7 Posts

Conan» Forums » Rules

Subject: More Rules Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Matty
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
1. page 19 of the heroes book has a black box that implies you can hold two small weapons. Does this mean you can dual wield in an attack, using for example the benefit of 2 daggers?

2. I don't see anything in the rules that explains exactly how hindering affects ranged attacks. Just how it affects movement or lock picking. How does hindering affect other activities and which ones?

3. Can a player move their base movement and then just add gem by gem to add additional movement as needed. Or does the hero have to plan and pay in advance, pay the gems and do the full movement. Then pay again if they decide they want to move again?

4. How do exploding orbs work? Is there some rule for whether they are thrown accurately or not?

5. Can a hero catch a thrown projectile and then throw it back as an attack?

6. Guard vs parrying as discussed on pg. 12. How is this treated differently in applying the armor defense die roll.

7. I see different mentions of how leap works. One case saying that just assign gems for number of spaces and another implying I need some sort of success roll. Can someone explain the details please.

8. The giant snake is a large base. Can it be treated as occupying a space and then melee to adjacent spaces? If it does can heroes attack from adjacent or do they have to move into the snakes base area to melee?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ze Masqued Cucumber
France
flag msg tools
Protze et Chniaque !
badge
C'est le Gomazio à crête mordorée, dont le cri annonce le soir...
mbmbmbmbmb
1- Character needs the Ambidextrous skill for this. See player aid.
2- See last version of heroes rulebook page 18 "hindering die rolls"
3- Yes you can pay for extra mvt as needed. See heroes rulebook p 15.
4- Manipulation icon = Throw action. 2 red die = Damage. Blast icon = area effect + explodes when it hits the ground. See heroes rulebook p 5 & 13.
5- See heroes rulebook p 13 (PS: of course, you can't catcha dagger thrown at your face by an enemy).
6- I don't understand the question.
7- See player aid. You must roll a red die and beat the jump difficulty level (indicated in the scenario).
8- Attacking adjacent areas requires the Reach skill. See player aid. Also, an fully occupied area can not melee an adjacent area (not fully occupied), but the opposite is true. See heroes rulebook p 22 "occupied areas".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Finn
United States
Encinitas
California
flag msg tools
Sunken warplane
mbmbmbmbmb
tommatty wrote:
1. page 19 of the heroes book has a black box that implies you can hold two small weapons. Does this mean you can dual wield in an attack, using for example the benefit of 2 daggers?

A hero cannot use two weapons simultaneously unless they have an ability that specifically allows it (I think Valeria might be able to do this). The black box is not precisely worded but means to say "A character that has the ability to use two weapons simultaneously and chooses to use a two-handed weapon for an attack cannot use the two-handed weapon plus another weapon for the same attack".

tommatty wrote:
2. I don't see anything in the rules that explains exactly how hindering affects ranged attacks. Just how it affects movement or lock picking. How does hindering affect other activities and which ones?

In addition to Hindering hero movement, Hindering also affects hero die rolls, no matter what those die rolls are for (including ranged attacks). The effect of Hindering on hero die rolls is always the same - for every enemy model in the heroes area over the number of other friendly models in the area the hero must deduct one battleaxe result from the dice roll.

tommatty wrote:
3. Can a player move their base movement and then just add gem by gem to add additional movement as needed. Or does the hero have to plan and pay in advance, pay the gems and do the full movement. Then pay again if they decide they want to move again?

Yes, a hero can continue to move after expending their free movement by paying one gem for each area moved. Each individual gem expenditure is a discrete act; you pay one gem and move one area, then spend another gem to move another area, etc. This allows other heroes to act between the moving heroes gem expenditures. This unrestricted freedom to spend gems by any hero in any order is the core procedure mechanic of the game.

tommatty wrote:
4. How do exploding orbs work? Is there some rule for whether they are thrown accurately or not?

To use an exploding orb simply throw it at a target area, rolling for a ranged attack as normal. The thrower must score at least the number of battleaxes as the distance (in areas) to the target; if he doesn't, the orb lands short the number of areas away equal to the number of battleaxes rolled. Note that if the thrower roll no battleaxes at all the orb explodes in the thrower's area. All models in the area, enemy and friendly, are affected by the explosion.

tommatty wrote:
5. Can a hero catch a thrown projectile and then throw it back as an attack?

A hero cannot catch an object thrown by an Overlord model, only objects thrown by other heroes.

tommatty wrote:
6. Guard vs parrying as discussed on pg. 12. How is this treated differently in applying the armor defense die roll.

