United States
Thousand Oaks
California
flag msg tools
Visit the Wargame Bootcamp guild
badge
Muppet !
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a subject that comes up a lot. Logging you game plays.

This logging involves the storing of game specific information; such as when and where it was played, who played the game, what happened during the game, and who won.

Not every gamer is convinced of the merits. After logging my own game plays for almost 10 years I have found many advantages in doing so. Therefore I decided to get the pros & the cons down in an article. Also in the article included are tips on how, and what to include. Here are my reasons why a gamer should log their games played.

What are your thoughts on the matter ?
Btw, its a long read.

Link to my article on VenturaCountyBoardgamers.com

Poll: Do you track your game plays ?
Have you tracked some or all of your board game plays ?

You could have used notepad, pen, BGG, an app, diary, spreadsheet, database, even the inside of the game box lid.
Do you log your board game plays ?

Don't worry if you only log some plays, or you forget. The method of logging does not matter.
Yes (even if I sometimes forget to)
Not yet (but I am plan to because of the article)
No
No (but I used to)
No (I read your article and I am still not convinced)
      126 answers
Poll created by oi_you_nutter

Poll: What are the reason/s you do NOT log your game plays ?
Check all that apply
Why do you not currently log your game plays ?
Ignore the method of logging, just the reason/s why your do not.
Takes too much time
See no benefit
Do not tracks wins/loses
Scores do not matter
Want to but I forget
Someone else does it
      31 answers
Poll created by oi_you_nutter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me personally, logging plays is more valuable during the playtesting process. I enjoy reading others' WIP blogs on how things are going, what happened in a session that was epic (or epicly broken), etc.

When I see others' plays logged, I'll read those too for entertainment, but not something I actively seek out. E.g. stumbled upon one Geek's very funny series of Warhammer Quest sessions that they melodrama'd up for good reading.

I think if I got to play more, and more competitively, I'd want to do this more for at least the heavier strategic games, to help remember good/bad plays or decisions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim P.
United States
Thousand Oaks
California
flag msg tools
badge
Muppet !
mbmbmbmbmb
crazybyCollecting useful zantine wrote:
For me personally, logging plays is more valuable during the playtesting process. I enjoy reading others' WIP blogs on how things are going, what happened in a session that was epic (or epicly broken), etc.

When I see others' plays logged, I'll read those too for entertainment, but not something I actively seek out. E.g. stumbled upon one Geek's very funny series of Warhammer Quest sessions that they melodrama'd up for good reading.

I think if I got to play more, and more competitively, I'd want to do this more for at least the heavier strategic games, to help remember good/bad plays or decisions.

Some session reports are very entertaining, as well as informative. I do not consider that as a type of game logging. You can write an Session Report/AAR (After Action Report), and still not log your games played.

Collecting useful information during playtesting (of a new game) is critical. I have been playtest info sheets to be filled out after each session. Playtesting is an important and difficult task to do well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leber
Canada
Orillia
ON
flag msg tools
Yin
badge
Yang
mbmbmbmbmb
Theoretically I'd love to know all of my board game stats, but I know I wouldn't maintain tracking all of the sessions, and I've already missed so much historical data, and having such partial information isn't particularly interesting to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
I just like to know how many times I've played particular game I own. I don't record any of the other stats like number of players and time played. Simply because I don't care that much about those aspects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven McKinney
United States
Lone Jack
Missouri
flag msg tools
evil appears as good in the minds of those whom gods lead to destruction
badge
The Battle on the Ice, ending in a major defeat in the Northern Crusades.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see a point myself unless you are looking for people that know how to play a particular game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I logged my plays for a year or so (here on BGG) while I was shaping my collection. It was useful and interesting to see what got played and what didn't. Then, around the end of last year, I stopped because it was taking too much time and being too fiddly.

But, it occurs to me that some people use that BGG data to get a look at the state of the board gaming hobby. And I realized that I liked being a contributor to that. But I think I could do a better job of contributing if I logged more than just "I played this game".

I'm now considering logging time, and number of players, as well as a comment or two. But, that will take more time, and so I won't want to do it for every game I play.

I believe a games playing time rating, on its BGG page, is somehow distilled from this way of logging plays. Does anyone know if that is correct or how that works?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Nugent
United States
Tamworth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm trying it this year, sort of a New Years Resolution. Okay, so far.

It's like I tried the 10 x 10 challenge one year.

One year is enough for either of the record keeping tasks. I have more fun just playing games.

It will be interesting to see, at the end of the year, how many games of played with other people's copies - games I don't own myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Harrison
United States
Beavercreek
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been logging my plays for ~3 years, but until this year I was just logging that the game had been played with no other stats. I really recommend adding the Splendiferous Play-Logging Utility to your BGG quickbar if you want to make a more complete log.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
I log my plays, but not the detail.

I mostly interested in seeing when I played last, especially when it's been a long time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That was a long article to what I thought was a fairly simple thing

Do you want to log your games?

If you answer yes to this, then go ahead and log them

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim P.
United States
Thousand Oaks
California
flag msg tools
badge
Muppet !
mbmbmbmbmb
Tineren wrote:
I've been logging my plays for ~3 years, but until this year I was just logging that the game had been played with no other stats. I really recommend adding the Splendiferous Play-Logging Utility to your BGG quickbar if you want to make a more complete log.

Thanks for reminding me about the SPLU

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim P.
United States
Thousand Oaks
California
flag msg tools
badge
Muppet !
mbmbmbmbmb
bortmonkey wrote:
That was a long article to what I thought was a fairly simple thing

Do you want to log your games?

If you answer yes to this, then go ahead and log them

But people do not know about the benefits...and then it's too late. Non-loggers Remorse... it's a thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.