jon b
United States
flag msg tools
playing solo play knight w/ goblin infestation c. "draw monster"

second turn in. knight was at health 5 after losing to flame giant with only 1 health.
(am i right flame giant loss is a 2 health deduction?, not 1 health)

then lost to wisp monster and rolled a 5 (ignore strength, always roll for hit) so game lost, right since i'm at the 0 health?

much appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alice Penn Howard
msg tools
global_dev wrote:
second turn in. knight was at health 5 after losing to flame giant with only 1 health.
(am i right flame giant loss is a 2 health deduction?, not 1 health)

then lost to wisp monster and rolled a 5 (ignore strength, always roll for hit) so game lost, right since i'm at the 0 health?

much appreciated.

Ok so you were on 5 health. got attacked by a fire giant and lost 2 health which took you down to 3 then encountered a wisp? I dont understand how that would cause you to lose.

What do you mean by you "rolled a 5" were you using the thief's action dice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alice Penn Howard
msg tools
If you used the action dice from the thief thats the wrong dice. If you were using the dragon dice then thats the correct dice but I think you used it wrong.

What it means by "roll to hit" is the middle option on the goblin infestation card.

top option is for if you have a greater strength than the monster/goblin tribe. You just kill is and move on.

The bottom option is for if your strength is lower, like the fire giant. it automatically hits you and applies any of the effects listed under ambush on a monster card if one was drawn.

The middle option is what the wisp is refering to, where the strength of you and the goblins/monster is tied. You roll the Dragon dice and if the result includes a hit on the center spot of the dice (a 50/50 chance) then you take damage as per the bottom option, if the center spot isnt filled in on the rolled side then you survive the fight.

In essence what the wisp card is saying is that no matter how strong or weak the knight it, the wisp will always be an equal strength
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST: The Mysterious Manor
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
mbmbmbmbmb
The most you can lose to the Flame Giant and Wisp pair is 3 health.

The Flame Giant takes 2 Health if your strength is too low, but that's the exception to the rule. All other monsters (and ambushes in general) will only take away 1 Health per hit no matter how much stronger they are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jon b
United States
flag msg tools
okay, just for clarity.

flame giant took me from 7 to 5 health.

i did use the thief die since i didnt realize i should use the dragons die, i didnt see in the goblins rules where it said what die ( just quickly scanned so may have missed it) for that ambush type.

so i rolled the dragon die with no center side, i win the ambush and stay at 5 health. thats a way better outcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alice Penn Howard
msg tools
It says it all on the goblin infestation card on the bottom half. those are the combat rules for all combats involving ambushes from the goblin infestation

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jon b
United States
flag msg tools
since the text i was reading was on a monster, i didnt connect the association.

question about the monsters that cause you to put their token on a tile, like troll and ogre.

i've been playing i fight the ambush and then put the token down which leads me to believe i'll have to fight them again when knight moves to that tile. is that right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
mbmbmbmbmb
global_dev wrote:
question about the monsters that cause you to put their token on a tile, like troll and ogre.

i've been playing i fight the ambush and then put the token down which leads me to believe i'll have to fight them again when knight moves to that tile. is that right?
You've been playing it correct. You can even place the card nearby as a reminder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Furman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Woelf wrote:
global_dev wrote:

You've been playing it correct. You can even place the card nearby as a reminder.

I thought you only had to place the monster token if you lost the initial battle with them? As in:

- draw the troll
- fight the troll
- lose
- place troll token on map

vs

- draw the troll
- fight the troll
- win
- discard the troll, place nothing on map

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stoneleaf wrote:
Woelf wrote:
global_dev wrote:

I thought you only had to place the monster token if you lost the initial battle with them?
Yes, that's correct. I was assuming he meant if the fight was lost. If you defeat the Troll/Ogre when it's first drawn, you do not place it on the map - it goes straight to the discard pile.

Monster effects only apply if you don't defeat them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jon b
United States
flag msg tools
thanks for the clarification from both of you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.