9 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Scenario 28: little house of horrors **spoilers** rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Isaac what do you hate me. I have a feeling when you designed this scenario you chuckled internally knowing what people's initial reaction would be seeing it in the scenario book and what horrors it actually contains.

I decided to play a "quick" scenario last night after the enjoyment of playing with my wife for the first time. Seeing as it was only three tiles I assumed no big deal for my three level 7 mercs.

Well that feeling ended quickly. Playing on level 5 the room is populated with 6 cultists all of which curse you each time they hit you. Ohh and three level 7 living corpses that poison. You're basically trapped in an elevator with 9 enemies to start and as you know cultists summon living bones. With a bad draw there were 15 enemies on the board after round 1. By round 6 My brute had about 6 curses on him.

On the plus side everyone dying meant my spellweaver retired and my scoundrel had made a fortune. But I didn't even come close to winning. This is the first scenario where not have a healer made a huge difference.

For those of you that played this scenario what was your strategy (most likely eliminating the cultists ASAP) in that first room and did you play it on a high level. I think I may need to drop down to eliminate the curse issue with the cultists. Either way this is the hardest scenario I've encountered and it's also the smallest.

Bravo Isaac

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Berg
Germany
BaWü
flag msg tools
富士山
badge
Take a closer look
mbmbmbmbmb
We were extremely lucky, as the cultists never really did anything. Also, playing with two, we only had to content with one Living Corpse, and we managed to hack it to pieces before it even took a turn. I was bit disappointed I got to use my shiny new axe only once... Then again, we were only playing on scenario level 2 (lvl 5 cragheart and level 3 [class with triple arrows]).

Dynalange129 wrote:
Either way this is the hardest scenario I've encountered and it's also the smallest.

Funny you should say that - we just managed to finish the hardest scenario we ecountered, and it was way smaller than #28...
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Namely, #27, Ruinous Rift only has a single room.. And what a nightmare it is...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Garou wrote:
We were extremely lucky, as the cultists never really did anything. Also, playing with two, we only had to content with one Living Corpse, and we managed to hack it to pieces before it even took a turn. I was bit disappointed I got to use my shiny new axe only once... Then again, we were only playing on scenario level 2 (lvl 5 cragheart and level 3 [class with triple arrows]).

Dynalange129 wrote:
Either way this is the hardest scenario I've encountered and it's also the smallest.

Funny you should say that - we just managed to finish the hardes scenario we ecountered, and it was way smaller than #28...
Namely, #27, Ruinous Rift only has a single room.. And what a nightmare it is...

Replaying it now with two characters and it's much easier if you plan ahead with stuns. The combo of 4 extra enemies and all cultists cursing made for a real bad time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Adams
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
This one was pretty brutal. We squeaked through on monster level 2 with 3 characters. The summons only happened once this time. First attempt with 2 characters, they summoned twice.

This is a "down to luck" scenario on cultists summoning or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dion Collins
Canada
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
Just played though this ... for the 4th time!!! Downgrading from level 3 to 0 before I could manage it. Although I had just retired my brute and unlocked a second support class that was now low level. Sometimes certain combos of characters make things much harder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
Our group of Mindthief, Sun Spiky/Angry and Circles just played this one at hard level, Level 5. We were shellacked. We didn't even make it out of the first room. The cultists spawned skeletons on the first turn, and it was all downhill from there.

Spoilers for Circles and Sun Spiky/Angry abilities:

These three characters have almost no area attacks. The Sunkeeper Doomkeeper played her his Darkened Skies top with Hawk Helm and Major Power Potion on the first round, wanting to put 5 points of damage on most of the monsters, but as it ended up, the cultists spawned after the Sunkeeper's move, so we still had seven wounded monsters and eight untouched monsters bearing down on us.

None of us know how to make Circles useful against this party. The conjuring sprite did her healing, but two points of healing a turn could not make a dent in all the damage the monsters were doing.

The cultists filled our decks with curses. The 25 hit point elite Corpse and the two 15 hit point inelite Corpses were front and center doing their 6 and 5 points of poisoned damage every turn.

I have no idea how this party is supposed to beat this scenario. Next time (more spoilers for SunSpiky/Angry):

I'll make better use of the Doomstalkers's Frightening Curse (a doom hops from one monster to another), Darkened Skies bottom (when a doomed creature dies, do an Attack 2 Range 3 Target 3) and Detonation bottom (when a doomed creature dies, it explodes for 3 damage to all adjacent).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of game like nobody's business!
mbmbmbmbmb
kleep wrote:
I have no idea how this party is supposed to beat this scenario. Next time (more spoilers for Sun):

I'll make better use of the Sunkeeper's Frightening Curse (a doom hops from one monster to another), Darkened Skies bottom (when a doomed creature dies, do an Attack 2 Range 3 Target 3) and Detonation bottom (when a doomed creature dies, it explodes for 3 damage to all adjacent).

Did you get the wrong deck for Sun class? What you're describing here is for a different class:
Angry face: mb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
Oh you're right. I'm playing Sun in the community scenario and Spiky/Angry in the regular campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
Got it!

We hustled to the Night Demon room as fast as we could. Two of us stood by the door.

All monsters are melee, so we wiped out the Night Demons, then let one monster at a time stand in the doorway and attack us, trying to make sure that the monster in the doorway wasn't a skeleton, because they have Target 2.

After exterminating the Night Demons, we went after the Cultists.

We just pelted them with ranged attacks. Our Mindthief often stood in front invisible to do melee attacks.

It would be fun to do that scenario with a Cragheart.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.