18 Posts

Up Front» Forums » Sessions

Subject: remembering why I love this game - meeting of patrols rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Ratynski
msg tools
mbmbmb
It has been a long time since I played UpFront, and finally pulled it off the shelf to replay. Did a couple meetings of patrols, and the last one was a hoot and showed off this game well:

Played solo but using the side deck mentioned by another user (3 cards on the side). Played as the Americans against the germans.

The first few rounds were disastrous for the Americans - my BAR and firebase were caught in the open by the MG42 and German fire base, quickly routing or killing 3 of my men. Just like that, things were off to a very bad start - almost the entire firebase was pinned and couldn't rally due to the fire being poured on them from germans, now on a hill at Range 1.

My assault squad decided they had to do something, or this battle would be over fast. they threw smoke and moved forward to RR1 and found a wall to hide behind. A breeze came, the smoke cleared, and the germans spotted them! Fire poured from unseen enemies, killing another GI and routing one more. At this rate, the US would break completely in just a few more draws. Things looked really bad for the US.

the assault squad flanked the MG42 and fire base, and this turned the tide of the battle - soon the German fire base was entirely pinned, which allowed the US firebase to rally and move forward and finally find cover in a building (the first 5 finally being removed). Whew, that was close.

But then, the German assault group opened up again and another GI routed.. at this point the US squad was down to 6 men - one more and the game was lost. But the Germans were closing in on Range 4 and if the US sat still the objective would be lost.

Finding courage, the fire base team for the US completely rallied and managed to fire off sustained fire, killing another German and pinning all but the MG. The following turn, the MG opens up and JAMS! what good fortune for the GIs.

fast forward a few turns - the MG is still jammed, the German assault group is pinned in a stream, and the fire base starts moving forward to Range 3. The germans are pinned, couldn't rally, and before I know it, I am moving the 4 remaining firebase team members into Range 4 (Brush) for victory!

all this in 1.5 decks. Amazing.

I had almost quit the game when the US was down to 7 men, figuring there was no way for them to win. I was completely surprised, and it turned out to be one of my favorite plays of UpFront.

thinking now I need to order the new card deck while it is available, as my original copy is getting worn.

great game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Saunders
United Kingdom
Blackpool
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Game!

A couple years ago at the WBC, I was down to my last men before breaking defending in F--Infantry's Iron Fist with 1.5 decks to go and my opponent was charging and somehow I managed to hold him off to the end of the last deck to win!

This game creates the most exciting anecdotes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wittmann222 wrote:
It's a great game.

Agree! I just wish it can be upgraded to be more user friendly though..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cavallari
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Assaulting A Pillbox scenario in Up Fronthas always been a favorite of mine, even to this day. A crewed German LMG in a fortified position is a nightmare to assault, and this game demonstrates it so well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Mauldin
United States
Texarkana
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmb
What is this solo variant you speak of? 3 cards on the side?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sielski
United States
Pequannock
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is not a great game ... it is an OUTSTANDING game. But why play solo? With VASSAL, I play about once every 1-2 months ... and it only takes 2-3 hours to play a match with a live opponent.

If you're interested ... there is a Up Front Ladder group that play just for finding like-minded opponents. E-mail me if interested, and I can fill you in.

Doc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Logs
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JimboThulu61 wrote:
The Assaulting A Pillbox scenario in Up Fronthas always been a favorite of mine, even to this day. A crewed German LMG in a fortified position is a nightmare to assault, and this game demonstrates it so well.

I got the B/DW expansions from WGV a year or so ago and my first solo plays were the Brits attacking the Italians in a pillbox assault with the desert rules. I tried putting a LMG in the PB and again outside but in each case the dust rules took them out (don't fire them in the desert!). The Brits won handily in each but both were still great fun. I'd love to hear of any experiences others have in such a scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Mauldin
United States
Texarkana
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmb
My favorite Assaulting A Pillbox story happened when the man carrying the satchel charge got killed while exposed in the minefield. To protect my troops I had the SL throw smoke. Then proceeded to waste draw after draw trying to pick up the satchel charge. We laughed about that, saying, yeah he can't find it in all that smoke! Great fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The first year I made the semifinals at tournament at Kublacon, I was also selling at the flea market at 5:00 and it was already 4:30.

