Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alexander Corzo
United States
Pembroke Pines
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I have a 9 and 11 year old, and they really like Naruto (go figure). This game looks like it might have a recognizable them. I've also been looking into Ninja All Stars, do any of these games emulate or reflect something found in Naruto?

They seem like cool games, so anyone play both?

thanks

Alex
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Paul Messerly
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Yashima is similar to Naruto in that it's mainly 'one on one' fights between super powerful characters that build up to an epic finish. Each character is unique and you add extra variation by picking a kami deck and adding it's cards/powers to the characters deck. The kami choices can also be used to balance out player skill level.

I haven't played ninja all stars but I've watched a ton of gameplay videos (I almost kickstarted it)... its more of a skirmish game. Lots of characters fighting at once and they are easier to defeat.

If you are just looking for miniatures I think the Ninja all Star ones are a good match for the Naruto theme but if you really want to get those epic fights then Yashima is your best bet. I would suggest watching gameplay videos for both... neither is super easy to pick up and learn because they are both very unique and original.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Sullivan
United States
Oak Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think there is a reasonable comparison between the two, but they're both quite good. NAS is best as a league game like Blood Bowl or other sports games, where Yashima can be enjoyed in a single play. I'm not sure I'd recommend either of them to young kids- NAS has a lot more nuance than most skirmish combat systems (only one of the six possible outcomes actually injures your target, and a lot of the strategy is in stacking bonuses and then choosing how best to use your result), and Yashima has a lot of fiddliness in terms of facing and card interaction. If they're already into card games, they can probably handle it, but it's worth considering. Yashima lacks the ninja theme, but "so you're an awesome wizard with a spirit helping you" is a pretty good hook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Tran
msg tools
NAS takes all afternoon to play and is a HUUUGE investment between all the factions and extra "merc" stuff (I think theyre called ronin?). However, there is league mode that lets players have a small team that grows over time/plays.

Yashima is much cheaper, faster to play, but its main flaw is it balance issues as many combinations are flat out better than others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.