Kevin B. Smith
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There will be spoilers in this thread (as is the case with most strategy threads, so bail out now if you are squeamish about such things.

Simoun starts out being able to reduce electricity damage by 2. That sounded cool and powerful, and was one of the factors that inspired my wife to choose to play her.

We just finished box 2, and I have been shocked (ha ha) at how few banes dish out electric damage. I'm not sure she has EVER used that power, through 15 sessions. If she has used it, it wasn't more than once or twice. It's almost like a wasted power slot, at least so far.

For those who have played through boxes 3-5 (6 isn't out yet, as of this writing): Does electricity damage become more common? Are we going to look back at the end and think, "Wow, it's great Simoun had that electricity resistance?" Or are we going to think "Wow, that electricity resistance was worthless!"

Her other non-role abilities (recharging knives and dealing with traps and obstacles) are quite nice, but neither feels like a superpower that would make up for having a dud.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Edwards
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It crops up often enough that you should get some fairly regular use of it, and there are definitely a few scenarios where you'll appreciate it a lot.

There's also a location in the base game, Windswept Chasm, where all damage dealt is Electricity damage, so any time that location is in the game you should get some good use from it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
medwards wrote:
There's also a location in the base game, Windswept Chasm, where all damage dealt is Electricity damage, so any time that location is in the game you should get some good use from it.

Ah. I had to go back to see if we had faced that location. We did, once. With only 1 monster, Simoun probably never took damage there.

Thanks for your reply. I'll watch for that upcoming scenario you mentioned. And I suppose the Windswept Chasm might appear again at some point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikhail Kruzhkov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play her in my group and I get a feeling that I use it quite often. We finished adventures 0-3 so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
magnitt wrote:
I play her in my group and I get a feeling that I use it quite often. We finished adventures 0-3 so far.

How large is your group? Generally, characters in larger groups are more likely to take damage, because boons have to be used for explores rather than to boost checks. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikhail Kruzhkov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We are four. But she is a good fighter and deals easily with most barriers with checks. So the damage usually comes from such things as location powers, electric storms, maybe some before or after-you-act powers..

When I picked her I didn't think that particular ability would be too useful. After all, from the previous games the most common type of damage is combat and the rest is usually split between poison, acid, electricity, fire, cold, force, if I didn't miss anything. In the Mask there is an emphasis on poison as we see now. I didn't expect much from this ability in any case. Maybe that's why I wasn't disapointed. So far I feel that in the Mask you encounter electricity damage slightly more often than in previous games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Currently at 1:2 ratio, getting better every week
badge
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
Aside from Windswept Chasm, there are a few more monsters that deal electricity damage in the boxes you haven't seen yet, but the real danger is from barriers. Lightning Storm is fairly common, and you have a 75% chance to take damage there and I think a couple of others deal electric damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Cardboardjunkie wrote:
Aside from Windswept Chasm, there are a few more monsters that deal electricity damage in the boxes you haven't seen yet, but the real danger is from barriers. Lightning Storm is fairly common, and you have a 75% chance to take damage there and I think a couple of others deal electric damage.

We saw our first lightning storm just this week, and Drelm was able to put it at the bottom of that location deck. I can see how it could be problematic, so I guess we have been lucky. It's one of the few barriers that Simoun can't easily handle--she almost never takes damage from barriers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Constantine Christodoulou
Greece
Agia Paraskevi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've played up to the beginning of box 5. I am playing her, and with the role card (the knife expert one --can't remember the title) she is fantastic. With the role card, she can even reduce Combat damage by 2/4 (and not only electricity).

Last night she took out, singlehandedly, the villain and main henchman in 5.1 (won't tell more than that). It was epic!

Her electricity resistance is becoming more significant, albeit the frequency of such occasions doesn't increase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.