• [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm not sure how a duel can end in a tie. Can you elaborate?

And if you're playing the Combat Variant for dueling (which contrary to its name, isn't anywhere near as fun as the normal method), if both players draw a tie, they keep drawing till the tie is broken. Is this what you're asking about?

Reference: Rulebook, page 5

Anyway, I hope you're enjoying this great, VERY underappreciated game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy D

Wyoming
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bgm1961 wrote:

If both players slap the table or shout "Bang" at the same time. Or if playing the variant, draw their 2nd hit at the same time.

bgm1961 wrote:

And if you're playing the Combat Variant for dueling (which contrary to its name, isn't anywhere near as fun as the normal method), if both players draw a tie, they keep drawing till the tie is broken. Is this what you're asking about? Reference: Rulebook, page 5

It doesn't do any good to keep drawing if neither player has any more hits left in their draw bag. What happens in this situation?

bgm1961 wrote:

Played my first game last night with 3 players. It was fun, but I want to try it a few more times to get an accurate sense of the game. It seemed like there were some imbalances. For example, it seems like the player who goes after the desperados has an advantage since they are easy to fight and give instant fame points. There were some desperados that only required a single grey bullet and gave 2 Fame points each. Just 2 of these guys and the player was almost half way to winning (we played a 10 pt game).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you end in a tie, I'd say reset your bullets and redo the duel. Any white bullets pulled from the bag in the first duel are lost, per the normal rules.

The challenges are definitely not balanced. What balances the game are the duels. If players aren't willing to go after the leader, and that leader has easier challenges nearby, they will continue to run away with the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
randyd42 wrote:
bgm1961 wrote:

If both players slap the table or shout "Bang" at the same time. Or if playing the variant, draw their 2nd hit at the same time.

OK, about slapping the table at the exact same time.... that's a fair question that hadn't occurred to me as I've never seen that happen. And my imagination was blind that it could. Though of course it's possible.
So short of an official answer from Sean, I'd offer two house rules to consider, choose one:
- Redo the duel (i.e., someone's gotta get shot!)
or,
- Both players take a red bullet and redo the duel (i.e., you both shot each other, but the duel's gotta continue till someone's layin' on the ground!)

And when playing the variant, I'd follow the rules as written. They say that nobody hits if both players draw their 2nd bullet in the same round, and to keep drawing until a player has two hits. So if both players run out of bullets - thereby preventing either from drawing two hits - then I'd follow the rule literally by refilling the bags and keep drawing!

randyd42 wrote:
bgm1961 wrote:

And if you're playing the Combat Variant for dueling (which contrary to its name, isn't anywhere near as fun as the normal method), if both players draw a tie, they keep drawing till the tie is broken. Is this what you're asking about? Reference: Rulebook, page 5

It doesn't do any good to keep drawing if neither player has any more hits left in their draw bag. What happens in this situation?

See above.

randyd42 wrote:
bgm1961 wrote:

Played my first game last night with 3 players. It was fun, but I want to try it a few more times to get an accurate sense of the game. It seemed like there were some imbalances. ... Just 2 of these guys and the player was almost half way to winning (we played a 10 pt game).

Yeah, as Matt said above, there can be some imbalances, but to quote Spock, "What's good for the goose is good for the gander."

You'll find that as you become more familiar with the game, that it goes quicker, which will allow you to set a higher Fame Point goal for victory, which will help mitigate some of the "luck-based" swings that you alluded to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.