United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
OverText
badge
WOOF!
mbmbmbmbmb

Marlborough is a kick ass commander. Unfortunately, he got captured in his first battle, which he lost due to uncooperative dice that refused to roll according to averages (1, 2, 3, 1 ,1, 2, 3).

The ransom is 3 VPs! Is it worth it? Currently in 1690 turn - still early in the war. But, the French juggernaut has already captured 4 vps in sieges.

To lose 3 VPs more just seems too risky. I decided to let the French keep him as a pet.

cry

But now I'm thinking it was a mistake, cause he's worth pretty much 3 corps by himself. Hard decision. I wonder if I can pay the ransom later? After he's learned some French? Put him on layaway?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
The fact it is a tough decision seems to indicate the balanced the costs correctly in design/development. I would say the early in the war it is, the more likely it is worth ransoming him because the longer you will have to earn those 3 VPs back . . . last turn of the game? No. First turn of the game? Probably, yes. And since the price doesn't change the longer you wait, I'd just ransom him now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cisco Serret
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
OverText
badge
WOOF!
mbmbmbmbmb
I re-read the rules more closely - the decision to pay the ransom has to be done immediately. So, whats done is done. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Chick (Formerly Paul O'Sullivan)
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say worth it because he is very good and unlike NPWS the Bourbon generals really are a cut above their opponents in Nine Years. Keep in mind though he can be randomly removed due to his political machinations. Marlborough was a great general, but a political liability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Van Beurden
Belgium
Leuven
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
gittes wrote:
I would say worth it because he is very good and unlike NPWS the Bourbon generals really are a cut above their opponents in Nine Years. Keep in mind though he can be randomly removed due to his political machinations. Marlborough was a great general, but a political liability.

I have noticed it is not easy to make progress in the early game without Marlborough. Of course, ransoming him just to lose him immediately afterwards to political machinations would hurt a lot.

If you play the campaign game, definitely ransom him! Marlborough in the No Peace Without Spain scenario is indispensable! For the Nine Years scenario, though, I'd probably leave him in a French dungeon somewhere .

EDIT: Although Gittes remarks is completely correct too - the Bourbon Generals *are* better and Marlborough goes a long way to making up for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a tough decision. One thing to consider is your position on the map. If the Bourbons are knocking down the gates, bring him back and hope William III does not discover his secret correspondence with James II.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo Marinozzi
Italy
Livorno
flag msg tools
Here, waiting for the game to cross the ocean and appears in the european stores, not knowing about the balance and speaking just because I like it, I must say that the alliance lacklustre generalship makes a dismissed Marlborough a real nightmare.

Just out of curiosity, if and when the implicating correspondence comes out and Marlborough is dismissed, it's possible to bring him back?

I'll resume the wait now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Van Beurden
Belgium
Leuven
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope. He will only return when the No Peace Without Spain scenario comes around. Once in disgrace, forever in disgrace with William III
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Grand Alliance is trying to win with its large armies and superior economic position. The Bourbons are really on their own in this war.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Van Beurden
Belgium
Leuven
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
gittes wrote:
The Bourbons are really on their own in this war.

Do not underestimate the power of the single Catalonian corps added to the counter mix. Occasionally it is pretty important to be able to build a corps on formerly enemy territory!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cisco Serret
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
OverText
badge
WOOF!
mbmbmbmbmb
Tegarend wrote:

Do not underestimate the power of the single Catalonian corps added to the counter mix. Occasionally it is pretty important to be able to build a corps on formerly enemy territory!

Ah good point! I currently have the Catalonian corp with a French army besieging inside Spain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.