Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: coax_me [+] [View All]
Khian Foo
Malaysia
Ipoh
Perak
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I like the Japanese theme and the miniature a lot,but I'm not sure about the gaming mechanism. I backed a few games from CMON like the Others, for sure their miniatures are awesome as always, but I didnt get to play all my miniatures and my group of friends are not interested in the combat system. I like games like scythe and 7 wonders. Also, I like the idea of no-dice mechanism. the gameplay video is pretty awful so I dont actually understand the gameplay. Can someone convince me to buy this game? or at least list some solid ideas or facts that this is will be good game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Justice
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you need the ~$200 for rent my suggestion would be to pass. Otherwise, yes? I'll consult the oracle and get back to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Con
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
badge
Penny of king Sigtrygg II Silkbeard of Dublin
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a promising looking game from a designer who at his best is great. Backing is a gamble. If we back and the game is not as good as we hope, we lose, but at least we have a bunch of great minis. If we don't back, and the game is as good as we hope, then we miss out on a lot of desirable game content that is Kickstarter Exclusive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santiago Pedrazzoli
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
Alliances and negotiation, but not just "hey lets do this" or "help me with this". Real efects of alliances.

Innovative (similar to Cry Havoc) battle system.

Cool action selection, by choosing the political mandates.

Different factions with different powers

Area control

Eric Lang is quite a bit a confidence seal for me regarding to game mechanics. But for sure, he can do a bad design, he´s human.

Those are the reasons why I think this desrves my attention (specially first 3 reasons, and specially first 1)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomasz Podsiadło
Poland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Back it, just to feel entitled to take part in new internet drama over this kickstarter!
Worth it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Reisinger
msg tools
mbmb
People think the diplomacy in this game is going to be awesome, Im not so sure.

Ive said it many times but I think the map is just too small for diplomacy to be a big factor. Sure, you will have your moments of betrayal but nothing like games like Here I Stand or Game of Thrones.

In those games diplomacy is huge because you have a vast area to protect btu not enough units to do it yourself, therefore diplomacy takes on more importance and betrayal hurts more. In this game with only 8 regions there is no area to protect, everyone will be everywhere and in my opinion diplomacy will have one 'ah ha!' Moments, and thats about it.

Larger map, more area, less units... that is what builds tension in diploacy games... in my opinion!

Cool minis though brah~~~
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pascal
Switzerland
Lausanne
flag msg tools
badge
Lightning Plasma !
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me try (so maybe i also convince myself )

Easy Pros:
- miniatures are quite cool
- a six clan added for free (more game play, nice !)
- component upgrade (this is something I like)
- 6(+) player game
- No dice !!!!

Pros:
- Author is renown (E. Lang), has a good set of good games (but also some bad...like any)
- Blood Rage (the spiritual predecessor of rising sun) video & gameplay was just awful, the game looks so stupid... and then you try it and you realize it's just super awesome.
- Lose battle - win war mechanic. I really like this aspect, where you can't win all the battles but you have to select the one you want to win. this is an aspect that i thought was stupid in blood rage...until i tested it and though it was incredible.
- battle mechanic. Not revolutionary but cool + The loser of a battle doesn't lose everything.
- The Ally/solo aspect. I think they describe it quite well in their update number 9. It looks "easy" on paper, but i'm sure in a real game the choices are more complex than what they seems. i think (hope) this is where the game will shine
- Unique clan ability (which is something BR didn't have), should bring some diversity in the game approach
- Rythme: the turn looks like relatively smooth. Play one of the 4 actions available to you. Apply effect, move on.
- the different majority track that you try to get (for honor, for the kami, for the territory) makes some interesting choices
- The monster that provide you small but interesting bonus
- The theme

cons:
- all material won't fit in the box (i guess...and i really hate this)
- Unique clan ability (hopefully none is overpowered...it doesn't look like but we never know)
- game duration. A bit higher than my usual taste
- SG monster. hopefully they can be added smoothly without disturbing too much the game mechanic (hard to say at this stage)

Easy cons:
- you won't be certain until you try the game yourself

Summary:
Like any kickstarting campaign, you take a risk.
I decide to back it because of the theme, the diplomacy aspect, the author and that it bring something different to my game collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Marzel
Israel
flag msg tools
khian wrote:
I like the Japanese theme and the miniature a lot,but I'm not sure about the gaming mechanism. I backed a few games from CMON like the Others, for sure their miniatures are awesome as always, but I didnt get to play all my miniatures and my group of friends are not interested in the combat system. I like games like scythe and 7 wonders. Also, I like the idea of no-dice mechanism. the gameplay video is pretty awful so I dont actually understand the gameplay. Can someone convince me to buy this game? or at least list some solid ideas or facts that this is will be good game

I've wrote an overview of the game, you can read it here:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1741858/game-overview-what-...

