17 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Dungeons & Dragons board game gameplay rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Santos
msg tools
Hey All,
I am looking into getting one of the D&D board games. I read somewhere that the game has player vs player adventures. I thought they were co-op games, which I am looking for. Do they all have PvP adventures or only certain versions?
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you mean Wrath of Arshadolon and its ilk, I'm only aware of their coop modes. If someone's added PvP to that must be a variant I haven't heard of yet. Let's see what others say...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Santos
msg tools
Yeah, I thought I saw something about one of releases introduced PvP but now I can't find that info again...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
IIRC, It's the upcoming D&D board game by WizKids. Send me a PM if you can't find it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Santos
msg tools
Ohhhh...I thought I saw it in one of the current versions???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Santos
msg tools
Not sure...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I Need More Coffee
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember seeing a bit on Reddit about how Kevin Wilson was designing a new pvp D&D game for wizkids, but then they walked it all back and said it was a co-op compatible with the previous Adventure System games. Honestly my enthusiasm would be much higher for the first idea!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
santos314 wrote:
Hey All,
I am looking into getting one of the D&D board games. I read somewhere that the game has player vs player adventures. I thought they were co-op games, which I am looking for. Do they all have PvP adventures or only certain versions?
Thanks!

Only the Legends of Drizzt contains a PvP aspect (It also has full Coop though). All the others are Coop only.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
None of the Dungeons and Dragons Adventure System Board Games feature competitive play, but both Tyrants of the Underdark and Assault of the Giants do. They both take place in the D&D universe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John James
United States
Waterbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's also Dungeon Command which can be used as expansion pieces for the board games but can be played head to head against other sets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
badge
Cheap as chips
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeon Command: Sting of Lolth and the similar boxsets were player vs player. The boxes came with extra cards that were compatible with the DnD adventure sets, so you could mix and match the models into those games. They are all OOP now though, sadly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman L.
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Legend of Drizzt includes scenarios for both co/op and competitive (pvp) play. The other games (Castle Ravenloft, Wrath of Ashardalon, and Temple of Elemental Evil) only have co/op scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman L.
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
None of the Dungeons and Dragons Adventure System Board Games feature competitive play, but both Tyrants of the Underdark and Assault of the Giants do. They both take place in the D&D universe.

that is incorrect. Legend of Drizzt has competitive scenarios as well as cooperative ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Holmes
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Not quite what you looking for:

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) has overlord vs players
Runebound (Second Edition) can have pvp

Descent is def closer to D&D than Runebound.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Santos
msg tools
Thank you folks for clearing up my question! Happy gaming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
crazybyzantine wrote:
If you mean Wrath of Arshadolon and its ilk, I'm only aware of their coop modes. If someone's added PvP to that must be a variant I haven't heard of yet. Let's see what others say...
Not only this, but AFAIK, none of the "proper" D&D games featured pvp. wow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Kessinger
United States
Smiths Grove
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There was the miniatures game a 10-12 years ago with base sets and boosters. I wasn't that crazy about it but bought tons of the minis to use in campaigns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.