Lobotomy» Forums » General

Subject: Time to play? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Robinson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Dear Lobotomists,

The time stated in the rulebook for one scenario is about 30-40 mins. We have never finished a game in less than 1h 20!

Normal mode (2 scenarios) is supposed to be 60-100 mins. We just had our first shot at this and it took 3 hrs!

We know the rules well and are playing efficiently. How are other people finding the game length?

BTW; We are really, really enjoying the game - so this is curiosity only, not a specific criticism.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilja Preuß
Germany
Karlsruhe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Same experience here... Including enjoying the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Song Bird
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just logged our first play, we did the Baba Yaga scenario and it took us 5 hours... Horrible rule book...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2 games, a short 1 scenario game, lasted 2 hours.
A 2 scenario game which came close to 4 hours.

The rulebook is a disaster, setup a chore cause of the badly visible highlights on the tiles.
The theme us there but is lost in playing.
Overall didn't like it and it's going for sale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Beck
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Have you listened to our YouTube Podcast "Die Nische" yet? :)
mbmbmbmbmb
That is sad. I really love the game. But it takes really time to play.

But 5 hours for Baba Yaga? We finished it in 90 minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Song Bird
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beckikaze wrote:
That is sad. I really love the game. But it takes really time to play.

But 5 hours for Baba Yaga? We finished it in 90 minutes.

Yeah, like I said it was our first play, so setting up the board and figuring out the rules as we went along took a fair amount as well. In the end we woke up the warden and had to lure him to the middle, have him kill two of our guys and blast him full of shells. Good times tho, albeit too long for some players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Robinson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I made a foamcore insert to speed up set-up, and realising that you didn't need all of the figures out sped things up too. I didn't bother with the big doors either. We set up the board as a team, each taking a 1/2 or 1/4 to work on. Same when moving monsters. Once all the players understand the rules it does get faster - and the cheat sheets really help (Yes, I wrote one of them).

Seriously - give it a chance! This is definitely one of my favourite games now. It's not a short game, by any means, but very satisfying - even if you lose!

And as far as theme goes - the new version of the scenarios looks much more thematic, and with a better layout too. Can't wait for Wednesday!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judgement Dave
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Spukky wrote:
2 games, a short 1 scenario game, lasted 2 hours.
A 2 scenario game which came close to 4 hours.

Can I ask how many people were playing? And how many characters?

I suspect that solo or duo play may take a comparatively long time as there's nobody else to help move monsters and playing multiple characters can often take longer than multiple people playing 1 character each.

I just played a 1 scenario game solo that took 2hrs, but felt that searching the board and moving hordes of monsters kept taking quite a big chunk of time each turn. My hunch is that it becomes easier with 4+ players.

Quote:
The rulebook is a disaster,

Hopefully when the full new version is released you'll find it better as it uses page references throughout and has a decent index.

Also, using a player aid can help greatly.

I know that, for me, my aid (JD's Lobotomy Player Aids) makes play a lot easier than searching the printed rulebook for reference. Other player aids are available.

Quote:
setup a chore cause of the badly visible highlights on the tiles.

It is much harder than it ought to be - so I'm working on an aid for that which I hope will speed things up a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rikard Johansson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
First, sorry for the necro. Searched the forum for any post related to time.

Played this game for the second time yesterday. Unfortunately the first time was over a year ago so I had forgot some things. One of them that it took so long.

My experience yesterday made me remember my first time, where we played asylum field day and no nurses spawned (3 people) so it took forever and we never made it. I've since found out there's an easy fix to that problem, just spawn a nurse instead (at least it seems someone suggested that).

Yesterday we played 5 players the bib mama scenario. Took us 3+ hours and we still lost.

I really want to love this game. I think the theme is amazing, and the dungeon explore thing is cool. But I havent even gotten past the single scenario yet.

Yes, there were obviously things we could have done to speed it up, and I was having to explain the rules to the others, and didn't know them by heart myself, but I can't see us reducing the gaming time by more than 50%.

Does adding more sceanarios scale linearly?

Would like some encouragement or tips to make this game more playable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Pfeifer
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
We have played the game several times, either with two players / four characters or three players / characters. We are using my changes to the rules which can be found in the variants section. We several times played 4 scenarios, which usually takes us about six hours or more. But time is flying then.

I would suggest one element of my changes especially: we choose further scenarios optionally at the trigger point, not at setup. This gives you much more control about the game length. You can choose to add a scenario to add playing time and prolong the path of the warden.

Of course you still need to get to the trigger point at least.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.