$30.00
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
56 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

War of the Ring (Second Edition)» Forums » Organized Play

Subject: 2017 War of the Ring International Online Tournament - Registration rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Sosa
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
I will break him.
mbmbmbmbmb
Note: Registration is closed but if you add your name you will be emailed for the next tournament in January 2018.

Greetings gamers, it is time for our annual War of the Ring (WotR) International Online Tournament. This is the largest WotR tournament that I know of, including the live events at Prezcon in Charlottesville, VA and WBC in Seven Springs, PA. It welcomes veterans and rookies alike. This would be the 9th annual online tournament- I hope you will participate!

We use the 2d edition of the game. The format for the tournament will be up for voting:

1. Single elimination but you will play each opponent in a best out of three match. This means everyone will play at least two games, one Shadow and one Free. If a third game is needed then we will rely on Kevin Wojtaszczyk (WBC tournament organizer) Dwarven Ring bidding system if both players want the same side. This allows one side to offer the other rerolls of action dice. Detailed rules will be posted with 1st round pairings.

2. Swiss tournament of a number of rounds depending on participation (probably 5-6) and then possibly cutting to a top 4 (we will decide later). New rounds are assigned approximately every two weeks. Players are free to drop after any round, there will be no elimination. Each round you play one opponent for one game, using Dwarven rings to bid for sides.

Please make you choice when you register below as Elimination or Swiss.

The online client to play War of the Ring can be found at this site:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AtLN1dNc0SyedEx...

Everyone should try to familiarize themselves with the program ahead of time and be able to successfully connect to an opponent. This connection can sometimes be challenging if both players are using wireless routers. There is a workaround that uses a program to create virtual IP addresses I believe. Its very easy but I forget the name now! Most of the people participating would be able to help you connect.

This is a free tournament that welcomes veterans and new players alike. I aim to award at least two plaques, one for the Champion and another for the second place finisher. There is a cost for purchasing the victory plaques, so a donation of $5 per player would be ideal (instructions will be provided later). Last year we were able to award two plaques. Here is a picture of last year winner's plaque:

If sufficient rookies (no prior tournament wins) sign up (4?) we can perhaps award a best novice plaque as well.

Previous Winners:

2016 1st Peter Majek - 2nd: Magic Geek 3rd: Christian Carrasco Millán

2015 1st: Magic Geek - 2nd: Alija Vila - 3rd: Ralf Schemmann

2014 1st: Ira Fay - 2nd: Josiah Leis - 3rd: Stevan Fields

2013 1st: Dan Wiseman - 2nd: Andrew Poulter

2012 1st Michael Hall - 2nd: Ralf Schemmann - Best Novice: Jordan Hilton

2011 1st: Magic Geek - 2nd: Sean McCarthy - Best Novice: Dan Wiseman

2010 1st: Sean McCarthy - 2nd & Best Novice: Bertrand

2009 1st: Magic Geek - Best Novice: Jim Spoto

I expect the tournament to start in about two weeks. I will email everyone who signs below. I recommend you have your BGG emails forwarded to your personal email address.

If you do not communicate with your opponent three days after pairings are posted I will drop you from the tournament. Also if your match goes past three weeks we (volunteer judges and or myself) may be forced to arbitrate a winner. Weight will be given to whomever has been more available to play in addition to match standings and current game board position. Clearly gaming is not more important than other things in your life but in fairness to everyone else I will keep the tournament moving forward despite personal difficulties some of us may suffer. My goal is to finish before the start of the World Boardgaming Championships in Seven Springs, PA at the end of July.

Thank you for your interest in participating and good luck!

Please use this thread only to register for the event. Post questions to the discussion thread:
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/25322239#25322239
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sosa
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
I will break him.
mbmbmbmbmb
Swiss
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Fay
United States
New Haven
CT
flag msg tools
designer
:-)
badge
Fay Games logo
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in, and I vote single elimination since it's hard to schedule with so many different opponents so quickly in Swiss and I think best of 3 is better than just a single game.

But I also think Michael's vote as organizer should count 5x.

I'm voting Swiss since it seems like Michael's vote won't actually count for extra, so I'll just vote however he prefers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralf Schemmann
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
www.der-ringkrieg.de
badge
www.der-ringkrieg.de
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not Swiss...

Ehm, sorry. I'm in and I vote for single elimination.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Carrasco Millán
Spain
Granada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in, of course. I prefer elimination (best of 3). :D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Subs
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in, I prefer option 1, single elimination also

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Poulter
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in, always great fun. Hoping we get quite a few players this year as the on-line numbers seem to be growing.

I'll vote Swiss for a change.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew S
South Africa
Cape Town
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In. Single elimination.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank or so
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I´m in. Vote for single elimination.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan F
United States
Corpus Christi
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Can't wait to play and see some amazing replays. Single elimination seems the best option

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eruantalon _
msg tools
mb
Thanks for organizing again! I'd gladly play and prefer Swiss system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steva fields
United States
vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will play. Vote for single elimination.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in. No preference for format.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harwin
Germany
Leipzig
flag msg tools
I`m in. Vote for Swiss system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Dexter
msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm in as well. Excited to play for the first time. I'll vote for the single elimination best of three.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Barry
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in. Single Elimination would be my vote.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Stark
msg tools
I'm in. Vote for Swiss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Meyer
msg tools
I'm excited for my first tournament! I'm in, and my preference would be the Swiss Format.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah B
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'll try my first tournament. And I'd prefer single elimination.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meduseld Edoras
msg tools
EDIT: I apologize, but I must withdraw my registration. I will not be able to participate in the tournament this year.

Good luck to the participants!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralf Schemmann
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
www.der-ringkrieg.de
badge
www.der-ringkrieg.de
mbmbmbmbmb
Glenn (Magic Geek) would like to play as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alija Vila
Bosnia and Herzegovina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm in!
While Swiss style looks fun on the paper, I am not sure how it would work out in reality... On the other hand, single elimination is already established as a good way to organize it, so my vote will go there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koolin
Netherlands
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am in and would vote for Swiss out of curiosity and principle (although I guess single elimination is more practical).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amina Sabanovic
Bosnia and Herzegovina
flag msg tools
Count me in!
Swiss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter M
Slovakia
flag msg tools
I will defend my title . Single elimination is my preference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.