Special K

St Albans
msg tools
mbmbmb
Time for a new game, and I don't know why I'm struggling so much this time around. I'm spoiled for choice with new Grand Strategic games lately! Contenders are mainly AE:Totaler Krieg and Unconditional Surrender.

What I'm struggling with is the level of abstraction with Naval/Air systems with this new breed of games. Europe Engulfed and Supreme Commander also seem to put all the onus on land combat. It was certainly the showcase of the war in Europe but the battle of the Atlantic and Battle of Britain were also quite important.....especially if you want to press strategic economic attrition further as the Germans. I've recently played a good round of Axis and Allies 1940 with the Germans bombing the heck out of the UK, and a game of A3R using the same heavy economic battle with UK to finish 1940 and a slower start against Russia. Somehow at the end of 1942, the Germans solidly hold Leningrad, Moscow, and Suez.

I think EE and USE are good for a new economic outlook but haven't played them.

Question is, what games do you recommend that handle Air and Naval combat well? The ability to wage the Battle of Britain is also important.....even if it only lasts one turn!

A3R and WWII:ETO seem to model this the best in my opinion. WiF is good too. HW has some capabilities. I already own all these titles but you know how it is when you just want something new!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Zurunkel
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You will get more responses by moving this to the Wargames sub-domain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.