I honestly don't think you'd like it: Scythe is a very low-interaction, low-engagement game; same for 7 wonders. If those are the kinds of games you like, highly mechanical games where you need to make a plan and stick with it with very little interaction between the players, than RS is surly not for you - this is a high-interaction negotiations game, as far as a game can be from Scythe.

Yes, the minis are great, and I think I'm going to enjoy the game alot. But based on what you stated you like (and by your profile), I think this game is not for you, and you would not enjoy it, at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Justice
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ElCapitan76 wrote:
If you need the ~$200 for rent my suggestion would be to pass. Otherwise, yes? I'll consult the oracle and get back to you.

Remember, I am JUST a messenger. See the oracle's response below. FYI, the first reading is free, follow ups are 5gg.

THE ORACLE wrote:

Sorry, kid, you’re not The One. You’ve got the gift but it looks like you are waiting for something. I’m sorry kiddo, I really am. You have a good soul. And I hate giving good people bad news.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Don't forget to have fun!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're asking to be convinced, do it. You want us to talk you into it. So do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Marzel
Israel
flag msg tools
Lowecore wrote:

Ive said it many times but I think the map is just too small for diplomacy to be a big factor. Sure, you will have your moments of betrayal but nothing like games like Here I Stand or Game of Thrones.

In those games diplomacy is huge because you have a vast area to protect btu not enough units to do it yourself, therefore diplomacy takes on more importance and betrayal hurts more. In this game with only 8 regions there is no area to protect, everyone will be everywhere and in my opinion diplomacy will have one 'ah ha!' Moments, and thats about it.

Larger map, more area, less units... that is what builds tension in diploacy games... in my opinion!

Nothing Personal only has 9 control "zones" (the gangsters) and there's tons of diplomacy and negotiations in it - more than GoT, actually.

Diplomacy is not about how big the map is, but about what you can give and what you an get in return. In GoT there's only attacking/not-attacking/supporting. In RS there's gold to give, zones to go into/out-of, assisting allies/enemies in combat, choosing mandates, fighting over Kami and so on. There are tons of things to talk about and tons of things to give other players, so the diplomacy would work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter D
Belgium
Hove
flag msg tools
badge
Game Over Man, Game Over!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just dropped me backing. I think the game looks great, but I fear it won't get much playing time in my group. I can't justify for myself spending this much money on a game that would stay on the shelf.

I guess this is good news for my backer-level in the secret-cabal kickstarter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nuke_morningstar
Turkey
Istanbul
flag msg tools
badge
No Clear Mind
mbmbmbmbmb
I would definitely skip this game if I were you. If you've watched the gameplay and didn't like it, it will be waste of money. (And you can get a few premium games instead)

Edit: I just cancelled my pledge for the game after as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game will only gather dust in your collection unless you know 2+ other people who want to play it.

I am a backer yet totally unconvinced.

The components are attractive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
Blood Rage fan - Raven Clan
mbmbmbmbmb
Another pro: it's a CMON game from Eric M Lang - with lots of kickstarter exclusives.

So even if you dislike the game, your kitchen table breaks down so you can't play games, you lose your friends, your new grilfriend is allergic to all things Japanese or whatever - you know 100% sure that you can always re-sell the game for more money than you spent on buying it.

For the rest: there's people that dislike the "10" by Pearl Jam, even if it's chosen as the best album ever (I think). You just can't force taste.

So nothing to worry about! cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Reynolds
United States
Vermontville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Back it if you can afford it. If you end up liking it, great! If not, you'll be able to resell it for at least twice what you paid for it. It's a win-win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Simple rule: if you need to be convinced ... then don't back it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Paltrineri
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is probably the most level headed, accurate Rising Sun comment I've seen in the middle of this whole mess of a Kickstarter. And when I call it a mess, I'm referring to the discussions here on BGG, not the actual funding campaign.

