Subject: Rule questions: scatter and initiative track rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jens Bunte
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last week I had the chance to get this game out and played a couple of scenarios solo.

I really like the way the game looks at the evolution of trench warfare and the various innovations that were introduced over the 4 years to overcome the stalemate that is nicely demonstrated in scenario 1 „Fix Bayonet!“.
Here, the French infantry just made it to the line of barbed wire without hardly any impact on the German troops...

The original rules play very well solitaire. The game – at least in my opinion – is not so much about winning or losing with one side but more about simulating and understanding the tactical options that were available to the opposing sides at a particular time.
Thus it is solitaire friendly and you can quickly play a scenario and feel very much engaged with the battle.
I also played some rounds of scenarios 2 (quite balanced) and 4 (one-sided affair for the attacker).

That being said, I would like to seek clarification on two mechanisms that I can't seem to figure out with the material currently available on BGG:

1) Scattering:

What exactly is the effect of a successful scatter roll?
I assume that the barrage effect is no longer limited to the targeted area.
Which additional hexes are impacted and does that change the overall impact of a shell?
For example pinning a unit in the targeted hex only without scatter vs. pinning units in all adjacent hexes with scatter.

2) Initiative track:

I think I can read the „Close assault“ and „Rallying“ tracks: The uppermost empty box gives my current DRM and if I pull a corresponding elan marker, the DRM usually goes down.

How do i read the initiative track?
Especially, once I have used up one bonus and started moving markers towards the bottom of the track?
Is it always the uppermost free box on the track? Even if there are markers further down?
One example:
I have 2 initiative markers on the track. One is on the top of the track (the „0“ box) and one in the middle box. Which marker do I move if I want to use a bonus? Where would I place the third marker?

For the more advanced scenarios I would really like to have a better understanding of these rules and being able to use all the means at my disposal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnauld DELLA SIEGA
France
FRANCE
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Güten Tag Jens,

Quote:
I really like the way the game looks at the evolution of trench warfare and the various innovations that were introduced over the 4 years to overcome the stalemate

It was my goal. If I reached it, I am very proud !

Quote:
I also played some rounds of scenarios 2 (quite balanced) and 4 (one-sided affair for the attacker).

Don' forget to indicate me the result in order for me to fill this:
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1489452/game-balance

Quote:
1) Scattering:
Which additional hexes are impacted and does that change the overall impact of a shell?
For example pinning a unit in the targeted hex only without scatter vs. pinning units in all adjacent hexes with scatter.

Very surprised. You are not the first to ask me about the scattering. I thought it was a classic feature.

It is real simple: the artillery targets a hex. Due to some reasons (wind, errors during the ranging fire etc.), the shell may actually land at some distance. If the shell scatters in an an adjacent hex, the targeted hex is safe but the units located in the adjacent hex in which the shell lands are hit.

Quote:
2) Initiative track:
I think I can read the „Close assault“ and „Rallying“ tracks: The uppermost empty box gives my current DRM and if I pull a corresponding elan marker, the DRM usually goes down.

Indeed !

Quote:

How do i read the initiative track?
Especially, once I have used up one bonus and started moving markers towards the bottom of the track?
Is it always the uppermost free box on the track? Even if there are markers further down?
One example:
I have 2 initiative markers on the track. One is on the top of the track (the „0“ box) and one in the middle box. Which marker do I move if I want to use a bonus? Where would I place the third marker?

There is a little mistake in what you did. You put the first Initiative marker in the uppermost free box (the '0' one). Great. I agree.
Then, when you decide to benefit from the Initiative, you must shift this marker down (toward the lowest '0').
If you draw an Initiative marker, place it in the box just behind the lowest Initiative marker currently on the Elan.

for example: You draw your first Initiative marker. Put in in 1.
If you decide to use an Initiative bonus, shift the marker in 2.
Then, if you draw another Initiative marker. Put in 3.
Then if you decide to use an Initiative bonus, then an other, the Initiative would be on the 5. - no bonus allowed no more. If you draw an Initiative marker, discard it without effect.
I hope it is helpful.

Quote:
For the more advanced scenarios I would really like to have a better understanding of these rules and being able to use all the means at my disposal.

Feel free to ask me. I am aware that my rules are not perfect. Don't forget to use the latest version, found in the Files section. There is also a FAQ available here:
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1385149/errata-clarific...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Bunte
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bonjour Arnauld,

Thank you for taking the time to look into this.

The initiative track now makes perfect sense to me.

Could you however please explain which hex to target in case of scatter?

arnauld wrote:

Quote:
1) Scattering:

Very surprised. You are not the first to ask me about the scattering. I thought it was a classic feature.

It is real simple: the artillery targets a hex. Due to some reasons (wind, errors during the ranging fire etc.), the shell may actually land at some distance. If the shell scatters in an an adjacent hex, the targeted hex is safe but the units located in the adjacent hex in which the shell lands are hit.

Do I use the compass for this? I could imagine another 1D6 to determine scatter direction.

arnauld wrote:

I am aware that my rules are not perfect.

Don't worry. The rules give a nice flow to the game. And they continue to get even better with your feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnauld DELLA SIEGA
France
FRANCE
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
For example, let's admit you are the attacker. You decide to use 2 AP and you target J6 (for the both AP spent).

Roll one die on the Scatter Table for each shell (so 2).
J6 hasn't be revealed during the Reconnaissance phase, so no die roll modifier will apply.

1st : 4 = no scattering > the shell actually falls in J6
2nd : 2 = scattering. You have to roll a die and check the big hex just above the compass. Let's admit your roll a 5 : the shell actually falls in K5.

Units in the hex where the shells actually fall (J6 and K5) suffer some effects on the Barrage effects table. In case of Wire, place also a Test marker if your units have not reaches the Wire line yet.

I hope it helps. Otherwise, I would take more time to explain you better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Bunte
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Arnauld,

That helps a lot!
Thank you very much.

I will give it a go and post the results.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.