemed less appropriate. If Sheydra can have a Tech...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Quality stuff, all-around!
I love the EVA suit to make the Walden less-janky. Good call!!

I also like the non-Leader Belinda idea here a lot. That's a cool concept.

The variety on the Debutantes is cool too, as I think that's a fantastic ability to have more of in the game.

The Red Button is an awesome concept too! Super Cry-baby

The Councilor and Dr. Caron also seem like really good leaders to play. Grabbing gear each turn sounds especially fun. Paying half for Tech gear seems like a very logical addition to the game too.

So, what's with the Floral Bonnet in the mix here too?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Not everyone has the promo card. I actually did it for my cousin (who has all the other promos) but figured I might as well add it here. I don't think it'll be part of the final set list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rowley
United Kingdom
Stafford
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have Belinda in your Crew, you can sell Cargo to a Solid Contact as Contraband?

Let me see if I've done my sums correctly.

Amnon Duul, better to sell it as Cargo $600 instead of $500.

Badger buys your Cargo as Contraband, so you get $700 instead of $400.

Niska surprisingly buys your Cargo as Contraband, so you get $800 instead of $400.

Patience buys your Cargo as Contraband, so you get $600 instead of $500.

The Tea Baron would love to have her in his crew. LOL

EDIT: Corrected Patience's Contraband buy price, thanks George.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
That's correct, except I think Patience pays out less.

Given that she starts at Meridian, she's a nice pair with The Middleman.

As for teaming up with the ol' Tea Baron - great! I want her to work well with Burgess, but of course if she ONLY works well with Burgess, where's the fun in that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rowley
United Kingdom
Stafford
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What would have been more fun would have her being in that Crew last Firefly Friday.

I had 8 Cargo and that pesky Alliance Alert where you can't sell any Cargo was in play!

Selling it as Contraband to Badger would have netted me a nice $5600 and won me the game outright! cry

EDIT: Can't spell with these hands, added a "d" to make "and".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Crovo
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These look great!

I am not sure how I feel about River's boots being free though--Should be at least $200 for the Fight bonus. Free for just the River benefit.

The Councilors ability, while very interesting and innovative, brings up some concerns. I feel it is a bit powerful to be free EVERY turn. It should require a Deal or Work Action. When used, on the following turn "at the beginning of the turn" you return the Gear--can you still "at the beginning of the turn" take another Gear? If so you could indefinitely keep one piece of Gear for free--is that part of the intention? Personally I think you should not be able to return and take a Gear on the same turn. I'm a little more open to that if an Action is required to use the ability, though.

I love the Red Button card.

Good stuff!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I had priced River's Boots at 0 as a Fight analog to Kaylee's Parasol, but you may well be right.

I'll need to take a closer look at the Councilor - and many of these cards! - as time goes on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rowley
United Kingdom
Stafford
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Been looking through "The Gorram Shiniest Dictionary and Phrasebook in the 'Verse" and came across the names of Banning's friends as Cabott and Destra.

Am only up to "D" so far.

Thought you might like to know. After all, you do have "standards."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gwek wrote:
The main text for Window Shop and Debutante is the same, but Debutante also includes FANCY DUDS (much like Book's and Gommen's abilities are identical except for the addition of a keyword).

I may actually rename Debutante to "Daddy's Money" and may then change "Window Shop" to "Debutante"... but since this project won't be under serious consideration until after THE BLACK MARKET and SYFY'S FRIDAY KNIGHTS, this is just the opening volley.

As for Belinda, I specifically wanted something that worked well with Burgess. Since his ability is to get more Cargo on Shipping Jobs, something related to Cargo or Shipping Jobs seemed in order...

Fair enough. Carry on. Carry on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UpStarter wrote:
"The Gorram Shiniest Dictionary and Phrasebook in the 'Verse"

Oh that IS Shiny.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Uniquekind wrote:

The Councilors ability, while very interesting and innovative, brings up some concerns. I feel it is a bit powerful to be free EVERY turn. It should require a Deal or Work Action. When used, on the following turn "at the beginning of the turn" you return the Gear--can you still "at the beginning of the turn" take another Gear? If so you could indefinitely keep one piece of Gear for free--is that part of the intention? Personally I think you should not be able to return and take a Gear on the same turn. I'm a little more open to that if an Action is required to use the ability, though.

I think "as part of a Deal action" fits. The trick to adding any restrictions or requirements is getting it to fit. Space on the card is already pretty tight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
UpStarter wrote:

Been looking through "The Gorram Shiniest Dictionary and Phrasebook in the 'Verse" and came across the names of Banning's friends as Cabott and Destra.

Am only up to "D" so far.

Thought you might like to know. After all, you do have "standards."

I believe you're correct about the double-t for Cabot(t). Just double-checked the credits.

The other character is not listed in the credits, but appears as "Dester" in the subtitles on Netflix, as well as the Firefly/Serenity wiki.

I don't have the phrasebook yet myself, but I have heard that the editing isn't always spot on, so I'm not sure what source to trust! On the other hand, GF9 doesn't know the difference between Cortland (or is that Courtland?) and Momsen (Mumsen?), so...

Thanks for letting me know, though, and if anything else pops up, please let me know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hector Cornejo
United States
Orange
Ca
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These are great; out of curiosity what size do you work your cards? I've built different cards for different games in Photoshop in the past for myself and others and while I do like my sizes (I cant recall them as Im not home atm), I am interested to know what others choose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Those look great, Gwek! Nice work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles-David
Canada
Mascouche
Quebec
flag msg tools
"Courage isn't the matter of not being frightened, you know. It's being afraid and doing what you have to do anyway." - 3rd Doctor
badge
“Happiness is nothing unless it exists side by side with sadness. Two sides. One coin” - 7th Doctor
mbmbmbmbmb
Totally agree sir.

Excellent work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks, guys!

Sebathius wrote:
These are great; out of curiosity what size do you work your cards? I've built different cards for different games in Photoshop in the past for myself and others and while I do like my sizes (I cant recall them as Im not home atm), I am interested to know what others choose.

Hector, I'm not sure what you're asking.

I believe the dimensions are 2.74 x 3.74 inches, but I'm not sure if the canvas size is the same, or some multiple of that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Crovo
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure I follow either, but I think almost all the templates we use are at 300DPI if that's what you meant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.