When a hero defends an attack he can either a) spend no gems and rely on his armor alone (dodging), b) spend one or more gems to use the Guard action only (simply called "Guard"), or c) spend one or more gems to use the Guard action and additionally use a piece of equipment (i.e., one with the Guard symbol on it, such as a shield) which is called parrying. The term "parrying" is just a term for using the Guard action and a piece of equipment to defend against an attack. A heroes armor, if any, is used in all three cases.

tommatty wrote:
7. I see different mentions of how leap works. One case saying that just assign gems for number of spaces and another implying I need some sort of success roll. Can someone explain the details please.

Leaping is only allowed in a scenario that specifically allows it. Leaping costs 2 movement points (either from the heroes free movement or by paying gems for additional movement) and requires a success roll on one red die. If the result of the die roll (i.e., the number of axes rolled) is equal to or greater than the number required for success (as defined in the scenario) then the leap is a success; otherwise something else happens (e.g., falling to a screaming death), as defined in the scenario.

tommatty wrote:
8. The giant snake is a large base. Can it be treated as occupying a space and then melee to adjacent spaces? If it does can heroes attack from adjacent or do they have to move into the snakes base area to melee?

The size of a model's base is not a factor in determining legal attacks by or against it. The snake can attack heroes in the same area as the snake, just like any other monster or hero. The only exception would be if the snake and additional models fill the area entirely, in which case the "occupied area" rules apply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Matty
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Finachetto wrote:

tommatty wrote:

When a hero defends an attack he can either a) spend no gems and rely on his armor alone (dodging), b) spend one or more gems to use the Guard action only (simply called "Guard"), or c) spend one or more gems to use the Guard action and additionally use a piece of equipment (i.e., one with the Guard symbol on it, such as a shield) which is called parrying. The term "parrying" is just a term for using the Guard action and a piece of equipment to defend against an attack. A heroes armor, if any, is used in all three cases.

Thanks for the great response. I'm still confused on the guarding and parrying. If I put one gem on the shield does my armor automatically activate providing an additional guard dice? Same for a parrying weapon?

Or do I have to assign additional gems, one on shield to activate guard and then more gems for armor and parrying weapons?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ze Masqued Cucumber
France
flag msg tools
Protze et Chniaque !
badge
C'est le Gomazio à crête mordorée, dont le cri annonce le soir...
mbmbmbmbmb
Gard is an active defense. If you actively do something (use shield, parrying weapon, dodge) to guard, you have declare it after the attack and use gem(s) to activate it.
You cannot use more than 1 active defense/guard per attack (i.e. you cannot use a shield and a parrying weapon simultaneously to guard a single attack).

Armor is armor. It's passive by definition. It works all the time, doesn't require gems or anything else, and adds to the active defense (if any).

You can use gems to re-roll armor dice and/or guard dice if you wish so.

All of this is explicit in the rules (p 11 & 12).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Finn
United States
Encinitas
California
flag msg tools
Sunken warplane
mbmbmbmbmb
tommatty wrote:
Finachetto wrote:

tommatty wrote:

Thanks for the great response. I'm still confused on the guarding and parrying. If I put one gem on the shield does my armor automatically activate providing an additional guard dice? Same for a parrying weapon?

Or do I have to assign additional gems, one on shield to activate guard and then more gems for armor and parrying weapons?

Let me try again.

If your hero has armor (i.e., a card with the scowling face of Conan on it wearing a horned helmet) you always apply that card (i.e., include the card's dice in your defense roll) to any attack made against the hero. This is free (costs no gems) and always applies (i.e., is "passive") when your hero rolls defense dice against an attack.

In addition to the free armor defense, you may also pay one or more gems to perform a "Guard Action". This represents your hero taking active physical measures to avoid being hit.

If you do spend one or more gems for a Guard Action you may also include one piece of equipment (a card with the shield icon) to add to your defense roll. You must spend at least one gem on the Guard Action to use an equipment card.

So, your defense roll has three sources of dice: Armor (free), Guard Action (one or more gems), and an equipment card (free, but you must spend one or more gems on a Guard Action to include an equipment card in your defense).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurent Leloup
msg tools
That's exactly it.
If you have several equipment that can guard (like a shield and a weapon), you have to choose which equipment you will use.

With one specificity for area attacks (like Lightning Storm):
Only shield bonus can be used, not weapon bonus.

So for instance, IF you have (with a hero using orange dice for active defense):
* a dragon plate with one red die of passive defense AND
* a weapon with 1 orange reroll die of active defense AND
* a shield with one yellow die of active defense
THEN if you are attacked by a weapon, you can use:
- 1 red die for 0 gem OR
- 1 red die + X orange dice for X gems of active defense + 1 orange reroll die (active defense bonus of the weapon)
Note: you can reroll one die among the X+1 orange dice you will throw.
If you are attacked by an area attack like a spell, you can use:
- 1 red die for 0 gem OR
- 1 red die + X orange dice for X gems of active defense + 1 yellow die (active defense bonus of the shield)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.