The scenario was a Pillbox variant called Wasp in A Hornet's Nest and I took the British attackers. I rushed forwards as fast as I could, figuring at least it'd be over quick one way or the other. Hey! I had never done this well before! Things broke perfectly for me and I got to RR5, fired the flamethrower and cleared the Pillbox in 20 minutes!

I dashed to my room to get my stuff to the flea market, threw the stuff on my table, made about $300 (I think I sold something to the other finalist.)

Then I won the final! wow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I los a tournament when playing that scenario because I never had a movement card in my hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
martimer wrote:
I los a tournament when playing that scenario because I never had a movement card in my hand.

I think everyone has had games where they never drew a card they needed, particularly at the time they needed it. Almost Attacker in a A/D needs a lot of movement cards, whereas needs only a few: maybe to transfer a man or remove Wire.

I am kind of the opinion that Rally cards are the only really indispensable cards of the game, failing to get them will make almost every other card useless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Ratynski
msg tools
mbmbmb
Randy Mauldin wrote:
What is this solo variant you speak of? 3 cards on the side?

I can't find the original now, but I think it was in a review of UpFront:

short version: for the side you are playing against, create a "side deck" of 2-3 cards, facedown. after each turn of the "AI" side, after you draw to replenish the deck (without looking at the draw), shuffle the hand with the side deck and then take 2-3 cards out and those are the new side deck.

ex: German side is my opponent in solo game. At start, as I deal the cards to the German and my Russian troops, I also deal a 2 or 3 card side deck, face down. The German cards are face down as well.

after the germans turn, let's say no actions, just simple discard of 1 since they have a lousy hand. Draw one card to fill the hand, face down, then take all 5 cards and shuffle the 2-3 card side deck into it. You now have 7-8 cards, so after shuffling, randomly take out 2-3 cards, face down, and that is your side deck. The remaining 5 cards, face down, are the German hand

this prevents me, as the Russian, from knowing 4 of the 5 card hand that I just saw (and I knew was junk and would impact my play).

it's not perfect, but adds in some FOW.

I modified this a bit:

If the germans were moving and had a good cover card, or had a good concealment card, I would take that out and NOT shuffle that with the rest of the hand and side deck. I found that always moving 2-3 cards in and out got a bit too random and didn't feel right. your mileage may vary.

you could do this for both sides but I didn't like that idea.

hope that helps.. I found it added in some FOW and made it harder for me to cheat. Out of 5 games I have done like this, the "AI" has won 3 (always as the germans).

I've also played with how many cards make up the side deck (tried 3 with the Russians as the "AI" and not sure I liked it.

dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Ratynski
msg tools
mbmbmb
Dr Brian wrote:
It is not a great game ... it is an OUTSTANDING game. But why play solo? With VASSAL, I play about once every 1-2 months ... and it only takes 2-3 hours to play a match with a live opponent.

If you're interested ... there is a Up Front Ladder group that play just for finding like-minded opponents. E-mail me if interested, and I can fill you in. :)

Doc

sadly, right now I don't even usually have that much time free - spending a lot of time with my 13 year old daughter (she enjoys board games too, but haven't tried UF with her yet, not sure it's her genre). I'll remember this for later.

thanks

dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rri1 wrote:
I think everyone has had games where they never drew a card they needed, particularly at the time they needed it.
Without a doubt. Sometimes it is just really bad luck, other times it is an epic adventure into hysterical laughter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Mauldin
United States
Texarkana
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks Dave. I'm going to give that a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sielski
United States
Pequannock
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aikidorat wrote:
Dr Brian wrote:

If you're interested ... there is a Up Front Ladder group that play just for finding like-minded opponents. E-mail me if interested, and I can fill you in. :)

Doc

sadly, right now I don't even usually have that much time free - spending a lot of time with my 13 year old daughter (she enjoys board games too, but haven't tried UF with her yet, not sure it's her genre). I'll remember this for later.

thanks

dave

Yeah Dave, I hear ya ... mine daughter is 13 too ... and my youngest is 6. She likes to play Mice & Mystics, Splendor, and Lords of the Waterdeep. We're going to try AHs Waterloo if we can fit it in her schedule. UF is a bit out of her area of interest. ;)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Barker
United States
Winchester
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The solo rules for a side-deck is posted here on BGG. Not able to post a link at this time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.