1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: ticket to ride BROKEN! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
William Burke
msg tools
designer
I played ticket to ride years ago and wasn't a fan. I bought the app to try and figure out why people like it. It was kinda fun once I got the hang of it but I developed a strategy that seems to break the game. Let me know if you think it breaks the game. [the original ticket to ride]

1) You take the two lowest valued secret victory points.

2) You only grab cards from the unseen deck. This is to give you a chance to gain a wild card plus an additional card.

3) You DO NOTHING and only grab two cards a turn until you have 43 cards.

4) You connect your highest valued secret vic if you can. If it is convenient you connect the other.

5) You dump as many cards a turn on the biggest lines in the game. This yields you the most points and gets rid of your trains quickly.

6) You spend all of your 43 cards. You have 2 wagons left its the last turn... you win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Meanwhile, other people are collecting cards, building routes, and blocking you.

Sounds like you might be misunderstanding a rule, or playing with unskilled players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Norris
United States
Blacksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
If you manage to click exactly on my avatar's eye, you will win a special prize! Be careful though, as the penalty for missing it is severe.
mbmbmbmbmb
Or another person plays all of their trains while you are left holding cards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Burke
msg tools
designer
its not possible since what I described is the fastest possible way to end the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Juhala
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Petting Zoo wrote:
its not possible since what I described is the fastest possible way to end the game.

And what happens if the big routes are built by the time you start spending your cards, and you are stuck building random short routes?

This is the us map, I assume?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drawing unseen, and not laying anything until the end is the best way of playing. Even more boring than an already boring game, but it does yield the highest win chance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Petting Zoo wrote:
I played ticket to ride years ago and wasn't a fan. I bought the app to try and figure out why people like it. It was kinda fun once I got the hang of it but I developed a strategy that seems to break the game. Let me know if you think it breaks the game. [the original ticket to ride]

1) You take the two lowest valued secret victory points.

2) You only grab cards from the unseen deck. This is to give you a chance to gain a wild card plus an additional card.

3) You DO NOTHING and only grab two cards a turn until you have 43 cards.

4) You connect your highest valued secret vic if you can. If it is convenient you connect the other.

5) You dump as many cards a turn on the biggest lines in the game. This yields you the most points and gets rid of your trains quickly.

6) You spend all of your 43 cards. You have 2 wagons left its the last turn... you win.

I think this can and does work in 2 player games. I would not do it with a full compliment though, because your routes will be taken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John E
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you guys are missing that he is talking about playing the app. What I didn't see is whether he means playing against the AI or not. If yes then maybe you can do that against the AI every time and win but I don't think you'd be able to do that against human players after they caught on to what was going on (just a guess though, haven't tried or seen anyone try what you are describing).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alextnorris wrote:
Or another person plays all of their trains while you are left holding cards

How is this even possible? Where did they get their cards from, or are they just cheating and start with 20?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I just did this strategy against 4 easy computers. Connected both tickets, ended the game with 2 trains left. Came in 3rd. Had 92 points, winner had 116.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Burke
msg tools
designer
Thats strange, because I keep winning with this strategy. Honestly I am a little disappointed. I also won online.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Burke
msg tools
designer
Somebody agrees... I am not alone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Juhala
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Petting Zoo wrote:
Somebody agrees... I am not alone.

I don't think there is an opinion on the internet you couldn't find someone agreeing to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Burke
msg tools
designer
its the us map. but the other players tend to be busy. leave the big stuff for mid game by mid game I have my cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Blachek
United States
charlotte hall
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Morph Mode wrote:
I think you guys are missing that he is talking about playing the app. What I didn't see is whether he means playing against the AI or not. If yes then maybe you can do that against the AI every time and win but I don't think you'd be able to do that against human players after they caught on to what was going on (just a guess though, haven't tried or seen anyone try what you are describing).

I have. A large hand of cards provides enormous flexibilityy, but the cost is losing any routes that your opponents decide are vital to them while you're busy drawing up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How can 43 random cards be better than 43 well selected cards, and how can 43 random tracks be better than well selected, long connections?

Also: Which player will win if all try this strategy? How could a smart player improve the score?

TTR is certainly not the deepest game in the world, but there are still decisions to make.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Kohlman
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand what he is saying. On the two player AI, this is the strategy that the toughest AI player utilizes. I beat him about 70% of the time.

So no, it isn't broken but an effective strategy against mindless opponents. Try doing that against a human player that sees that and it'll be a different story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Stites
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thamos von Nostria wrote:
How can 43 random cards be better than 43 well selected cards, and how can 43 random tracks be better than well selected, long connections?

Also: Which player will win if all try this strategy? How could a smart player improve the score?

TTR is certainly not the deepest game in the world, but there are still decisions to make.

I haven't played TTR in quite some time and never played it much. But I think the theory is that gathering random points to end the game in the quickest manner possible is better than trying to optimize points in other ways. In essence, the "random" strategy ramps up and ends the game before well-thought optimized point collection has time to work.

I wouldn't be surprised if such a strategy works against players who have never seen it, but once players can recognize the strategy and adjust their own strategy to a shorter game, that the odds move back to something more neutral.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan B.
United States
Shelby Township
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
...meanwhile everyone you're 'playing' with thinks not so pleasant thoughts about you and never play a game with you again since you've decided 'cleverness' over fun.

Also, think method barely works against terrible bots. Even the best bots are absolutely horrible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Stites
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dannydeuce wrote:
...meanwhile everyone you're 'playing' with thinks not so pleasant thoughts about you and never play a game with you again since you've decided 'cleverness' over fun.

A design shouldn't rely on players to consciously forego optimum strategy to ensure the game gives everyone an equal shot and is therefore "fun." That is essentially the definition of a broken game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Burke
msg tools
designer

Random cards are better [according to my theory] because it yields a chance to get a wild card plus one additional card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Juhala
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rstites25 wrote:
dannydeuce wrote:

A design shouldn't rely on players to consciously forego optimum strategy to ensure the game gives everyone an equal shot and is therefore "fun." That is essentially the definition of a broken game.

A casual, family-oriented game accessible to players of different skill-levels is also by design not meant to withstand assault by obsessive players placing personal success over enjoyable social activity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talmadge
United States
Clinton
CT
flag msg tools
REFEREE MADNESS
badge
I'm wasting your time!
mbmbmbmbmb
Petting Zoo wrote:
Random cards are better [according to my theory] because it yields a chance to get a wild card plus one additional card.

Just the "chance to get a wild card". Actually, two chances. Drawing face up, you're getting the additional card anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rstites25 wrote:

I haven't played TTR in quite some time and never played it much. But I think the theory is that gathering random points to end the game in the quickest manner possible is better than trying to optimize points in other ways. In essence, the "random" strategy ramps up and ends the game before well-thought optimized point collection has time to work.

I wouldn't be surprised if such a strategy works against players who have never seen it, but once players can recognize the strategy and adjust their own strategy to a shorter game, that the odds move back to something more neutral.

Well, sure, if you are the one who ends the game you will be the one who had most scoring opportunities. So you should try to do that. But I don't think 43 random cards are the best way to do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Burke
msg tools
designer
kohlhatter wrote:
I understand what he is saying. On the two player AI, this is the strategy that the toughest AI player utilizes. I beat him about 70% of the time.

So no, it isn't broken but an effective strategy against mindless opponents. Try doing that against a human player that sees that and it'll be a different story.

What will be different? Whats the counter other than doing the same strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.