Popular Tags: [View All]
David Jensen
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On Chaterstones splash page https://stonemaiergames.com/games/charterstone/ there is reference to a game component never been used before.

one component that has never been in a board game (update: 1 game has it!)

What is the one component?

Is it related very specifically to a component? Such as a metal meeple or a mechanic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Dringautzki
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
My Blog - Shades Of Boardgaming
mbmbmbmbmb
The first thing that comes to mind is Seafall Box 8, on the other hand it might be something completely different like a special 3D sculp or two level board Lets see!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Penny
Australia
Greenslopes
Queensland
flag msg tools
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather, who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a spirit level to make sure your buildings are built straight?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Penny
Australia
Greenslopes
Queensland
flag msg tools
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather, who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tube of superglue to give your buildings that "real" legacy element?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Penny
Australia
Greenslopes
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oooh, what about a box of matches to simulate a house fire that can spread to other buildings?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Gonzalez
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's Cards which are also Stickers.

So you get them as Cards first and can play them for their effect as a one time use and later you might "upgrade" the action to an actual permanent effect as a sticker on the board or your tableau.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MeeplePeat wrote:
The first thing that comes to mind is Seafall Box 8, on the other hand it might be something completely different like a special 3D sculp or two level board Lets see!

SeaFall Box 5, you mean? But yeah, I'm going to make that my guess. I think the timing of the change of his comment (to "1 game has it") fits with the spoilage availability timeline for SeaFall...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Scaggs
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone that just opened that box while playing yesterday, I'm really excited about the possibilities for that implementation in more games. It really added to the fun of the game. I just wish it would have happened earlier before my group lost interest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed; it's a great idea, and one with all sorts of possible gaming applications.

By the way, for those SeaFall players who have recently opened Box 5:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Do yourself a favor and order a blacklight flashlight from Amazon for $5-10. So much of an improvement over the one in the box...

If that mechanic is used in Charterstone, my advice would be the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Keillor
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately for us, that SeaFall box 5 is when we hit the peak and the game went down hill very quickly. I can't believe how we went from fully loving a game to hating it in the span of a few weeks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure, but that's not the fault of the

(SeaFall Box 5 spoilers and probable Charterstone unique component spoiler)
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Light of Truth AKA ultraviolet light.

There are some very cool things that can be done with it. However, now that we kind of suspect it is what it is, I'll be questioning things the whole way through until it shows up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's definitely a cool component in Seafall, but it's definitely not the component in Charterstone. If I were going to have one really unique component in one of the 5 existing legacy games, it would not be the same as a really unique component in one of those other games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Clark
United States
Centerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
That's definitely a cool component in Seafall, but it's definitely not the component in Scythe. If I were going to have one really unique component in one of the 5 existing legacy games, it would not be the same as a really unique component in one of those other games.

I think you mean Charterstone

But thanks for clarifying that's not it so we aren't anticipating it. Now everyone stop guessing so Jamey doesn't have to spoil anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do, thank you! I've corrected it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Wood
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
That's definitely a cool component in Seafall, but it's definitely not the component in Charterstone. If I were going to have one really unique component in one of the 5 existing legacy games, it would not be the same as a really unique component in one of those other games.

Out of interest what are the "5 existing legacy games"?

I figure SeaFall and PL S1 but what about the other 3? I came up with Chronicles: Origins and PL S2 but Im not sure you would consider them "Existing"

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seafall, Pandemic Legacy, Risk Legacy, Gloomhaven, and Charterstone. There's also one I always forget--it's a deckbuilding game. And there are more legacy games being released in 2017.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
Woodenman wrote:
jameystegmaier wrote:

Out of interest what are the "5 existing legacy games"?

I figure SeaFall and PL S1 but what about the other 3? I came up with Chronicles: Origins and PL S2 but Im not sure you would consider them "Existing"

Thanks.

Risk Legacy was the first one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Brankov
Serbia
Novi Sad
Novi Sad
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't wait for Charterstone! Beautiful.

I also felt that Shadowrun Crossfire is pretty much legacy game in all aspects rather than campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bojan: Yes! That's the one I always forget.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:

Interesting. You can see why we'd make the connection, with the Charterstone description going from "one component that has never been in a board game" to "a secret component in only one other board game" right around the time people were digging into SeaFall.

Now I'm curious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kraack
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
Seafall, Pandemic Legacy, Risk Legacy, Gloomhaven, and Charterstone. There's also one I always forget--it's a deckbuilding game. And there are more legacy games being released in 2017.

Don't forget We Didn't Playtest This: Legacies. Think that might have been the second legacy game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe the unique component is a pumpkin carver, to make your own real jack-o'-lanterns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Bennetts
United Kingdom
Wellington
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe it's scratch-and-sniff building tiles, so you can get that fresh baked smell when building the bakery. Don't spend so much time hanging around the tannery though gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Schmidt
United States
Woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
I hope it's something like a chalk block/pouch; like what you see in weight rooms for people to use on their hands.

The village has a fire, and you assess damage by tossing the chalk pouch at the board, whatever gets chalk on it has fire damage. Anything that is covered burns down. Modified version of chaos orb from MtG.

Would create awesome moments like punishing someone for building all their buildings in a line by sliding the chalk across the board as much as you can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoopder
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
I'll always pick the archer
badge
I had and have a wholly unsatisfied desire to shoot well with a bow. -J.R.R. Tolkien
mbmbmbmbmb
skies wrote:
I hope it's something like a chalk block/pouch; like what you see in weight rooms for people to use on their hands.

The village has a fire, and you assess damage by tossing the chalk pouch at the board, whatever gets chalk on it has fire damage. Anything that is covered burns down. Modified version of chaos orb from MtG.

Would create awesome moments like punishing someone for building all their buildings in a line by sliding the chalk across the board as much as you can.

That sounds...messy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.