Popular Tags: [View All]
Joel Oakley
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a note in the rules following the description of the Exocrawler super project that reads: With the Exocrawler, you can essentially take 2 Actions in the same round, with one of them being a Main board Action.

My concern is that I am interpreting this note incorrectly. My reading is that you use the Exocrawler as a free action, allowing you to take an Action only on the main board and only using an active worker and previously powered up Exosuit. Then, you take any other free actions and then your normal Action (which may be on the main board or on your personal board).

The phrase "with one of them being a Main board Action" makes me wonder if you are not permitted to take your normal Action on the main board as well. If my interpretation (that both actions can be main board actions) is correct, wouldn't it have been more clear to say "the first of which must be a Main board Action?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It should read "with at least one of your first action being a main board action"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Krindle
Canada
Campbell River
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Joel,

I think you are interpreting it correctly. If Exocrawler prohibited you from taking another main board action, it would probably say "with only one of them being a main board action". I think it is more natural to read it as "with at least one of them (the free one) being a Main Board action."

EDIT: David was on the ball again and beat me to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Combs
United States
Spring Lake Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Acutally, since the Exocrawler is a free action and you have to take free actions first, it should read "With the Exocrawler, you can essentially take 2 Actions in the same round, with at least the first one being a Main board Action."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Bradshaw
United States
North Scituate
Ri
flag msg tools
mbmb
I came across this question as well. My thought was the exocrawler simply gives the player a double turn. So, using a worker on your player board, activating the exocrawler and then placing an exosuit on the main board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dhc3po wrote:
Acutally, since the Exocrawler is a free action and you have to take free actions first, it should read "With the Exocrawler, you can essentially take 2 Actions in the same round, with at least the first one being a Main board Action."

Its not a free action , its an additional action that has to be taken on the main board. Think of it as a verhicvle version of the exosuits. You wouldn't uyse an exosuit on a player board and you cant use the exocrawler there.

EDIT: Correction I should have checked the tile first but I have a game in progres and it has not been revealed yet. So it is a free action that lets you take an additional action using an already powered up exouit as above. blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Combs
United States
Spring Lake Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Starman54 wrote:
dhc3po wrote:

Its not a free action , its an additional action that has to be taken on the main board. Think of it as a verhicvle version of the exosuits. You wouldn't uyse an exosuit on a player board and you cant use the exocrawler there.

To use the Exocrawler, you need to use a free action token. You can't take your main action and then place a free action token on the exocrawler to take a second action. Free actions must be used before your main action. Placing a free action token on the exocrawler lets you put a worker in an exosuit and use an action on the main board. Therefore, since you must use free action's first, you would not be able to take an action on your player board (unless it was also a free action) before using the exocrawler to take an action on the main board. So your first action (from the exocrawler) has to be from the main board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexa Elvrayen

California
msg tools
To summarize:
The circle icon on Exocrawler means that using it is a free action. So the action you take through it - placing an exosuit - essentially counts as a free action too, as it does not take your turn. Then you may take your non-free action for the turn, which may or may not be placing another exosuit.
If it didn't work this way, the superproject would be worthless but for points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odyzeus Longbow
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can Patron Valerian's ability and the Exocrawler Superproject abilities stack?

That is trigger both free actions, place an empty suit as a scientist, then do the regular action for the round?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
newsaidin wrote:
Can Patron Valerian's ability and the Exocrawler Superproject abilities stack?

That is trigger both free actions, place an empty suit as a scientist, then do the regular action for the round?

Yes well one of my favourite combos.

You but in effect its when you take the action you do it as though the suit was occupied by a scientist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ALeX
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
newsaidin wrote:
No, Valerian's feature is not to actually do an action, you just can use one exosuit without an worker but that required your regular action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
txnull wrote:
newsaidin wrote:
No, Valerian's feature is not to actually do an action, you just can use one exosuit without an worker but that required your regular action.

Odyzeus is asking if you have Exocrawler WITH Valerian, can you place 2 exosuits with one of the two (either the first or the second) be remote controlled?

Yes you can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Combs
United States
Spring Lake Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TDaver wrote:
txnull wrote:
newsaidin wrote:

Odyzeus is asking if you have Exocrawler WITH Valerian, can you place 2 exosuits with one of the two (either the first or the second) be remote controlled?

Yes you can.

Though doesn't the remote controled exosuit acting as a scientist from Valerian's ability have to be the second one placed, since that is considered your regular action? The exosuit placed from the exocrawler is a free action and must be done before your regular action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dhc3po wrote:
TDaver wrote:
txnull wrote:
newsaidin wrote:

Yes you can.

Though doesn't the remote controled exosuit acting as a scientist from Valerian's ability have to be the second one placed, since that is considered your regular action? The exosuit placed from the exocrawler is a free action and must be done before your regular action.

Yes, it's true. Does Valerian's text use the expression "part of your regular action"? If it does, it indeed must be the second one. If not, if it just "gives you the option to not send a scientist" then I don't see why it can't be done on your (first) free action. Plus, it's not the rule's intention to be splitting hairs, we just wanted to give a definite "my turn is over" point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Combs
United States
Spring Lake Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at the rules again, Valerian's ability actually states that if activated, when you place a powered-up exosuit during this action round, you may do so without using a worker and it is treated as if it were a scientist. So technically, if you activated Valerian's ability and the exocrawler, the exosuit from the exocrawler could be placed without a worker using Valerian's ability on that exosuit instead of an exosuit placed through your regular action.

Edit: But if you decide to use Valerian's ability on an exosuit for your regular action, that should be the last one placed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dhc3po wrote:
Looking at the rules again, Valerian's ability actually states that if activated, when you place a powered-up exosuit during this action round, you may do so without using a worker and it is treated as if it were a scientist. So technically, if you activated Valerian's ability and the exocrawler, the exosuit from the exocrawler could be placed without a worker using Valerian's ability on that exosuit instead of an exosuit placed through your regular action.

Edit: But if you decide to use Valerian's ability on an exosuit for your regular action, that should be the last one placed.

As I said a few posts back, Valerian's ability gives you the ability when you use a suit as the action for the turn. So it is irrelevent in what order you place the free actions . You just need a powered exosuit when it comes to taking an action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.