Eric Lang has made some of my favorite games. This one looks cool, so I'm taking a chance. If it turns out to not be the greatest game of all time, the last thing I will want is a bunch of self-righteous jerks telling me what an idiot I am for backing it, which is exactly what will happen.

I just don't understand why people take this all so seriously. It's just a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Reisinger
msg tools
mbmb
JoeNothin wrote:
Lowecore wrote:

Nothing Personal only has 9 control "zones" (the gangsters) and there's tons of diplomacy and negotiations in it - more than GoT, actually.

Diplomacy is not about how big the map is, but about what you can give and what you an get in return. In GoT there's only attacking/not-attacking/supporting. In RS there's gold to give, zones to go into/out-of, assisting allies/enemies in combat, choosing mandates, fighting over Kami and so on. There are tons of things to talk about and tons of things to give other players, so the diplomacy would work.

For both our sakes I hope your are right. I really hope this game will be good and gets added into a regular roatation of our 6 player games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Marzel
Israel
flag msg tools
Lowecore wrote:
JoeNothin wrote:
Lowecore wrote:

For both our sakes I hope your are right. I really hope this game will be good and gets added into a regular roatation of our 6 player games.

Honestly, I'm not seeing it as a 6 player game. With the way the mandates work, I wouldn't play it with more than 4; with 5 or 6, there's just too few actions for each player, and the board would be very crowded. This looks like a great 4 player game, fine 3 player game, and mediocre 5-6 player game.

I might be wrong, but this is what it seems like so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
Blood Rage fan - Raven Clan
mbmbmbmbmb
JoeNothin wrote:
Honestly, I'm not seeing it as a 6 player game. With the way the mandates work, I wouldn't play it with more than 4; with 5 or 6, there's just too few actions for each player, and the board would be very crowded. This looks like a great 4 player game, fine 3 player game, and mediocre 5-6 player game.

I might be wrong, but this is what it seems like so far.

Blood Rage: 9 (Age I) - 7 provinces (Age III) for 5 players .. not that much difference.

But yea, it feels kind of crowded.
One would expect more provinces.

Map of Japan ~1570

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zoltán Dudás
Hungary
flag msg tools
pkreynolds wrote:
Back it if you can afford it. If you end up liking it, great! If not, you'll be able to resell it for at least twice what you paid for it. It's a win-win.

I am not so sure you will be able to sell it for that much. At least not for quite a long time after its release and / or not everyone.
I mean its a supply / demand thing.
Arcadia Quest was backed by less than 5k ppl, while BR, Others, AQ Inferno was around 10k. We are already at almost 20k backers and prolly will get another 5-10k easy until the campaign finishes. With a lot of these ppl already buying extra copy to sell.
So just from private backers you will have already larger supply.
Additionally there is retailer pledge, where certain retails can back and then sell KS exclusive stuff in their retail store. None of the above mentioned games had this. Again more supply for KS exclusive edition.

And then considering:
the hype -> ppl who want it (or invest to sell later) are already in -> less demand later
gametype -> 3+ player; negotiation mechanic will probably turn away quite a few in my opinion (of course I cant supply any numbers)

So compared to previous CMON games the supply / demand ratio is def worse for any re-sellers in my opinion.
Of course it will vary from region to region; how long you wait; if there will be any expansions, other KS later; etc

And I am not into this stuff, so who am I tell how it is
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Roman
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright.

Eric Lang's real name is Keyser Soze.

Back it now or just like that... it's gone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Sands
Canada
New Westminster
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ElCapitan76 wrote:
ElCapitan76 wrote:

Remember, I am JUST a messenger. See the oracle's response below. FYI, the first reading is free, follow ups are 5gg.

THE ORACLE wrote:

Sorry, kid, you’re not The One. You’ve got the gift but it looks like you are waiting for something. I’m sorry kiddo, I really am. You have a good soul. And I hate giving good people bad news.

"Know thyself."

Awesome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Soares
Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My three reasons are:
1. It's an Eric Lang game.
2. It's an Eric Lang game.
3. It's an Eric Lang game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.