Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Muñoz de la Peña
Spain
Seville
Seville
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, we are planning to play out first game next week. We don't know how to value the 4 private companies. Which are the best? How much should we pay for them?

Is there a standard estimation of the cost each private should have?

Any suggestion for our first 3 player game?

Bests,

David
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
The privates that give a share of a company and pay income are the ones we've been most interested in getting. You can wait to collect the share until you're sure the share will pay more than the private company income.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Berry
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's one example of an online game: http://www.fwtwr.com/fwtwr/18xx/1860/e1169/sr_01.asp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludwig Seitz
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In my limited experience I found the IOW (and thus the Ryde Pier private) to be more difficult to handle than the C&N (with the Cower private).

The problem as I recall it was to get a station in Newport, which was much easier with the C&N (it's kinda easy to get stuck in a corner with the IOW).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hutton
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The IOW is probably the most difficult company to run well. I tend to try to avoid it unless I can get decent privates earlier in the auction. Then you should have enough leverage to get it to do what it needs to do financially.

Even after you've done this it is hamstrung by placement rules for building down the east coast. So you have to decide - do you prioritise Newport or the East Coast? In either case you're likely to need a Friend, and also try to have to stave off unwanted interference from the IWNJ or NGStL.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hutton
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike Hutton wrote:
decent privates

I.e. anything but the Brading Harbour

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.