Norbert Chan
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Wow, so this is what you get for 100 pieces of gold.
mbmbmbmbmb
When I showed up as the 5th person, they asked me what I wanted to play and I suggested Terraforming Mars. Someone else suggested playing the full corporate game and surprisingly, everyone agreed. I was dealt Saturn Systems and decided to throw away Phobolog. I kept 9 cards. In player order, Greg was Interplantary Cinematics, Don was Econline, Trevor was Mining Guild, I was 4th while Jean was Helion.

Greg played many cards down in the first generation. Don had only kept 1 card, and played it, the Immigration Shuttles. Trevor played advanced alloy and rover construction. I played a 15 M€ card that gave me a boost in titanium, but it also had a Jovian tag, so I got a M€ production boost as well.

Trevor played a protected valley on turn 2 and he was having a good game. Trevor claimed the builder milestone on turn 4 as the mining guild has 2 built in brown tags. It’s not until turn 6 till Don claims the gardener. Jean has the AI central, and gets the planner award on turn 6 as well.

Since no one had generated any heat, Mars was cold for a long time. So much so, no one could boost their plant production. I got up to 2 plant production using a card that gives a production per microbe tag. But greenery tiles weren’t going to win this particular game, and Don felt he was stuck as it needed to be warm to get plant production going. Don did have the 5 M€ card that protects you from losing plants or animals to other people’s cards, so he was in good shape. So the lack of greenery tiles was going to benefit someone who had production elsewhere, and that person was Trevor. He had a card that let you convert a steel for 5 M€ , and another card that let him pay 7 M€ to go up one steel production. With his extra income, Trevor was able to afford cards to put down oceans and get his TR up fairly quickly. He also had pets down on the second turn.

Trevor funded the miner award, Greg funded the themalist while Jean funded the scientist.

My game was trying to make use of Jovian tags, but Trevor to my right, and Jean to my left were playing good defence to prevent me from getting any Jovian tag cards.

The game went one turn further when I refused to pay 14 M€ to buy one more heat; I needed more time to find Jovian tags. I don’t believe anyone else wanted such a long game. I didn’t mind, even though I knew who was going to win, I like looking at all the new cards that we haven’t seen. For that, Trevor hit me for 3 plants for extending the game, which in the end cost him 1 VP since I couldn’t build a greenery tile between his and my city.

Scores:
Trevor 74 (34 TR, 5 builder, 5 miner, 4 greenery, 9 city, 17 cards),
Don 62 (28 TR, 5 gardener, 5 miner, 8 greenery, 4 city, 17 cards),
Greg (36 TR, 5 scientist, 2 greenery, 4 city, 9 cards),
Norbert 55 (31 TR, 5 Thermalist, 2 miner, 4 greenery, 8 city, 5 cards),
Jean 46 (26 TR, 5 planner, 2 scientist, 2 greenery, 5 city, 6 cards).

Trevor is green, Greg is red, Don is black, I am yellow and Jean is blue. Trevor had the capital city which gives VPs adjacent to oceans, so that city socred 5 VPs, and he had pets for 5 or 6 VPs as well.

It doesn’t appear we will be playing the corporate era, but the standard deck now. The standard game only takes 2 hrs, while the corporate era with all the cards took us 4 hrs. I still had fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Casey
msg tools
mbmbmb
I'd expect the slow heat to benifit ecoline as that likely means they would hold a greenery monopoly for most of the game. Between their starting production, discount, and placement bonuses, I would still expect them to get around 2/3 of a greenery a turn. Low temp also likely means less rocks falling from the sky.

I wouldn't give up on the full game yet. It adds a little more time, but shouldn't be doubling game length as your game seemed to. I'm guessing the extra time reading unfamiliar cards during your drafting is what mainly slowed you down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Sandall
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not buying the last heat for 14 means you let someone else buy it while you were hoping for more Jovian cards with no guarantee of getting any meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Cooper
msg tools
mbmbmb
Interesting that while Don bought only one card of ten in generation 1, he still finished second in a 5 player game. Nice job adapting, Don.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.